- The School and Faculty Pinewood School, founded in 1959, is an independent, co-educational, nondenominational college preparatory day school serving grades K–12.
- Upper Campus enrollment in Los Altos Hills (grades 7–12) is approximately 300 students; K–6 enrollment, at two separate campuses in Los Altos, is 325 students.
- The student teacher ratio is approximately 7 to 1 and the maximum class size is eighteen students.
- Upper Campus faculty includes forty-two full-time and five part-time teach-ers, twenty-five of whom hold advanced degrees.
- Pinewood is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and College and is a member of NAIS. Los Altos Hills and Los Altos are located in the heart of Sili-con Valley.
- Drawing from communities throughout the San Francisco Peninsula and greater San Jose, our student body is comprised of students from diverse cultural, religious, socioeconomic and ethnic backgrounds who seek rigorous academics and support a high standard of behavior.
- Pinewood provides a nurturing environment where every student is en-couraged to become a well-rounded individual, an insightful learner and critical thinker, a self-motivated student, a clear communicator and a respectful member of any community. 100% of Pinewood graduates attend college.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||595 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||84 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Number of AP Courses||16 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Average SAT score||1380|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Uniform required grades K-6, dress code grades 7-12)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / May. 1 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$28,160|
|Admissions Director||Lisa Longbottom|
|Total Sports Offered||12 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Flag Football, Football, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Flag Football,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
- Pinewood’s curriculum is college preparatory; six academic courses per semester are required of most students. For those students enrolled in three or more AP classes, the minimum requirement is five academic classes per semester. Pinewood students are encouraged to pursue individual talents and interests through extracurricular activities and athletic participation. The high school athletic program includes girls’ and boys’ basketball, soccer, tennis, cross-country, swimming, and golf, boys’ baseball, and girls’ softball and volleyball. School-sponsored activities include Interact, yearbook, journalism, drama, debate, speech, choir, robotics, rock and roll, service clubs and honor societies.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Los Altos Grades: K-12 | 577 students
26800 Fremont Rd
Los Altos, CA 94022
(650)209-3010 2.7 K-12
- Los Altos Grades: NS-12 | 322 students
11311 Mora Dr
Los Altos, CA 94024
(650)209-9400 1.5 NS-12
- Mountain View Grades: 8-12 | 70 students
2462 Wyandotte Street
Mountain View, CA 94043
(650)493-7071 3.7 8-12
- Mountain View Grades: 9-12 | 1755 students
1885 Miramonte Ave
Mountain View, CA 94040
(650)968-1213 0.9 9-12
- San Jose Grades: 9-12 | 1651 students
960 W Hedding St
San Jose, CA 95126
(408)294-9224 10.1 9-12
We take a detailed look at the three popular early childhood methods to help you determine which one best suits your needs and requirements.
This article aggregates all the articles I have written about running a small private school. Use it as a handbook and a reminder of things you should look at from time to time.
Ever wish you could pick the brain of A+ students? Well, we did it for you — we spoke with dozens of students and educators to find out their secrets for success.