Tel: (973) 882-8822
New Beginnings Photo #2 - Our students grow in their understanding of academics, social skills and the world around them. Developing a passion for learning is our common goal.
New Beginnings Photo #3 - Our staff facilitates student communication in a variety of ways. We believe that effective communication skills lead to greater personal confidence and success.
New Beginnings is dedicated to helping children with ASD learn and grow towards greater independence.
We view autism as a spectrum of developmental disorder of an organic etiology which has at its core profound impairments in the areas of socialization, communication, sensory responsiveness, adaptive behavior, and, often, academic development.
Together with the family we address those areas in natural contexts with the ultimate goal being the integration of our students into the larger community.
Our approach derives from research and best practices in addressing those deficits particular to the autism spectrum.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other associations(s) for exceptional children|
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
ASAH Private Special Education
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||as a co-morbidity with ASD|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||143 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||19 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition rate is set by the NJ Dept. of Ed. and generally is paid by the sending school district.|
|Admissions Director||Kim Saunders|
|Admissions Associate||Candace Galvez, Principal|
|Total Sports Offered||1 sport|
- The individual needs of each student at New Beginnings are met by a team of exceptional professionals including the classroom teacher and assistants; speech, physical and occupational therapists; behaviorists; and social workers. Our mission is to teach our students to function as independently and successfully as possible in their present and future schools, jobs and communities. To achieve this end, we have established carefully structured educational, training, support and service programs drawing upon diverse models, depending on the particular needs and readiness of each student. Applied behavioral analysis and discrete trial training are fundamental to the program; other teaching methods, including computer-aided lessons, are incorporated, according to each student’s readiness. Sensory, motor, perceptual and language skills are introduced through materials and activities that are both student-centered and teacher-directed. Activities emphasize the process rather than the product, fostering the students' sense of accomplishement and pride. Beacause students learn best through verbal communmicaton combined with hands-on experiences, our program provides a variety of activities designed to promote their overall growth and development. We value the active involvement of our parents at New Beginnings. In addition to monthly evening parent training and support meetings, we sponsor "Parent-Helper days" when parents (and grandparents) come to work with their children in the classrooms during the school day. These Parent-Helper days permit the students to see their parents as important and concerned members of the school environment, while providing parents with opportunities to observe the student with teachers and other students. Parents gain valuable insights and techniques from the expertise of the staff, and, at the same time, share their own talents and interests.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Fairfield Grades: 10-12 | 53 students
24 Dwight Place
Fairfield, NJ 07004
(973) 808-9555 1.1 10-12
- Fairfield Grades: PK-K | 70 students
56 Pier Ln
Fairfield, NJ 07004
(973) 227-4161 1.5 PK-K
- Fairfield Grades: NS-K
76 Little Falls Road
Fairfield, NJ 07004
(973) 227-5577 1.5 NS-K
- Belleville Grades: NS-K | 40 students
444 Union Ave
Belleville, NJ 07109
(973) 751-4050 8.7 NS-K
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
Each state sets its own teacher certification requirements. While many private schools do not require you to be certified, it is in your best interests to obtain certification. This article includes contact information for state education offices so you can begin the process.
Marketing the small private school can be done affordably and effectively. We suggest five easy steps to make that happen.