Tel: (860) 928-1328
Rectory School Photo #2 - Express yourself in the Arts at Rectory from the Collins Art Barn to the P.Y. & Kinmay Tang Performing Arts Center. Explore printmaking, pottery, photography in the darkroom, or put on a show in the Spring Musical, Jazz Band or RECappella.
Rectory School Photo #3 - Rectory has 11 dormitories with 150 beds on campus across 138 acres of bucolic landscape in the Quiet Corner of Connecticut. Try Karaoke, movie, and mall trips or dorm activities with your roommates and dorm parents. You will build relationships that last a lifetime.
Rectory School Photo #4 - Rectory's 138-acre campus, located in beautiful Pomfret, CT is located within 45-minutes of three major cities (Hartford, CT, Worcester, MA, Providence, RI), 1 1/2 hours from Boston, and 3 hours from New York City. Our campus has 25 buildings, including 11 dormitories, the Bigelow Academic Center and the Hale elementary space and Smith Learning Center, opening in 2017.
Rectory School Photo #5 - Rectory's Middle School electives meet twice weekly, on Tuesdays and Thursdays, for an hour. Electives have an academic component and are in an area where the teacher(s) have some knowledge and interest. The goal of the Elective program is to provide opportunities for students to further develop their interests outside of the traditional classroom.
Rectory School Photo #6 - Individualized attention to a young person`s academic, physical, social, and moral development has been a keystone of Rectory School since its founding 100 years ago. In our Learning Services program, students work 1 on 1 with our Learning Specialists to help them with his/her individual needs.
Rectory School Photo #7 - Choose from a range of diverse electives from mountain biking, newspaper, community service, and yoga!
Rectory School Photo #8 - Head of School, Fred Williams, has been at Rectory since 2009. He created the Martin Luther King Jr. day of service tradition, and is always the one to beat in the annual regatta across the Rectory Pond. His open door policy and love for working the middle school age group enable students to get the most out of their experience here at Rectory, often with the helping hand of Mr. Williams himself.
- Rectory School's mission is to provide students, both early childhood and middle school adolescents, with an enriched and supportive academic, social and ethical community that addresses individual learning styles, aptitudes and needs, while promoting personal self-worth and accountability.
- The school community lives the Rectory School Creed: responsibility, respect, honesty, and compassion.
- Recognizing how impressionable the middle school years are in a child's life, teachers, coaches, and dorm parents try to model the Rectory School Creed every day for the students through consistent and morally responsible behavior.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
State or regional independent school association
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-9|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia/Language-based/Mild Learning Differences|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Awards||Blue Ribbon School - Selected in 1995|
|Total Students||256 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 25%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||65 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$66,200|
|Tuition Notes||Rectory has a Comprehensive Tuition Plan that ensures transparency regarding annual expenses for your child to attend Rectory School.Elementary School Tuition: $17,900 Middle School Day Tuition (5-6): $29,500 Middle School Day Tuition (7-9): $32,400 Middle School 5-Day Boarding Tuition (5-6): $57,500 Middle School 5-Day Boarding Tuition (7-9): $58,400 Middle School 7-Day Boarding Tuition (5-6): $65,400 Middle School 7-Day Boarding Tuition (7-9): $66,200 International Boarding Tuition (5-6): $71,200 International Boarding Tuition (7-9): $72,000|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Lesley Gibbs|
|Admissions Associate||Jacob Guertin|
|Endowment Size||$14.2 million|
|Total Sports Offered||21 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Fit, Dance, Equestrian, Fencing, Flag Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Cross Fit,
Fencing, Flag Football,
Golf, Ice Hockey,
Lacrosse, Mountain Biking,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||24 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Bookworms, Chess, Debate, Jewelry Making, Newspaper, REC Story (Poems, Short Stories, Art Work, etc.), Robotics, Student Ambassadors, Student Council, Young Investors Club
Arts and Music Programs:
9th Grade Ensemble, A Cappella, Chorus, Development of Instrumental Music Techniques, Fine Arts, General Music: A History of Jazz Music in America, General Music: A History of Rock Music in America, Guitar, Introduction to Art, Introduction to Instrumental Music, Jazz Band, Orchestra, Photography, Spring Musical
- Students enjoy increasing their skills and revealing new talents in state-of-the-art facilities. The Tang Center for Performing Arts is an exceptional venue for concerts, assemblies, lessons, and special programs. The Collins Art Barn allows students to create in bright studios and develop photography in the darkroom.
- Every Rectory student is involved in sports and participates on a team. The program emphasizes healthy competition on levels that provide a challenge for the skilled athlete and encouragement for the beginner.
- The Rectory School community lives its creed: Honesty, Respect, Responsibility, and Compassion.
- The Rectory School`s four-week summer session, Summer@Rectory, is an innovative, individually designed program that balances academics, sports, art, music, drama, and recreation. Offering a variety of options for enrichment or remediation, Summer@Rectory has enrollment for coeducational day and boarding students who are entering grades five through nine.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Are charter schools private schools? What do vouchers have to do with private schools? Some answers here.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?