Our Lady Of The Valley School
5.00 (2 reviews)
Tel: (205) 991-5963
- Our Lady of the Valley Catholic School is a learning community that provides a Christ-centered education which stresses academic excellence and positive moral development.
- We encourage students to reach their full potential in a creative and nurturing environment that promotes Gospel values.
- Our Lady of the Valley Catholic School Community will provide an environment in which God's children become self-directed, life-long learners.
- Students will become contributing members of society empowered by a personal value system based upon the Gospel message of Jesus Christ.
- Our Lady of the Valley Catholic School has had a tradition of providing a curriculum that stresses academic achievement within a Catholic community where children feel loved and respected by peers and by teachers who use teaching methods that build positive self esteem.
- In addition to core academic subjects and religion, the curriculum includes Spanish, computer, counseling, physical education and the arts.
- Advanced math and science and exploratory classes are offered in the middle school.
- The curriculum places an emphasis on learning through problem solving.
- The curriculum is marked by current content and fresh approaches to methodology and fulfills guidelines of the Diocese of Birmingham, State of Alabama Department of Education and Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
- The school’s programs make use of many sources of reading materials, a wide variety of audio-visual and technology tools and a hands-on multi-text approach in content areas.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Awards||Blue Ribbon School - Selected in 2011|
|Total Students||397 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 21%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||32 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||12:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||19 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$5,060|
|Tuition Notes||rates differ depending on parishioner status|
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Football, Soccer, VolleyballBasketball, Football,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||3 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Drama Club, Junior Thespian Troupe, Science Olympiad|
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Birmingham Grades: PK-8 | 137 students
630 1st St S
Birmingham, AL 35205
(205) 251-8395 11 PK-8
- Birmingham Grades: PK-8 | 422 students
1720 Oxmoor Rd
Birmingham, AL 35209
(205) 879-3237 9.1 PK-8
I've had five children matriculate through OLV over 22 years, with this being our last year. It is a terrific academic, faith-based institution, twice winning the national U.S. Blue Ribbon School of excellence award. Their students excel in academics, in the arts, in the sciences, and a wide variety of athletics are offered beginning in 1st grade. I would highly recommend the school to anyone.
- Posted by Parent - dcart
This is a top notch school and students really grow both in their faith and knowledge. More than that though the schools offers a wide array of activities and athletics to allow children to explore their talents at a very early age. Now that our children are in high school, I appreciate OLV even more because they were so well prepared for high school with a great moral, academic, and social foundation. Thank you OLV!
- Posted by Parent - bmmem
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.