Baylor School Photo #2 - Our state-of-the-art athletic facilities include an on-campus cross country course winding through the woods and along the Tennessee River.
Baylor School Photo #3 - Our faculty includes 96 teachers with advanced degrees, including 14 doctorate degrees.
Baylor School Photo #4 - The strength and support of our boarding community allow students to grow in ways that most high school kids won't experience until college.
Baylor School Photo #5 - New prototype classrooms feature movable furniture, multiple projectors that show different images, and walls with writing surfaces covered with floor-to-ceiling IdeaPaint.
Baylor School Photo #6 - With more state championships than any other school in Tennessee, Baylor's tradition of athletic leadership is strong.
Baylor School Photo #7 - For nearly 40 years, Baylor's Walkabout program has raised the standard for outdoor programs nationwide.
Baylor School Photo #8 - For both academic courses or afternoon creativity, Baylor's art facilities are literally state-of-the art. There are studio spaces for drawing, printmaking, pottery, sculpture, photography, computer graphics and painting - and it's just one of three art facilities.
Baylor School Photo #9 - The Weeks Science and Technology Building is the home for STEM courses and laboratories.
- Baylor's mission is to foster in its students both the abilityand the desire to make a positive difference in the world.
- Baylor fulfills its mission by providing a rich academic program that opens the minds of students, preparing them for college and for an ever-changing world, a school rooted in tradition yet receptive to change, staffed by talented adults who are devoted to teaching and who model for students a life-long love of learning, a wide variety of extracurricular experiences that require active participation and personal commitment, extending learning beyond the lessons of the traditional classroom, a diverse academy having at its heart a vibrant resident community of faculty and students from around the world, a balance of emphasis on activities of the mind, body, and spirit, encouraging students to grow into happy, caring, and honorable adults, ready and unafraid to be leaders for the public good.
Baylor School places among the top 20% of private schools in Tennessee for:
- Category Attribute
- Affordability Least expensive tuition
- Acceptance Rate Lowest average acceptance rates
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Student Body Largest student body
- AP Courses Most AP courses offered
- Sports offered Most sports offered
- Extracurriculars Most extracurriculars offered
- School History Oldest founding date
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
State or regional independent school association
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
Southern Association of Independent Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Total Students||1067 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 16%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||105 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||10:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||14 students|
|Number of AP Courses||22 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||3D Art, Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Chinese, Computer Science Principles, English (Language), English (Literature), Environmental Science, European History, French, German, Human Geography, Latin, Physics, Post-AP Chinese, Post-AP German, Post-AP Latin, Spanish (Language), Spanish (Literature), Statistics, Studio Art, US History|
|Average SAT score||1277|
|Average ACT score||27|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(khaki pants/skirts & Baylor polo)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 14 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$51,810|
|Tuition Notes||International tuition: $55,620 Day tuition: $25,440|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Jim Kennedy|
|Admissions Associate||VirginiaAnne Manson|
|Endowment Size||$142.7 million|
|Total Sports Offered||26 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Cheering, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Diving, Fencing, Football, Golf, Kayaking, Lacrosse, Mountaineering, Rock Climbing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Weightlifting, Winter Track, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Crew, Cross Country,
Rock Climbing, Soccer,
Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee,
Winter Track, Wrestling,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||22 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Community Service, Environmental Club, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Honor Council, Language Clubs, Literary Magazine, Model UN, National Honor Society, Newspaper, Peer Tutoring, Prefect Council, Robotics and Programming, Spirit Club, Student Government, Theater, Ultimate Frisbee, Walkabout Outdoors Program, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Choir, Dance Troupe, Jazz Band, Orchestra
- Baylor's mission is to instill in its students both the ability and the desire to make a positive difference in the world. All of us - students, faculty, staff, parents, alumni, donors, trustees, and friends - embrace that mission. Baylor graduates have various levels of preparation in leadership: academically, emotionally, physically, ethically, and competitively. While our programs are rigorously demanding, they are offered in a supportive and positive learning environment. Students can choose from 24 AP and post-AP classes as well as a scientific research design track that has them performing university-level research their senior year. In addition, our champion athletic teams give plenty of cause for celebration and build Red Raider pride. Theatre productions, the Walkabout outdoor program, community service, Honor Council, the Dorm Council, and dozens of clubs and organizations forge friendships that last a lifetime. All of this on a 690-acre campus that Architectural Digest called "the most beautiful in Tennessee."
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Chattanooga Grades: NS-12 | 980 students
4650 Buccaneer Trail
Chattanooga, TN 37411
(423)629-7610 7.6 NS-12
- Chattanooga Grades: 6-12 | 621 students
205 Island Avenue
Chattanooga, TN 37405
(423)634-7600 2.8 6-12
As you begin to evaluate schools, keep these five basic questions in mind.
The Cristo Rey Network of schools currently comprises some 26 schools in 17 states and the District of Columbia. Truth is they are just getting started.
Teaching gifted children requires deft handling. These children need intellectual and sensory stimulation. But they also need guidance and careful nurturing so that they grow up handling their special gifts and themselves appropriately.