German International School Of Silicon Valley
5.00 (1 review)
Tel: (650) 254-0748
GISSV is a private school offering a bilingual German-English educational program with classes from Preschool through 12th Grade. GISSV serves children of all nationalities and is accredited by the German government and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
GISSV has two campuses: the main campus in Mountain View offering Preschool to Grade 12 and the San Francisco campus also a K-8.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)|
California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||545 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 45%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||50 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||11:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Number of AP Courses||9 courses|
|Advanced Courses||Economics, English Language and Composition, English Literature and Composition, French, German|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Admissions Director||Michelle Bonau|
|Total Sports Offered||6 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Flag Football, Soccer, Swimming, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,|
Flag Football, Soccer,
- Our dual-language program is interdisciplinary and provides rich project-based and differentiated learning experiences, nurturing holistic and individual development. We provide small class sizes, an excellent student-to-teacher ratio and safe, stimulating learning environments. We also move and think beyond the classroom by exploring all the cultural, natural, academic and entrepreneurial destinations the Bay Area has to offer. All GISSV programs are bilingual German/English and based on the German curriculum of the state of Thuringia, which is known and respected for its well-rounded educational approach, fostering interests across all academic disciplines as well as social-emotional competency, critical thinking, artistic expression and physical motor skills. Our curricula for English, American History and Economics are based on the Common Core Standards. We feature a strong science program and are a recognized MINT (the German equivalent to STEM) school. Specialty classes such as sports, music, the arts, as well as third and fourth languages, all taught by professionally trained specialists, are an integral part of the day at GISSV. Our curriculum is supported and enhanced by comprehensive science and technology resources, such as SMART boards, iPads, laptops and supplies for hands-on science experiments. The shared curriculum approach of all GISSV programs enables a smooth transition between all grade levels for our students.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Mountain View Grades: 8-12 | 70 students
2462 Wyandotte Street
Mountain View, CA 94043
(650) 493-7071 2.6 8-12
- Mountain View Grades: 9-12 | 1760 students
1885 Miramonte Ave
Mountain View, CA 94040
(650) 968-1213 2.4 9-12
- Los Altos Grades: K-12 | 577 students
26800 Fremont Rd
Los Altos, CA 94022
(650) 209-3010 4.2 K-12
- Los Altos Grades: K-12 | 595 students
327 Fremont Ave
Los Altos, CA 94024
(650) 209-3050 3.1 K-12
- San Jose Grades: 9-12 | 1651 students
960 W Hedding St
San Jose, CA 95126
(408) 294-9224 8.9 9-12
My children love their little German school! From day 1 to today, they have each loved learning in this supportive and enriching environment. In fact, it is an ongoing joke in our home that if they don't obey, I might just keep them home from school. The ultimate threat! My oldest joined the oldest class in 1st grade with no knowledge of German. Seven years later, she is fluent in German, very much feels the part of a global citizen and has built her individual confidence. In my opinion, GISSV's curriculum is enriching and varied. They bring in the best forms of learning such as project-based learning, teaching others (ie presentations, helping others in class), inquiry-based learning. All the while keeping the foundation strong with practical and logical strength in mathematics, language arts and sciences. I very much appreciate that my children can even write beautifully. Additionally, the teachers are kind, nurturing and strict with high standards.
- Posted by Parent - B T
Choosing a private school is a process with many parts to it. It also takes 18-24 months to complete. This collection of articles deals with the first part of the process in which you begin to look at private schools and what they offer.
Marketing the small private school can be done affordably and effectively. We suggest five easy steps to make that happen.
Solid parent-teacher relationships have always been an important part of K-12 education. During this interminable pandemic, parent-teacher relationships have become even more important.