New Roads School
- New Roads School in Santa Monica, California, is an independent K-12 educational community which serves approximately 500 students.
- New Roads School was established in 1995 as a model for education in an ethnically, racially, culturally, and socio-economically diverse community.
- To prepare young people for the challenges and opportunities they face, New Roads aims to promote personal, social, political, and moral understanding, and to instill in students a respect for the humanity and ecology of the world in which they live.
- The demanding college preparatory curriculum not only emphasizes strong reading and writing skills, effective expression, and critical thinking, but seeks to go beyond ordinary "schooling" with a concern for the whole person.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||568 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||50 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||11:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 19 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||$39,186 for grades 6-12 $31,685 for grades K-5|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$15,000|
|Admissions Director||Zahir Robb|
|Total Sports Offered||11 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Flag Football, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Flag Football,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||16 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Debate, Girls Who Code, Human Rights Watch Student Task Force, Latinos Unidos, Literati Book Club
Arts and Music Programs:
3D Design, Chamber Music, Dance, DJ Club, Drama, Film Production, Jazz, Photography, Pop Ensemble, Printmaking, Women in Film Clu
- New Roads School in Santa Monica, California, is a K-12 independent educational community which serves approximately 500 students. New Roads School was established in 1995 as a model for education in an ethnically, racially, culturally, and socio-economically diverse community. To prepare young people for the challenges and opportunities they face, the School aims to promote personal, social, political, and moral understanding, and to instill in students a respect for the humanity and ecology of the world in which they live. The demanding college preparatory curriculum not only emphasizes strong reading and writing skills, effective expression, and critical thinking, but seeks to go beyond ordinary "schooling" with a concern for the whole person.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Santa Monica Grades: K-12 | 1185 students
1714 21st St
Santa Monica, CA 90404
(310)829-7391 0.8 K-12
- Los Angeles Grades: K-12 | 1043 students
100 South Barrington Place
Los Angeles, CA 90049
(310)889-2657 2.5 K-12
- Los Angeles Grades: K-12 | 725 students
12201 Washington Place
Los Angeles, CA 90066
(310)397-3134 2.8 K-12
- Studio City Grades: 7-12 | 1593 students
3700 Coldwater Canyon Avenue
Studio City, CA 91604
(818)980-6692 8.6 7-12
- Sherman Oaks Grades: K-12 | 830 students
3900 Stansbury Avenue
Sherman Oaks, CA 91423
(818)783-1610 7.6 K-12
I have been a long time admirer of New Roads School both as a teacher and a parent. What I am most impressed by is high-quality of teaching, how the students are encouraged to find their own passions and the greatness of leadership under Luthern. New Roads is the school that is thinking of the future, preparing kids for endless possibilities. I wish this school was around when I was growing up.
- Posted by Parent - Lisaatpali@aol.com
Our kids have been at New Roads for 4 years. They are elementary age. We love the school. The teachers have been excellent. For us, diversity is key, but beyond that- inclusivity. Not only is the student body diverse, the faculty and leadership is. I want my kids learning to respect people of all races, genders, abilities, etc. So it's important to have different kids of people in leadership positions, and New Roads has this. The philosophy around inclusivity and critical thinking is vital these days.
- Posted by Parent - NR parent
New Roads is a school where all types of children are embraced for who they are. We have experienced the faculty and administration to be open to working with our whole family to see that our daughters needs are being fulfilled . She has been academically challenged as well as exposed to an extensive variety of electives. This has presented a gateway to boundless possibilities. Through inspiring, passionate teachers we are watching our daughter find her voice.
- Posted by Parent - Happy Family
We love New Roads school - it's strengths include the diverse student body, passionate teachers, philosophy to meet the child at his/her level, small class size, and it's inspired mission.
- Posted by Parent - Snoopy
New Roads has been a great school for the academic and social development of my child. Having my child in an environment where they can truly thrive, yet not feel that they are caught up in a meaningless education solely based on test scores and the ability to regurgitate has been refreshing. New Roads School is truly a unique place with high quality teachers and a caring community of students. The opportunity for my son to intersect with a diverse group of students is what brought me here, but I have continued because of how well my son is doing academically, which is evidenced in his increased curiosity and ability to discuss a wide variety of topics at a level that is well beyond his years. I couldn't be happier with my experience.
- Posted by Parent - D. from LA
My child has been at New Roads school since 3rd grade and is now entering 10th grade there. We've always been happy with the teachers, the social environment, the academics, and the arts offerings. The students in some programs, including debate, theater, and robotics, have received awards and done well in national competitions. New Roads seniors are accepted by the same high-ranking colleges as much older private schools in the area. The diversity is REAL at New Roads, partly because nearly 50% of NR students receive financial aid! If you look at the demographics of the school, you will see that it's not a nearly-all-white student body with a "multicultural" program, as is the case with so many other private schools. New Roads was originally founded as a middle school for children who could not afford private school, and making top-quality education available to people of all socioeconomic backgrounds continues to be a high priority for our school. Which is one reason why we don't yet have the fancy facilities that many other private schools do. My child does not feel that any facilities are lacking; but then again, we didn't send her to private school to spoil her. We agree with the New Roads philosophy and really feel that she is getting an amazing education!
- Posted by Parent - HappyNewRoadsMom