Riverside Church Week Day School
- The Riverside Church Weekday School is a progressive, play-based, independent early childhood school serving families with children ages two through five.
- Ours is a diverse community that fosters sharing, understanding, and respect while focusing on the social, emotional and physical development of each child and where each child's unique gifts are celebrated.
- We are dedicated to teaching children to become confident learners, passionate explorers, and discerning risk-takers.
|School Type||Early Childhood / Day Care|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other school association(s)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-Kindergarten|
|Total Students||115 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 30%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||25 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 1 / Feb. 28 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$17,800|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$5,000|
|Admissions Director||Carla Buranelli-Secor|
- In our efforts to meet our educational and community goals, The Weekday School curriculum draws upon a blend of progressive and traditional approaches to encourage children to use all their senses and skills to develop socially and emotionally. Our teachers offer compelling learning opportunities and work collaboratively to create a loving community of learners.Additionally, The Weekday School is committed to the physical development of our children and their exploration of imagination and mastery through physical well-being. To fulfill this ambition, the Weekday School employs three expansive outdoor and three spacious indoor play areas;the rooftop playground is equipped with bicycles and tricycles for riding, a large dome climber and hollow blocks for buildinga first floor playground features a large play structure and giant cubesa garden courtyard includes a large play structure and planters where each class tends a gardenThe rainy-day room on the 6th floor is equipped with a large play structure and has scooters and carts for ridingThe Gymnasium located on the A level below the church is a full-size gym where equipped with mats for tumbling, jump ropes, balls and a running trackThe Solarium on the 8th floor is used for building tunnels and building with blocksOur commitment to diversity extends across faiths and traditions. We provide our children a culturally rich experience as they learn about both religious and secular holidays and traditions through songs and story-telling. These are part of the daily class activities and are also shared at communal gatherings we call Weekday Sings throughout the year and at our winter and end of year celebrations. Parents and family members are invited to join at these communal events.Our children are taught by a talented and dedicated staff of childhood education specialists whose work is supported and furthered by an active Parent's Association. All of our Lead teachers hold Masters Degrees in Early Childhood Education. All of our Assistant teachers hold Bachelors Degrees in education. Our teaching teams consist of either two Co-Lead teachers or a Lead and Assistant teacher. Families and friends are welcomed into the classrooms to share traditions, experiences, and talents. Through participation in the Parents' Association, families provide leadership and assistance with school social and fundraising events.The school resides on sixth and seventh floors of the MLK Wing of the Riverside Church. These floors were specifically designed as early childhood learning environments and feature bright, spacious classrooms with large, arching windows overlooking the Hudson River and the upper West Side. The sun-filled art studio looks out onto the river and inspires the beautiful expression of our young artists.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
New YorkGrades: PK-12 | 684 students
1 E 91st St
New York, NY 10128
New YorkGrades: PK-9 | 203 students
535 W 121st St
New York, NY 10027
New YorkGrades: PK-8 | 336 students
202 W 97th St
New York, NY 10025
New YorkGrades: PK-8 | 530 students
570 W 175th Street
New York, NY 10033
July 20, 2017
July 12, 2017
Here are five facts about Montessori schools to bear in mind when exploring preschools and primary schools for your child.
July 12, 2017
What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of a for profit versus a not for profit school? Is one kind of school better than the other?