New Roads School
- New Roads School in Santa Monica, California, is an independent K-12 educational community which serves 650 boys and girls.
- New Roads School was established in 1995 as a model for education in an ethnically, racially, culturally, and socio-economically diverse community.
- To prepare young people for the challenges and opportunities they face, New Roads aims to promote personal, social, political, and moral understanding, and to instill in students a respect for the humanity and ecology of the world in which they live.
- The demanding college preparatory curriculum not only emphasizes strong reading and writing skills, effective expression, and critical thinking, but seeks to go beyond ordinary "schooling" with a concern for the whole person.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Total Students||650 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 43%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||50 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||13:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 18 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||$37,770 for grades 6-12 $30,540 for grades K-5|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$15,000|
|Admissions Director||Nancy Fasules|
|Admissions Associate||Zahir Robb|
|Total Sports Offered||11 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Flag Football, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Flag Football,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||16 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||3D Design, Chamber Music, Dance, Debate, DJ Club, Drama, Film Production, Girls Who Code, Human Rights Watch Student Task Force, Jazz, Latinos Unidos, Literati Book Club, Photography, Pop Ensemble, Printmaking, Women in Film Club 3D Design, Chamber Music, Dance, Debate, DJ Club, Drama, Girls Who Code, Jazz, Latinos Unidos, Photography, Pop Ensemble, Printmaking, Film Production,|
Human Rights Watch Student Task Force,
Literati Book Club,
Women in Film Club,
- New Roads School in Santa Monica, California, is a K-12 independent educational community which serves 650 boys and girls. New Roads School was established in 1995 as a model for education in an ethnically, racially, culturally, and socio-economically diverse community. To prepare young people for the challenges and opportunities they face, the School aims to promote personal, social, political, and moral understanding, and to instill in students a respect for the humanity and ecology of the world in which they live. The demanding college preparatory curriculum not only emphasizes strong reading and writing skills, effective expression, and critical thinking, but seeks to go beyond ordinary "schooling" with a concern for the whole person.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Santa MonicaGrades: K-12 | 1159 students
1714 21st St
Santa Monica, CA 90404
- Los AngelesGrades: K-12 | 1026 students
100 South Barrington Place
Los Angeles, CA 90049
- Los AngelesGrades: K-12 | 724 students
12201 Washington Place
Los Angeles, CA 90066
- Studio CityGrades: 7-12 | 1593 students
3700 Coldwater Canyon Avenue
Studio City, CA 91604
- Sherman OaksGrades: K-12 | 830 students
3900 Stansbury Avenue
Sherman Oaks, CA 91423
New Roads has been a great school for the academic and social development of my child. Having my child in an environment where they can truly thrive, yet not feel that they are caught up in a meaningless education solely based on test scores and the ability to regurgitate has been refreshing. New Roads School is truly a unique place with high quality teachers and a caring community of students. The opportunity for my son to intersect with a diverse group of students is what brought me here, but I have continued because of how well my son is doing academically, which is evidenced in his increased curiosity and ability to discuss a wide variety of topics at a level that is well beyond his years. I couldn't be happier with my experience.
- Posted by Parent - D. from LA
My child has been at New Roads school since 3rd grade and is now entering 10th grade there. We've always been happy with the teachers, the social environment, the academics, and the arts offerings. The students in some programs, including debate, theater, and robotics, have received awards and done well in national competitions. New Roads seniors are accepted by the same high-ranking colleges as much older private schools in the area. The diversity is REAL at New Roads, partly because nearly 50% of NR students receive financial aid! If you look at the demographics of the school, you will see that it's not a nearly-all-white student body with a "multicultural" program, as is the case with so many other private schools. New Roads was originally founded as a middle school for children who could not afford private school, and making top-quality education available to people of all socioeconomic backgrounds continues to be a high priority for our school. Which is one reason why we don't yet have the fancy facilities that many other private schools do. My child does not feel that any facilities are lacking; but then again, we didn't send her to private school to spoil her. We agree with the New Roads philosophy and really feel that she is getting an amazing education!
- Posted by Parent - HappyNewRoadsMom