The Willows Community School
- The Willows Community School, located in Culver City, California, is a Developmental Kindergarten through 8th grade independent school enrolling 470 students annually.
- Nationally recognized as a balanced, progressive educational leader, The Willows` strong academic program incorporates experiential learning and thematic instruction into cutting-edge curriculum and integrates technology, maker, design thinking, and the arts into the classroom.
- At The Willows, we believe each child brings our community an extraordinary gift: a curious mind, ready to explore and eager to learn. Our mission is to grow that gift by challenging our students to uncover meaning and significance in the world around them and to become capable, confident individuals who demonstrate character, engagement, and a joyful passion for creative inquiry across a lifetime. The Willows is strongly committed to financial assistance and seeks a broad-based student body with a diversity of race, ethnicity, economics and learning styles.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||425 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||58 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Willows t-shirt worn Monday thru Thursday)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 20 / Jan. 30|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$35,000|
|Tuition Notes||DK-5 $30,860 6-8 $35,225|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Kim Feldman|
|Total Sports Offered||11 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Dance, Flag Football, Golf, Martial Arts, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Dance, Flag Football,
Golf, Martial Arts,
Tennis, Track and Field,
- The Willows Mission Statement
- At The Willows, we believe each child brings our community an extraordinary gift: a curious mind, ready to explore and eager to learn. Our mission is to grow that gift by challenging our students to uncover meaning and significance in the world around them and to become capable, confident individuals who demonstrate character, engagement, and a joyful passion for creative inquiry across a lifetime.
- Our Philosophy
- The Willows is committed to a balanced yet demanding progressive curriculum rooted in experiential learning and social values. We teach and model a zest for learning and the courage to take risks. We challenge children to challenge themselves and set high standards for academic excellence, which they pursue with energy and joy. We nurture a sense of compassion and community that begins at home, reinforcing what it means to be a respectful, involved citizen-of-the-world. We believe that great minds grow in a near-infinite variety of ways. In the spirit of the willow tree itself, our "great minds" are flexible, resilient, and beautiful at every stage of development.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Culver City Grades: PK-6 | 175 students
3430 McManus Avenue
Culver City, CA 90232
(310)838-2442 0.5 PK-6
- Los Angeles Grades: K-12 | 725 students
12201 Washington Place
Los Angeles, CA 90066
(310)397-3134 3.1 K-12
You have just heard about a new private school opening soon in your area. Should you consider sending your child there? A look at the pros and cons of such a decision.
If you know the answers to all these questions, you probably teach or work in a private school. Be that as it may, these questions contain links with the answers.
As you evaluate schools, take time to explore fully what the schools which you are looking at teach.