St. Leo The Great School
Saint Leo the Great School community leads by the example of Jesus, with respect and compassion for all, to foster faith and academic growth.
Founded in 1957, we have been instilling values and virtues in ourstudents for over half a century, educating Pre-School 3-Grade 8.
St. Leo has implemented a K-8 Lab Learner program to enhance science instruction. We have also purchased Google Chromebooks to increase technology education in the classroom.
ActivBoard technology is present in every classroom for hands on learning, which improves your child`s cognitive abilities and critical thinking skills.
Honors High School Algebra offered to qualified 8th graders and Adv.Math courses gr.5-8 (including Geometry) for those who qualify.
Three mobile labs and 15,000 volume media center assists with providing a multi-faceted learning approach to our science andsocial studies curriculum.
Spanish is offered in Kindergarten through 8th Grade. St. Leo the Great offers a myriad of extracurricular activities, such as Robotics, Girls on the Run, Odyssey of the Mind, Art/Math Clubs, Drama, and Irish Dance
Our NVCYO Sports Program includes Basketball, Track & Field, Tennis,Volleyball, and Cheerleading.
We have an award winning Band program and a beginning and advanced Strings program.
Quick Stats (2023)
- Top Ranked VA School
- Grades: Prekindergarten-8
- Enrollment: 366 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
- Source: Verified school update
St. Leo The Great School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in Virginia for:
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Blue Ribbon School - Selected in 2006
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 30%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
Total Sports Offered
- Saint Leo the Great School is a dynamic learning environment rooted in Catholic faith and tradition. With Jesus Christ as our model and guide, we follow faithfully on a lifelong journey to grow and develop spiritually, intellectually, emotionally, socially, physically and culturally. We recognize each child as a creation of God made in His image with unique gifts and talents. Throughout the learning environment, educators incorporate Gospel values and foster a spirit of inquiry. We employ a variety of tools and techniques to challenge each child to achieve his or her full potential. In collaboration with parents, the child's primary educators, we provide a safe, nurturing atmosphere, infused with faith, morals and Catholic principles. Together, we prepare children to be faithful Catholics and productive citizens in a global society. We strive to teach as Jesus does --- with authority, compassion and love.
Source: Verified school update
Frequently Asked Questions
What sports does St. Leo The Great School offer?
St. Leo The Great School offers 4 interscholastic sports: Basketball, Cheering, Track and Field and Volleyball.
What is St. Leo The Great School's ranking?
St. Leo The Great School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in Virginia for: Largest student body.
When is the application deadline for St. Leo The Great School?
The application deadline for St. Leo The Great School is rolling (applications are reviewed as they are received year-round).
Endorse St. Leo The Great School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Children With Learning Differences: How To Proceed
Facing the reality that your child has learning differences is never easy. But with a diagnosis from a qualified professional, and skilled experienced teachers who know how to remediate those differences, your child can learn to handle her differences. More here.
Enrichment Resources For Children Ages 10-14
I asked ChatGPT to list apps, YouTube Channels, and podcasts suitable for enriching the studies of students ages 10-14. (We'll look at resources for younger and older students in another article.)
February 13, 2023Designing Assignments In The ChatGPT Era
AI (Artificial Intelligence), specifically ChatGPT, poses some serious challenges for teachers. We explore the importance of teaching students how to attribute the work and ideas of others.