St. George's Independent School
St. George`s began as an Episcopal day school in the winter of 1959.
Friends, neighbors, and a church community came together to bring the dream to life: to lay strong educational foundations, to forge fine character, and to do so bravely and joyfully.
Within the year the idea became a school, and St.
George`s opened its doors in Germantown to both boys and girls, and to families of all religions and races.
More than 60 years later, we are a city-spanning network of three campuses, with sprawling facilities, an exceptional faculty, and nearly 1,100 students from 50 zip codes.
We added a second lower school campus in Memphis, funded by generous donors, and expanded to encompass middle and upper divisions in Collierville.
And, most importantly, we have established a reputation for academic vigor, character education, and happy and successful students.
St. George's commitment to transformative diversity begins on the first day of school, in Germantown and Memphis, where we bring together students from a wide range of backgrounds and beliefs.
Our students do what kids naturally do: notice differences, explore them, forget them, and transcend them to form friendships.
We create an atmosphere in which differences are embraced, not ignored, through the process of knowing and being known.
Despite their different backgrounds, students find common ground in the simple convergences of being a teenager, being a student, being human.
A shared favorite band. A mutual talent for lacrosse. A similar struggle in calculus class.
As they interact and connect, St. George`s students change themselves and one another-and change, we hope, the face and fate of a city.
- Top Ranked TN School
- Grades: Nursery/Preschool-12
- Students: 1,015 students
- Yearly Tuition: $15,200
- Average class size: 15 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 20%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
Average Class Size
Number of AP Courses
List of Courses Offered
Average ACT score
Matriculation DataMatric. Data
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
PreK starts at 15,200
Total Sports Offered
- St. George's Independent School, a coeducational school with campuses in Memphis, Germantown, and Collierville, Tennessee. We hope that browsing our site will give you a glimpse of what makes a St. George's education truly unique. Founded in 1959 by parishioners of St. George's Episcopal Church, we began as a small, coeducational, independent day school. In the mid-1990's we embarked on a capital campaign to open two new, separately incorporated schools a new middle/upper school in Collierville and a second elementary school in Memphis. Today all three campuses share the same mission of being schools of excellence that prepare students for a life of learning and meaningful contribution through dedication to high academic achievement and the development of moral character reinforced by Judeo-Christian values. Our philosophy is student-centered. Rigorous academics are balanced by the recognition that students may excel and learn in many areas, whether in the classroom, on the athletic field, in the art studio, or on the stage. "Balance" is a word used frequently at St. George's because it recalls for us the need to nurture students' bodies and souls, as well as their minds.
Profile last updated: 09/17/2021
We moved our first son to SGIS in 9th grade and our second in 8th grade. We wish we would have moved them earlier! We were welcomed to the SGIS family in so many ways. My sons are getting a great education. They are not made to fit into a mold but instead, the school lets their individuality shine through. There is something for both of them on the sports fields, in the classroom, and in the numerous clubs. The teachers are engaged and push the kids to learn and advocate for themselves. No school is perfect but SGIS strives to continue to improve and serve the needs of all students.
Endorse St. George's Independent School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
How Exposed Is Your School?
There's much more to running a small private school than offering great academics and teaching. Be sure to check under the hood regularly to make sure everything keeps running smoothly.
Teen Travel In Uncertain Times
Most adults find traveling more complicated and challenging that it was pre-pandemic. We offer some suggestions for safe teen travel in these uncertain times.
Using Facebook, YouTube and Pinterest to Promote Your School
Social media is an effective marketing tool for your school. Here are some suggestions for using Facebook, YouTube and Pinterest.