St. John's Episcopal School
5.00 (6 reviews)
- St. John's Episcopal School is an independent, church-affiliated school enrolling boys and girls from 8 weeks old to 8th Grade. Located in Orange County about 40 miles southeast of Los Angeles, Rancho Santa Margarita is a picturesque, Spanish-style town a short distance from the Santa Ana Mountains and vast expanses of national forest.
- Grounded in the rich history of diversity and excellence in Episcopal education, St. John`s fosters every child`s full intellectual, physical, and spiritual development.
- A nurturing learning environment and programs built on an ideal balance of tradition and innovation encourage our students to pursue lives of service and purpose.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Episcopal Schools (NAES)|
National Association for the Education of Young Children
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
State or regional independent school association
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild Learning Differences|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||442 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||58 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 26 / Feb. 23 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$17,000|
|Tuition Notes||There are graduated-tuition levels according to grade; Early Childhood Division, Elementary Division, or Middle Division.|
|Admissions Director||Heather Doddridge|
|Admissions Associate||Seaby Rodriguez|
|Total Sports Offered||10 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Dance, Flag Football, Football, Lacrosse, Soccer, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Cheering,|
Cross Country, Dance,
Flag Football, Football,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||15 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Academic Chess, After School Art Lessons, After School Golf Lessons, Boy Scouts, Bricks 4 Kidz, cooking club, Peer Assistant Leadership (PAL), Student Government Grades 3-8
Arts and Music Programs:
Choir, Dance, Elementary Division Musical Theater, Instrumental Music, Middle Division Musical Theater
Recreational Athletic Programs:
- As an independent school, we are able to determine our own mission and values, and to create programs and approaches to learning that best serve our students. Through an ideal balance of tradition and innovation, we prepare every student for success in education and life beyond St. John`s. A strong character education program, grounded in the Episcopal heritage, equips our students with a strong moral compass and a commitment to service. Similarly, our highly acclaimed STEAM program provides the knowledge, skills, and habits of mind that enable our students to flourish academically in high school and college.
- All this is accomplished in a nurturing learning environment, where every student is well known and valued. Our size is ideal: we are big enough to offer a wide range of opportunities in athletics, fine and performing arts, and clubs and activities; and we are small enough to ensure that we know how every student learns best and what motivates them to learn. We work in close partnership with parents to bring out the best in every child entrusted to us.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Rancho Santa Margarita Grades: PK-8 | 113 students
29782 Avenida De Las Bandera
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA 92688
(949)459-0199 1.5 PK-8
St. John`s is a spectacular school! They offer schooling for early childhood to 8th, which is great for homes that have two working parents. Their STEAM Program gives my girls a ton of opportunities to learn about Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Mathematics. Even in the Early Childhood Center kids are introduced to each of these in a fun way. More importantly, my kids are taught to cooperate, follow directions, and that they are capable. The school also values character development, showing kids that it is just as important to be a good person as it is to be intelligent. The staff is filled with caring, enthusiastic, gifted, and creative people. The class ratios are lower than most private schools, so my girls get a ton of guidance. They truly love going to school and often stall at pick-up time so they can stay a little longer. The school does a great job of promoting family bonding. The parents are involved in the school`s success and supportive of one another, which translates to deeper friendships with our children and an overall family-feel at St. John`s. You and your children will love it here!
- Posted by Parent - MBrown
This school has been amazing for our family. Our children all have unique needs, talents and interests. The school truly cares about the whole child and it is evident in the concern the teachers show for their students. The Resource program has been an amazing support for our child with reading difficulties. And the differentiated learning for math and reading provides the perfect challenge for our child reading above grade level. The STEAM education has also given our kids the tools and skills to work collaboratively and think critically. We couldn't be happier at this school.
- Posted by Parent - -sew
My son graduated from St. John's and was very well prepared for high school. They have a Spanish program that is nothing short of amazing! My son started in Spanish 2 Honors as a Freshman.
- Posted by Parent - sean.
My daughter graduated from St. John's and recently graduated with Magna Cum Laude Honors from Chapman University. The excellent foundation in English and Math she received at St. John's created the ability for her to succeed in Advanced Placement classes in high school and continue to excel at the University.
- Posted by Parent - graha
We moved from public school last year and are very impressed with the emphasis on good study habits and accountability. The STEAM curriculum is excellent too. The children are engaged - tuned in and turned on. Teachers explore topics from multiple angles, and the learning style is very hands-on. Overall a very progressive school that has not lost sight of the basics.
- Posted by Parent - amy
Parent of two children and would absolutely recommend this school to anyone in the area. Best value for private education in South Orange County. Excellent elementary and middle school program with innovative STEM/STEAM program (technology, robotics, etc.). New language program to include Mandarin has been a big hit. Focus on individualized attention per student is clear given focus on class size.
- Posted by Parent - hagem
What is a lab school? It's a K-12 school or school with some variation of those grades which is operated by a university or college.
Helicopter, velcro and snowplow parents can't stand the thought of their children having difficulty with anything. Over-protective parents come in several flavors. More here.
Raising money for your small school never seems to end. There is always some pressing need. And a few long-term ones as well. We offer some tips, suggestions and strategies to help you tackle this important aspect of your school's financial situation.