St. Mary's Academy
5.00 (5 reviews)
Tel: (503) 228-8306
St. Mary's Academy Photo #2 - College-preparatory curricula, outstanding faculty, and learning environments that extend far beyond the classroom, provides our curious, hard working students with the tools to reach their full academic potential.
St. Mary's Academy Photo #3 - Our student athletes have won 20 OSAA state championships in six different sports and two Oregon Girls Lacrosse Association state titles.
St. Mary's Academy Photo #4 - 89% of the student body is involved in extracurricular activities, from robotics to dragon boat racing, there are more than 30 clubs available to join.
St. Mary's Academy Photo #5 - SMA students have abundant opportunities to explore their inner artist, musician, dancer, actor and singer through nearly 30 unique Fine Arts courses and programs.
St. Mary's Academy Photo #6 - Our performing arts program includes choral and instrumental music, dance and theatrical presentations, allowing students to work together on the stage and as members of the crew to put on a variety of performances.
St. Mary's Academy Photo #7 - We believe in girls who lift each other up, who become what they always planned and what they never imagined. We believe in applause.
St. Mary's Academy Photo #8 - The nationally recognized St. Mary's Academy MARIANS ARE THE ONLY ALL-FEMALE CHOIR IN THE HISTORY OF THE OSAA 6A STATE CHOIR COMPETITION to be awarded FIRST PLACE. The Marians have performed twice in our nation's White House.
- St. Mary's Academy is a place where girls collaborate, lead, mentor and learn from one another.
- A place where girls are adventurous, engaged learners in Math, Science, and Technology as well as Humanities and Fine Arts. Our rich tradition, steeped in the Catholic faith, nurtures each student's spirituality and encourages them to explore and expand their faith.
- At St. Mary's we believe in becoming. We believe in the artist, the thinker, the dancer, the coder, the athlete, the servant, the leader - especially the leader.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
National Coalition of Girls
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||685 students|
|Student Body Type||All-girls|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||52 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||13:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||21 students|
|Number of AP Courses||10 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Chemistry, AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature, AP French, AP Spanish, AP Studio Art, AP Studio Drawing, AP US Government|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$15,995|
|Admissions Director||Jen Bash|
|Admissions Associate||Kelsey Hui|
|Total Sports Offered||11 sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Lacrosse, Nordic Skiing, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballAlpine Skiing, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Golf,
Lacrosse, Nordic Skiing,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||31 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Asian Pacific Club, Black Student Union, Community Service, Debate, Ethics Bowl, Film Club, French Club, Girl Up, History Club, Human Rights Club, Jewish Student Union, Latino Club, Mock Trial, Multicultural Club, Oregon Battle of the Books, Outdoor Club, Politics Club, Queer Student Union, Robotics, Science Bowl, Science Club, Science Fiction Club, Student Government, Women's Equality Club, Writer's club
Arts and Music Programs:
Choir, Dance, Orchestra, Theatre, Visual Arts Program
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Dragon Boat Racing
- At St. Mary's Academy, unique, powerful women leaders are not the exception to the rule-they're everyone you meet. Since 1859, when a group of passionate Sisters founded a school for women when none like it existed, St. Mary's has always been a place that nurtures extraordinary women leaders.
- That's the beauty of a program only we can offer as Oregon's sole provider of the exemplary all-girls Catholic high school education-a place where women are challenged to take risks on the field, on the stage, and in the lab; where women are setting an example for what a leader really looks like.
- St. Mary's Academy is the only place where young women, embracing a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds, come together to discover, grow and thrive in an environment designed specifically for their success.
- St. Mary's students break molds. They know how to speak their mind just as well as they know mindfulness, they lean on spirituality, faith and Catholic values while they carve out their own paths, and lift each other up in the process.
- St. Mary's graduates enter the world confident in their abilities, energized by their passions, grounded in our traditions, and undaunted by the challenges they will face.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Portland Grades: 9-12 | 913 students
2401 Se Stark St
Portland, OR 97214
(503) 235-3138 2 9-12
- Anaheim Grades: 9-12 | 130 students
2323 W Broadway
Anaheim, CA 92804
(714) 776-1717 844.9 9-12
- Inglewood Grades: 9-12 | 244 students
701 Grace Avenue
Inglewood, CA 90301
(310) 674-8470 829.8 9-12
- La Canada Flintridge Grades: 9-12 | 402 students
440 St. Katherine Dr.
La Canada Flintridge, CA 91011
(626) 685-8333 818.2 9-12
One of the things I love about St. Mary's is the supportive and non-judgemental environment. I feel a lot more confident being myself at school now because of how accepting people are. It`s a place where I feel encouraged to express myself and my opinions without fear of judgement from my peers. Many of the other girls who decide to attend St. Mary's also want to be a part of a community where they feel included and validated, which is why we are able to cultivate this type of inclusive environment. The amazing community of students and faculty at SMA is what truly makes it a special place!
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Hanna
I am a junior here at St. Mary`s and I am so glad that I chose to go to SMA. One of my favorite parts of the school is the community and the wonderful supportive teachers. Digital Learning has been hard for everyone but throughout the challenge, the community has stayed strong and really supportive, especially the wonderful teachers. The teachers are eager to still teach making learning during the COVID-19 pandemic enjoyable. Activities are still staying active and finding new ways to be completed and connect with others. St. Mary`s has been a great place to learn and grow and I feel like I have done that a lot since I have started attending SMA. I would recommend this school for anyone who is wanting to find out more about themselves and really grow as an individual.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Maddie
My name is Lily, and I am a current junior at St Mary's. I honestly wasn`t planning to go to a private school for high school, let alone an all girls' school, but I am really glad that I chose to! From the first shadow visit, I felt at home. Not in a cheesy way, I promise. The environment is welcoming and free of harsh judgement, and I think that comes from the all-girl's experience. Classroom discussions have a mature quality that I feel was lacking in my co-ed schools. Having such a wide range of clubs and extracurriculars ensures that you will feel like you belong. Having a challenging academic environment is really very rewarding. There is always someone that can help you if you`re struggling, as well. The academic support center has been a big help for me, as well as friends and teachers. The teachers here at SMA have your best interest at heart and will always find time to help you. My biggest piece of advice is to use the activity blocks and studies provided to get work done. I've learned the work load is what you make of it.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Lily
I'm a junior at St. Mary's and I love SMA. My favorite things about St. Mary's are the amazing teachers, community, and opportunities students have. Especially during digital learning, teachers have been very flexible and worked with us to fit our needs. I always feel very supported at St. Mary's through my teachers, friends, and peers. Finally, there is such an amazing variety of things to try. We have so many fun sports, clubs, and leadership opportunities. I love this community and I hope you'll consider shadowing if you're thinking about St. Mary's!
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Maggie
I'm Payton, a current Junior at St. Mary's Academy in downtown Portland. I have always loved the strong and supportive community SMA has to offer and I feel it now more than ever. All the teachers have created a safe and nurturing environment for all the students online, which has created a great feeling of security. Everyone is eager to learn, despite being online, which has made the covid-19 experience a lot better. SMA has also done a great job at making sure there is a place for everyone despite not being at school. There has been so many different clubs and activities such as the sports leadership conference and improve club which I am a part of. These are just two of the ways SMA is helping all of the students during a stressful time, and I am so thankful to be a part of the community.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Payton
TLTR? There are a couple of private school documents which you need to read.
Sending your children to an international school might make sense if you plan on being in the U.S. only for a few years.
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.