National University Virtual High School
National University Virtual High School (NUVHS) offers the premier online learning experience and strives to provide students with an opportunity to achieve academic excellence through an active, engaging and cooperative online learning environment.
NUVHS is a private, nonprofit online secondary school that enrolls both full time students and those who prefer to attend our school part-time to supplement their onsite middle or high school program. Through our open enrollment format, students may start classes at any time throughout the year.
Students may log into University of California "a-g" and NCAA approved online courses at any time and are also provided with 24/7 technical support.
NUVHS students work at a flexible course completion pace, taking one or multiple semester-length courses at a time with 5-16 weeks to complete each class.
All NUVHS courses are written to Common Core State Standards.
Courses are taught by credentialed, highly-qualified subject area teachers who are specially trained to provide online instruction.
- Top Ranked CA School
- Grades: 6-12
- Students: 2,763 students
- Yearly Tuition: $310
- Acceptance rate: 98%
- Average class size: 25 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Learning Difference Programs
Learning Programs Supported
Mild Learning Differences
Summer School Offered
Summer Program Details
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 48%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
Number of AP Courses
List of Courses Offered
AP Language and Composition A/B, AP Calculus A/B, AP Calculus B/C, AP Economics (Macro), AP European History A/B, AP French Language and Culture, AP Government, AP Human Geography, AP Literature and Composition A/B, AP Psychology A/B, AP Spanish Language and Culture, AP Statistics A/B, AP US History A/B, AP World History A/B
Classroom Dress Code
(All courses are offered online )
(All courses are offered online )
Finances and Admission
None / Rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
Current tuition rates for the 2020-21 academic year are $310 per semester course; $395 per semester Advanced Placement (AP) course. Some courses require a $60 materials fee. There is a one-time, non-refundable application fee of $60.
National avg.: 85%
Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.
Mobile Apps Club, Photography Club, Sports & Fitness Club
- As an affiliate of National University, NUVHS can offer academically strong students the opportunity to get a jump start on college by earning dual credit when they take classes through National University while still in middle or high school. Additionally, all NUVHS students have access to the University`s Writing Center and Math Center tutors, the Career Center, and the National University Library, one of the nation`s largest online libraries, with over 84,000 e-books and 16,500 periodicals.
- NUVHS enrolls students throughout the U.S. and internationally.
Profile last updated:
Endorse National University Virtual High School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
What A Teacher Does
A teacher wears many hats. Here's a look at her duties and responsibilities.
How Diverse Are Private Schools?
Decades ago private schools could have been accused of being elitist. You had to have money to attend. The student populations were fairly homogeneous. Fortunately that has changed.
Private School Job Searching 101
Here is a guide for teachers and administrators seeking employment in private schools. Think of it as a roadmap for the job search process.