- At Banyan School, our mission is to educate elementary and middle school students with learning disabilities by identifying individual strengths and abilities, continuously monitoring individual progress, and adapting the curriculum to meet each student's changing educational needs.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Private Special Education Centers|
ASAH Private Special Education
|Grades Offered||Grades 2-8|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia, Language-Based Learning Difficulties, ADHD, Asperger|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||50 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||15 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||3:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- The Banyan School is a non-profit elementary and middle school program designed to meet the challenging instructional needs of students with significant language-based learning disabilities. Specializing in dyslexia, we offer a comprehensive individualized instructional program, based on the principles of Orton-Gillingham methodology, with integrated related services. In addition to our focus on academics, we provide a comprehensive Social Skills program, to enhance development of interpersonal skills and application of pragmatic language. Typically we serve students whose academic success has been compromised by one or more learning challenges, including: dyslexia; deficits in reading, decoding, comprehension, attention, visual/spatial processing, fine/gross motor coordination, auditory processing, short/long term memory, and executive functioning skills; Asperger`s syndrome; and moderate cognitive deficits. An intensive academic program provides a small student to teacher ratio, including individualized and small group instruction, remediation and enrichment when appropriate, social skills groups, and integration of practical life skills and community based experiences.
- People that viewed Banyan School also viewed these schools: The Craig School, Academy360 Lower School and Academy360 Upper School, Benway School, Westbridge Academy and Gateway School.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Mountain Lakes Grades: 2-12
10 Tower Hill Rd
Mountain Lakes, NJ 07046
(973) 334-1295 6.3 2-12
- Livingston Grades: PK-12 | 237 students
1 Sunset Ave
Livingston, NJ 07044
(973) 509-3050 5.8 PK-12
- Wayne Grades: 1-12 | 79 students
620 Valley Road
Wayne, NJ 07470
(973) 633-3837 6 1-12
- Bloomfield Grades: K-12 | 90 students
60 West St
Bloomfield, NJ 07003
(973) 429-8110 8.8 K-12
Banyan has a fantastic language program, using Wilson Learning to teach the children reading and language skills. Class sizes are very small (no more than 4 students) with personalized attention and extremely qualified and empathetic staff. They provide a great mixture of academic and social skills to help the students achieve their full potential. They also have a sister high school that goes beyond 12th grade and teaches life skills. Great program.
- Posted by Parent - marks
Our Banyan experience has been wonderful; a structured environment highly focused on academics in a small group setting differentiating for each student. Exactly what our son who learns differently needed to learn to read. The dedicated staff makes learning fun, incorporates the social piece and communicate regularly with parents. We are most grateful for our time at Banyan.
- Posted by Parent - Danielle
My daughter went to Banyan for two years. When she went in she didn't know how to read ,when she left she could. I will forever be in there debt. Banyan gave my daughter confidence and opened up a world to her she never knew existed. I would suggest going there to anyone. Libbe2000
- Posted by Parent - libbe2000
The Banyan School has changed my son's life. They teach in a way he understands and a pace he can keep up with and he is with kids just like him. Before Banyan, he stopped learning, had anxiety everyday before school and no friends. I highly recommend Banyan.
- Posted by Parent - rufan