Westside Neighborhood School
WNS embodies a positive, child-centered approach to education. Our challenging curriculum and programs are designed to encourage each individual student to fully develop his or her potential - intellectually, socially, emotionally, and physically.
- Top Ranked CA School
- Grades: Nursery/Preschool-8
- Students: 520 students
- Yearly Tuition: $31,000
- Average class size: 24 students
- Application Deadline: Dec. 10 / Jan. 14
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Summer School Offered
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 48%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
Classroom Dress Code
Finances and Admission
Dec. 10 / Jan. 14
Yearly Tuition Cost
One-time new family fee: $2,500 Facilities and Security fee: $1,250
% on Financial Aid
Total Sports Offered
Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.
Ceramics, Cooking, Dance, Drama, Mandarin, many more, Orchestra & Ensemble, Outdoor Adventures, Student Council, Tae Kwan Do, Web Page & Video Game Design, Yearbook
- Our philosophy is to provide innovative ways to encourage children to take responsibility for their own learning.The school`s program is built on four pillars: `Academic Excellence`, `Character`, `Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion`, and `Community`. Faculty members model what they teach: respect and responsibility, love of teaching and joy of learning, sense of humor, open communication, and teamwork. Students are encouraged to be creative, independent, and self-disciplined. We believe in the importance of fostering resilience in our students and value perseverance, effort, and learning from our mistakes. WNS students understand the importance of community while respecting individual differences. Our goal is to instill in our students a love of learning, cultural sensitivity, and a deep understanding of our world both in and outside the classroom.
- WNS embraces a positive, child-centered approach to education that strives to fully develop the potential of each student intellectually, socially, emotionally, and physically. Our high academic and ethical standards encourage students to take responsibility for their learning and their behavior. Propelled by curiosity, WNS students are learners, doers, and makers. We provide students with a platform to become entrepreneurs by nurturing their intrinsic ability to innovate. Our program is designed to engage students in a project-based, active-learning curriculum that challenges all students to grow. We provide an environment steeped in a growth mindset where each child is able to experience success, embrace mistakes as a part of the journey, is confident in taking intellectual risks, and where individuals feel valued in their differences and value the differences in others. Our goal is to instill in our students a love of learning, an understanding of our world, and to provide an environment of collegiality and professional growth for our teachers and staff. WNS recognizes that children have different learning styles and learn best at different rates. Our program is built from the best practices derived from the progressive, developmental, and traditional educational philosophies, and employs a variety of experiential age-appropriate activities designed to accommodate students' needs, invite their creativity, and challenge their growth.
Endorse Westside Neighborhood School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
What A Teacher Does
A teacher wears many hats. Here's a look at her duties and responsibilities.
How Diverse Are Private Schools?
Decades ago private schools could have been accused of being elitist. You had to have money to attend. The student populations were fairly homogeneous. Fortunately that has changed.
Private School Job Searching 101
Here is a guide for teachers and administrators seeking employment in private schools. Think of it as a roadmap for the job search process.