5.00 (1 review)
Tel: (703)273-8000 Ext. 133
Merritt Academy Photo #2 - Merritt Preschool classes offer students a chance to develop literacy, math, communication skills in a nurturing play-based environment.
Merritt Academy Photo #3 - All students from Pre-K through eighth grade participate in the STEAM program. Older students learn keyboarding, coding or programming skills while younger students visit the preschool STEAM Lab every week to work with their own specialist.
Merritt Academy Photo #4 - Exercising their imaginations and collaborative skills during Art Class and Creativity Lab, students design and build their own projects.
- Merritt Academy provides care and education for infants through 8th Graders and is committed to character development as well as a rigorous academic program.
- At Merritt, each student is encouraged to learn through the exploration of individual interests, talents and potential.
- Classroom ratios meet and exceed requirements. For more specific information, contact the Admissions Office for ratios by age group.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||State or regional independent school association|
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Total Students||395 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 26%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||16 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||25:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||12 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 28 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$18,440|
|Tuition Notes||Rate shown is for kindergarten. Elementary to middle school tuition ranges from $18,790 to $18,920 and include daily lunch. Early childhood rates vary by age group from $1,815 to $2,027 monthly, including snacks and lunch.|
|Admissions Director||Ari Autor|
|Total Sports Offered||1 sport|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||16 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Arabic Club, Character Club, Cooking Club, French Club, National Elementary Honor Society, National Junior Honor Society, Spanish Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Classes, Dance Classes, Piano Lessons
Recreational Athletic Programs:
basketball, Cheer, martial arts, Soccer, Tennis Lessons, Yoga
- Prospective families are encouraged to request a personal tour or attend an admissions event such as Discovery Days in early November or Open Campus morning at the end of January. Full admissions application, $75 fee, teacher recommendation, student record request, and academic accessment should be complete prior to the end of January for priority consideration as well as for financial aid and the YES scholarship program. Admission fee is reduced for YES applicants. The on campus student academic assessments should be scheduled through the Admissions office as part of the application process. Applications received after the end of January will be considered on a rolling basis as space permits. For classes at capacity, applicants will be added to our waiting list.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Fairfax Grades: PK-3 | 107 students
9655 Blake Lane
Fairfax, VA 22031
(703)281-7747 1 PK-3
Our 2-year-old daughter has attended Merritt Academy since she was 6 months old, and we would not dream of sending her anywhere else. Our experience has been magical. Merritt is not only her school; it is her second home. We truly feel that her teachers love and care for her as if she were their own child. Looking back on the past two years, we realize that we as parents have learned as much from our daughter's teachers as she has. With their wisdom and patience, they helped and continue to help us through all the transitions of babyhood and toddlerhood. The environment at Merritt is as enriching as it is loving. Even for babies and toddlers, teachers treat the experience like school - in the best sense of the word, with endless activities and experiences that are fun, creative, engaging and educational. Every day when we take our daughter to Merritt, we know that she is in a place where she will be cultivated and loved. On a practical note, the hours and holiday/inclement weather closures at Merritt are better than any day care or school we have heard of. Merritt prides itself on serving working families, and it does. We have a somewhat unusual weekday schedule, and Merritt has consistently accommodated us so that we can maximize time with our daughter. We send her to Merritt first and foremost for the loving and enriching environment, but the practical aspects have also helped us more than we can say.
- Posted by Parent - Emily S.
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
Religion is important to you. You want your children to be educated in a school where your religion matters.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.