Play Mountain Place
- Play Mountain Place was founded in Los Angeles by Phyllis Fleishman in 1949, to further the philosophy of self-motivated learning.
- Our mission is to provide a humanistic educational environment that is developmentally appropriate for each age group.
- Our curriculum is organic, child-initiated, and primarily experiential. A child's inherent desire to learn is acknowledged and facilitated, not forced or squelched.
- Curriculum addresses children's social and emotional development as well as their intellectual growth.
- In addition, we strive to encourage the empowerment of children, and respect for each other, ourselves and the environment.
- Children learn to be part of community, both small and global.
- We enroll the whole family, believing in the important role family dynamics and support play in children's growth and development.
- As a school, we strive to be a microcosm of the larger society, reflecting the diversity in the Los Angeles community.
- In addition to enrolling families of various ethnic, religious, cultural, and sexual orientations, we stress anti-bias and culturally sensitive curriculum in our daily program.
|School Type||Alternative School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Inquire with school|
|Total Students||52 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||21 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||2:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Los Angeles Grades: NS-8 | 266 students
16000 Mulholland Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90049
(310)476-6421 9 NS-8
- Los Angeles Grades: NS-8 | 280 students
755 S Cochran Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90036
(323)938-9976 2.6 NS-8
- Los Angeles Grades: NS-6 | 532 students
563 N Alfred St
Los Angeles, CA 90048
(323)651-0707 3.4 NS-6
- Los Angeles Grades: K-8
16180 Mulholland Dr
Los Angeles, CA 90049
(310)476-2868 9.3 K-8
- Los Angeles Grades: 7-12 | 99 students
11801 Mississippi Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90025
(310)478-5544 4.3 7-12
Most private schools have endowment funds. We explain how these work and why schools are fortunate to have them in tough times.
COVID-19 has turned education at every level upside-down, inside-out. We offer some steps to guide your planning for academic year 2020-21.
Teachers and parents are concerned about the teaching that will take place post-pandemic. I have tried to cover their concerns in the following set of questions and answers.