School For Independent Learners
- At School For Independent Learners, courses are taught in the ultimate student centered format one teacher, one student.
- Our one-to-one setting provides a tremendous opportunity for accelerated progress and self-directed learning.
- Teachers tailor course content with respect to each student's interests, goals, and abilities.
- We employ a philosophy of mastery learning to ensure that students master course material, at their own pace.
|School Type||Alternative School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)|
|Grades Offered||Grades 8-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild Learning Differences|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||27 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||16 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||2:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||1 students|
|Number of AP Courses||27 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Art History, AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP English Language & Composition, AP English Literature & Composition, AP Environmental Science, AP European History, AP French Language, AP German Language, AP Government & Politics: Comparative, AP Government & Politics: US, AP Latin: Virgil, AP Macroeconomics, AP Microeconomics, AP Music Theory, AP Physics 1, AP Physics 2, AP Physics C: Electricity & Magnetism, AP Physics C: Mechanics, AP Spanish Language, AP Statistics, AP US History, AP World History|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition is by each hour of in class instruction.|
- At School For Independent Learners, courses are taught in the ultimate student centered format one teacher, one student. Our one-to-one setting provides a tremendous opportunity for accelerated progress and self-directed learning. Teachers tailor course content with respect to each student's interests, goals, and abilities. We employ a philosophy of mastery learning to ensure that students master course material, at their own pace.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Los Altos Grades: K-12 | 595 students
327 Fremont Ave
Los Altos, CA 94024
(650)209-3050 2.4 K-12
- Los Altos Grades: NS-12 | 322 students
11311 Mora Dr
Los Altos, CA 94024
(650)209-9400 4 NS-12
- Campbell Grades: PK-12 | 28 students
1 W Campbell Ave (J70)
Campbell, CA 95008
(408)898-8627 11.7 PK-12
- Los Gatos Grades: 6-12
50 University Ave., Suite A300
Los Gatos, CA 95030
(408)354-0743 14.1 6-12
- Morgan Hill Grades: NS-12 | 517 students
105 John Wilson Way
Morgan Hill, CA 95037
(408)782-7177 33.4 NS-12
Most private schools have endowment funds. We explain how these work and why schools are fortunate to have them in tough times.
COVID-19 has turned education at every level upside-down, inside-out. We offer some steps to guide your planning for academic year 2020-21.
Teachers and parents are concerned about the teaching that will take place post-pandemic. I have tried to cover their concerns in the following set of questions and answers.