Preston High School
- Preston High School is a private college-preparatory school for young women, established in 1947 by the Sisters of the Divine Compassion.
- Located in the Throgs Neck section of the Bronx, and situated on the banks of the East River, the natural environment provides a unique setting for study and recreation.
- Preston seeks to promote the integration of formal learning, real world experience, and social responsibility with Christian faith and practice.
- School-wide goals are aimed at fostering the intellectual life, cultivating a confident posture in personal and interactive pursuits, and facilitating the maturation of distinct gifts and talents.
- As these are addressed within a strong community context, they simultaneously foster a social consciousness and responsibility, and a positive interpersonal dynamic.
- Holistic development which addresses the intellectual, spiritual, emotional and physical dimensions of life is the theme that integrates academic and co-curricular programs and encourages a liberation of mind and spirit that enables lifelong learning.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools|
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||482 students|
|Student Body Type||All-girls|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||36 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||13:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||23 students|
|Number of AP Courses||9 courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus, AP English Literature and Composition, AP European History, AP Language Composition, AP Spanish Language, AP Spanish Literature, AP Studio Art, AP U.S. History|
|Average SAT score||1105|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$10,900|
|Tuition Notes||General fee $970|
|Admissions Director||Cristina Fragale|
|Admissions Associate||Karen Wszolek|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cheering, Soccer, Softball, VolleyballBasketball, Cheering,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||14 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Compassion Connection, Cooking Club, Cultural Clubs, Gardening Club, Honors Society, Interest Clubs, Service Clubs, Student Council, Yearbook Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Club, Choir, Dance Team, STEP team, Theater Production
- Preston requires that all students submit an application with essay in addition to the TACHS exam.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Bronx Grades: 9-12 | 469 students
2250 Williamsbridge Rd
Bronx, NY 10469
(718) 882-2882 3.7 9-12
- Bronx Grades: 9-12 | 285 students
685 E 182nd St
Bronx, NY 10457
(718) 367-2113 4.4 9-12
- Bronx Grades: 9-12 | 325 students
330 Bedford Park Blvd
Bronx, NY 10458
(718) 364-5353 5.2 9-12
Whether you are just beginning the process of choosing a private school or several months into it, make sure that you keep these five 'must haves' front and center in your thinking.
Are charter schools private schools? What do vouchers have to do with private schools? Some answers here.
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.