- Our mission at Sappo School is to strategically create an atmosphere that promotes academic excellence through an individualized approach to learning.
- Full potential is realized by identifying and developing the social, emotional and academic systems of each individual.
- Sappo School provides the students an academically invigorating environment which allows them to explore learning and embrace challenges with confidence.
- We believe in shaping the members of our global society into citizens of the world who are able to face the future with strength of character and human purpose. SHAPE Strategies support the Educative Holism philosophy that is based on our Brain Work Program.
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Learning Styles differentiation, Giftedness, Anxiety, Dyslexia or Mild Disabilities|
|Total Students||82 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 30%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||16 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(Uniform Requires: Khaki pants and Polo Shirt with Sappo Logo)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$15,000|
|Tuition Notes||*Tuition varies according to grade and program*|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$3,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Michael Sauer, Director|
|Admissions Associate||Rebecca Gehrkin|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||9 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Art Club, Basketball Intramural, Instrument Lessons, Peer Tutoring and Mentorship Committee, Photography Club, SAT Prep: Math & English, Student Government, Vocal Lessons, Yearbook Committee Art Club, Vocal Lessons, Basketball Intramural,
Peer Tutoring and Mentorship Committee,
SAT Prep: Math & English,
- Sappo School receives public accolades for the ability to raise the level of learning for all students as an innovative Regents school. The faculty is trained through an active research department to address individuality discovered through Learning Style and Personality Type Assessments. Parents form an organization that works closely with the faculty. Our Metholdology includes
- Academic rigor with individual supports
- 10/5 Program for Attention Span Improvement
- 4:1 Commendation-Criticism Ratio for Positive Regard
- Brain Work research and application
- Career Assessments
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Saint JamesGrades: 6-12 | 126 students
541 Long Beach Road
Saint James, NY 11780
Stony BrookGrades: 7-12 | 370 students
1 Chapman Parkway
Stony Brook, NY 11790
HicksvilleGrades: 9-12 | 950 students
98 Cherry Ln
Hicksville, NY 11801
West IslipGrades: 9-12 | 1706 students
1170 Montauk Highway
West Islip, NY 11795
SmithtownGrades: PK-6 | 358 students
211 Brooksite Drive
Smithtown, NY 11787
My son started this school in 9th grade. He was failing academically in public school, resisted to going to school, and often had somatic complaints to get out of school. We transferred him to Sappo, and his whole persona changed. He thrived at school, was excited to go, became a mentor for other students, and realized he could succeed. It was the best decision we made to move him.
- Posted by Parent - JH
I have the pleasure of writing this review as a member of the faculty at Sappo School. Everyone has a deep understanding of the needs of the students, and the size of the student body affords the teachers the luxury of getting to know just about every child who attends. The director, Mr. Sauer, has never lost sight of the fact that he was once a classroom teacher, which is very important if a school is to run smoothly. I recommend that anyone who thinks he or she has a child who may benefit from this school, come on down! Carole Wilk
- Posted by Teacher - Carole Wilk
I Instruct the Computer Science STEM program at Sappo School. STEM provides students with the ability to explore science, technology, engineering and math by solving real-world problems.It is project-based learning approach designed to engage students in an investigative journey through authentic problems. Sappo School provides both a safe and motivational learning environment that I am proud to be a part of.
- Posted by Teacher - Mrs. I
The Sappo School has been a safe haven for my son that has anxiety and ADD. The teachers and all faculty are patient, understanding, and truly wonderful. This school has changed my son's outlook on education and school in general. Sappo School has changed our lives as a family 100 fold. The daily stress of just getting to school is gone and our days are peaceful as a result.
- Posted by Parent - starl
My granddaughter attended Sappo School an graduated from there. Being free from all negative distractions, her grades went right back to where they once were-all A's. She left knowing who she was and how her own learning style could benefit her through Sappo's Brain Work program. I represent my entire family when I say that this advanced school program should set the pattern for other schools to follow. Thank you, Sappo!
- Posted by Parent - Rosec
April 21, 2017
Making your job application easy to read will help your application make the first cut.
April 20, 2017
Private high schools offer strong college counseling programs which are ongoing and fully integrated into the daily activities.
April 19, 2017
As you narrow the field in your private school search process, you will develop a short list of three to five schools which you will evaluate in detail. Visiting each school is an essential part of your due diligence.