Play Mountain Place
- Play Mountain Place was founded in Los Angeles by Phyllis Fleishman in 1949, to further the philosophy of self-motivated learning.
- Our mission is to provide a humanistic educational environment that is developmentally appropriate for each age group.
- Our curriculum is organic, child-initiated, and primarily experiential. A child's inherent desire to learn is acknowledged and facilitated, not forced or squelched.
- Curriculum addresses children's social and emotional development as well as their intellectual growth.
- In addition, we strive to encourage the empowerment of children, and respect for each other, ourselves and the environment.
- Children learn to be part of community, both small and global.
- We enroll the whole family, believing in the important role family dynamics and support play in children's growth and development.
- As a school, we strive to be a microcosm of the larger society, reflecting the diversity in the Los Angeles community.
- In addition to enrolling families of various ethnic, religious, cultural, and sexual orientations, we stress anti-bias and culturally sensitive curriculum in our daily program.
|School Type||Alternative School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Inquire with school|
|Total Students||52 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||21 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||2:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Los Angeles Grades: NS-8 | 266 students
16000 Mulholland Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90049
(310)476-6421 9 NS-8
- Los Angeles Grades: NS-8 | 280 students
755 S Cochran Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90036
(323)938-9976 2.6 NS-8
- Los Angeles Grades: NS-6 | 532 students
563 N Alfred St
Los Angeles, CA 90048
(323)651-0707 3.4 NS-6
- Los Angeles Grades: K-8
16180 Mulholland Dr
Los Angeles, CA 90049
(310)476-2868 9.3 K-8
- Los Angeles Grades: 7-12 | 99 students
11801 Mississippi Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90025
(310)478-5544 4.3 7-12
You have just heard about a new private school opening soon in your area. Should you consider sending your child there? A look at the pros and cons of such a decision.
If you know the answers to all these questions, you probably teach or work in a private school. Be that as it may, these questions contain links with the answers.
As you evaluate schools, take time to explore fully what the schools which you are looking at teach.