Solomon Schechter Academy
Tel: (860) 443-5589
- Solomon Schechter Academy was founded in 1973 by a group of dedicated parents and community members who believed in the need for a quality Jewish day school in the region.
- They envisioned a school where children could receive an excellent education not only in the secular disciplines but also in Jewish history, texts, religious practice and Hebrew.
- While we embrace egalitarian Conservative Judaism in matters of religious observance, we welcome children from all Jewish backgrounds and teach respect for all Judaic views and practices.
- The school started with only six students and this year SSA will be celebrating it's 36th anniversary.
- Solomon Schechter Academy prepares our students for a lifetime of learning.
- We nurture in our children a positive Jewish identity, healthy self-esteem, and a sense of responsibility for themselves and their world.
- SSA is the educational choice for Jewish families seeking a stimulating, supportive, and enjoyable start for their children's formal schooling years.
- The program and facilities encourage intellectual development in a secure, individualized atmosphere, which fosters the child's natural curiosity and instills pride and confidence in his or her Jewish identity.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Solomon Schechter Day Schools (SSDS)|
State or regional independent school association
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-6|
|Total Students||34 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||7 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Groton Grades: PK-8 | 182 students
50 Sacred Heart Drive
Groton, CT 06340
(860) 445-0611 2 PK-8
- New London Grades: K-8 | 128 students
25 Squire St
New London, CT 06320
(860) 442-1720 1.2 K-8
- Norwich Grades: NS-9 | 118 students
120 Cliff St
Norwich, CT 06360
(860) 887-4565 14 NS-9
- Norwich Grades: PK-8 | 89 students
35 Wawecus Hill Rd
Norwich, CT 06360
(860) 887-7830 12.9 PK-8
If you live outside the United States, choosing an American private school can be a confusing process. Here is an overview of the process.
Many people thought vouchers would never amount to much. Not only have they amounted to a great deal more than anybody could have thought, but vouchers have encouraged several more education choices to flourish.
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?