Raleigh Day School aspires to become Wake County`s first fully recognized Waldorf school and is actively pursuing membership in the Association of Waldorf Schools of North America. We had earned Associate status with the Waldorf Early Childhood Association of North America, a first step in the process of becoming a certified Waldorf School.
We offer Spanish, handwork (knitting, crochet, needlepoint, woodworking), and music (pentatonic and diatonic flute, singing, folk dancing, ukulele) as a part of our regular curriculum. Watercolor painting, beeswax modeling, and movement are incorporated into the daily and weekly curriculum.
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 23%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
Classroom Dress Code
We do not accept media characters/graphics
We do not accept media characters/graphics
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
mixed age kindergarten program is $8900
% on Financial Aid
National avg.: 85%
Dr. Lucy Chartier
- We are currently a mixed age Kindergarten - Fourth Grade. We will be adding a new grade each year.
- Our mission is to educate the child in mind, body and spirit so that they may contribute their unique gifts to humanity with conviction and clarity of their life`s purpose, and to create a supportive and nourishing learning community that cherishes each individual.Each year the school will seek to employ teachers with Waldorf teacher training certificates or those who are engaged in Waldorf teacher training and are being mentored/supervised in the Waldorf pedagogy. We will add one grade each year until we reach 8th grade, and continue to expand our Early Childhood program.
- The vision of a Waldorf school in the capital city of North Carolina has been held for many years. At last, in the fall of 2020, through the pioneering spirits of a mother-daughter team and three Waldorf teachers, The Unity School (now Raleigh Day School) was born. The timing to start a school was unlikely as we were in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. But the circumstances afforded us the opportunity to create an educational experience outdoors so that children could benefit from face-to-face social interactions while having their first school encounter. Outdoor structures were built in a beautiful natural setting in the woods by a creek.The traditional Waldorf curriculum was implemented by certified and experienced Waldorf teachers both in the early childhood program and in the first grade. The outdoor setting proved to be a healthy environment: we had no cases of Covid illness during that first year and only had a handful of virtual days necesitated by extreme inclement weather. We began our journey that year with 18 students, and in our second year when we moved indoors, we nearly doubled in size. We are now entering our fourth year with grades one through four and a stable early childhood program. We are located in the center of Raleigh on the beautiful grounds of the former St. Mark's Episcopal Church. In 2022 The Unity School (now Raleigh Day School) was recognized as an Associate Member of WECAN.This is the first step toward our goal of becoming an accredited Waldorf school and full member of AWSNA. Our faculty and administrative leaders are committed to this process which includes self-study, peer review, observation, interviews and reports.
Source: Verified school update
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Raleigh Day School cost?
Raleigh Day School's tuition is approximately $10,200 for private students.
What is the acceptance rate of Raleigh Day School?
The acceptance rate of Raleigh Day School is 75%, which is lower than the national average of 87%. Raleigh Day School's acceptance rate is ranked among the top private schools in North Carolina with low acceptance rates.
What is Raleigh Day School's ranking?
Raleigh Day School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in North Carolina for: Lowest average acceptance rates.
When is the application deadline for Raleigh Day School?
The application deadline for Raleigh Day School is rolling (applications are reviewed as they are received year-round).
This is our first year at the Raleigh Day School, and I cannot say enough wonderful things about this program. My daughter is in the Early Childhood (mixed age kindergarten) class, and as a child of the pandemic I was worried that she would have a hard time integrating into school as she has only stayed with family until this point. My worries were unfounded. In just seven weeks, I have seen her form secure attachments to both her teacher and the assistant teacher. They meet challenges with connection, and are absolutely committed to a holistic education and fostering a respectful and peaceful environment. She wakes up excited to go to school each day and see her friends, and shares many details of all the wonderful things she is learning. Please do not be deterred by the location. The space is wonderful and safe, the student-to-teacher ratio is low, and everything is set up in a way that is intentional and incredibly welcoming.
We feel so thankful to have found The Unity School. It truly is a little haven of caring and safety for our daughter, who had previously struggled in a school setting. We love how the teachers tie their passion for education together with their knowledge of child development, to ensure each child is given what he/she needs in each moment. We could not ask for a more loving or dedicated group of teachers!
I am proud and honored to work with like-minded professionals, who value developmentally appropriate education and the intention of the practice. Upon making all decisions, we aim to thoroughly discuss, digest, and decide to leave no stone unturned. It is a pleasure to work among all of these individuals who pour their hearts into this school and pedagogy. From admin, board, college of teachers, and staff, we all work hard for transparency and clear communication through an abundance of love and respect. with gratitude, Jamie Pike Kelly.
Our experience at The Unity School has been incredible. We have 2 kids, kindergarten and 3rd grade, have been there for 3 years, and are very happy with the quality of Waldorf education the school provides. My kids wake up every day excited to go to school, and come home happy, exhausted, singing, and eager to share the experiences of the day. The teachers are amazing, supportive, and communicative with parents. The way the teachers hold and guide the kids through play and learning is I think what helps create this really grounded confidence I see in them - something invaluable for their academic future. The other wonderful aspect of TUS is the parent community as a whole - everyone is connected and involved, it's really just been a great experience all around. We could not be happier than we are with The Unity School, and very highly recommend it!
We were looking for a Waldorf school for our children and are so thankful we found The Unity School. TUS has a beautiful mission; wonderful faculty, staff, students, and families; and are a special community!
Our family is in our second year with two children at The Unity School and we are very pleased with our choice. The teachers are passionate, available, caring, and wise. The school encourages students to explore the natural rhythms of childhood, to value patience and pause, and to develop personal growth. The small class sizes and the supportive community offer a welcoming warmth each day. Learning in a tech-free environment that rejects the modern-day distractions of a hurried, digital pace is such a gift in this time we live in. All of these factors allow our children to be focused, happy, and eager to learn and actively play. The Unity School has fit our needs.
I have never worked with a community of parents and teachers who are so committed to the loving care and development of every child. This school is a joy to work in and a gift to the community. I am honored to be a part of it.
It is a joy to work with faculty and staff who are fully committed to Waldorf education! Our teachers have invested in Waldorf teacher training and embody the principles of the pedagogy in their ways of being with our students and colleagues. I am privileged to work in such a professional environment imbued with compassion.
TUS provides a warm environment for children to fall in love with learning and discover who they are. TUS manifests the quote: "Receive the children in reverence, educate them in love, and send them forth in freedom."An authentic, inclusive, community-driven Waldorf community in the Raleigh/Chapel Hill/Durham area.
We have just begun our second year at The Unity School. Our family could not be happier with the instruction our child is receiving. What I witness everyday, is our teachers being fully present with the children while presenting an incredibly well thought-out and beautiful educational experience. The sense of community and caring is truly special.
Endorse Raleigh Day School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
An introduction to using Facebook, YouTube and Pinterest to promote your school.