Signal Mountain Christian School
Tel: (423) 886-1115
- At SMCS, the combined emphasis upon academic excellence and spiritual training, taught in an intimate, hands-on, stimulating classroom environment that inspires a love of learning, creates an outstanding elementary school experience.
- Qualified, experienced teachers who care for and pray for each student model joyful faith as they address the spiritual, academic and personal development of each child. Thus, our motto: "Educating for Life.".
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-5|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||89 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 16%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||14 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||(2012-13 school year) K-2: $4,300; 3-5: $4,800 '17 '18 school year: K - 2nd grades: $5500 3rd - 5th grades: $6000|
|Admissions Director||Danette Kelley|
- The elementary school years are the most important in a child's intellectual and spiritual development. It is universally understood that children who, in elementary school, receive a solid foundation in reading, writing, math, science and history are equipped to excel during the remainder of their academic careers. What is often overlooked is that, during these same years, each child is learning and internalizing the values and beliefs that will shape and determine in large part his or her faith and character in adulthood.
- SMCS exists to assist Christian parents in educating their children to better understand God`s Word and His world. It is our goal to partner with parents to lead their children to faith in Jesus Christ, and help them to acquire a Christian world and life view, develop Christian character, and become equipped and motivated to impact the world for Christ.
- SMCS provides a broad, stimulating education that inspires a lifelong love of learning. Whenever practical, our teachers use techniques pioneered by Charlotte Mason. These techniques enable students to bring all their mental faculties into play: to identify important information, to think critically, to make value judgments about the ideas and relationships introduced, to express themselves, and to learn the vocabulary of good writers. The atmosphere in each class is conductive to learning: an intimate setting incorporating nature, classical music, art and scents. Through the great writings of men and women who love their subjects, and using the original texts, SMCS students are introduced to important ideas and inspirational relationships such as love, service, authority, obedience, reverence and neighborly kindness; relationships with family, friends and neighbors, cause and country, the past and the present. Charlotte Mason techniques are complimented by traditional, proven curriculum including phonics based reading, Saxon Math, and rich science and history texts. In addition to Bible classes and scripture memory, Christian thought is integrated into every subject as appropriate. God is the Lord of history, math, science, social studies, fine arts, and all other areas of human scholarship and inquiry. Our daily curriculum is filled with the wonder of discovering God's infinite wisdom, power and love in every area of human activity. It is an outworking of a Christian world and life view that recognizes the divine presence in the intricacies of a single snowflake, or the sonatas of Mozart; in the order of the solar system, or the brush strokes of Rembrandt.
- The school functions as an extension of the home, making parents true partners in their child's education. Qualified, experienced teachers-who know each student's heart as well as his or her academic strengths and weaknesses-pray for each student and model joyful faith as they give individual attention to the spiritual, academic, physical and personal development of each child, and reinforce the mutual values of the parents and the school. Parents have abundant opportunities to assist in the classrooms by reading to the class or with individual students, helping in the library, making presentations in areas of parental expertise that enrich the curriculum, and accompanying school trips. Parents have frequent opportunities to meet with the teachers, including scheduled events like quarterly progress meetings and monthly Parent-Teacher-Board meetings at which parents are updated as to what is going on in the school, and pray for specific needs of the students, their families and each other. The result is a supportive community atmosphere and an outstanding elementary school experience for parents and students alike.
- SMCS uses use the Stanford Achievement Test as a measure of academic progress in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades. Using a national achievement test allows us to measure our students' progress against students from all states, not just Tennessee, in both public and private schools. Generally, SMCS students perform in the above average range, well above the national average, and exceed the national average by a greater and greater margin with each year of education. By 5th grade they usually average 4-7 years ahead with many testing post-high school.
- SMCS students have a very high acceptance rate at private prep schools and Christian middle schools. The feedback we have received from principals, admissions directors, and parents is that our students have good character, have an excellent academic foundation, and are very well prepared to succeed academically at those institutions.
- If you would like to know more about SMCS, we invite you to visit our website at smcstn.org, or call the school office at 423-886-1115.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Chattanooga Grades: PK-5 | 364 students
300 Brookfield Ave
Chattanooga, TN 37411
(423) 622-3873 8.2 PK-5
- Chattanooga Grades: PK-5 | 204 students
7525 Min Tom Dr
Chattanooga, TN 37421
(423) 899-1999 12.8 PK-5
Whether you are just beginning the process of choosing a private school or several months into it, make sure that you keep these five 'must haves' front and center in your thinking.
Are charter schools private schools? What do vouchers have to do with private schools? Some answers here.
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.