5.00 (3 reviews)
- Inspiring daily through academics and arts. Northwest Academy is an independent college preparatory school, grades 6 through 12, located in downtown Portland.
- At Northwest Academy, we connect middle and high school students to gifted and passionate faculty, joining arts and academics through a pioneering educational vision on a vibrant urban campus.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||AdvancED|
NWAIS (Northwest Association of Independent Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Total Students||225 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 21%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||37 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 31 / rolling|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Lainie Ettinger|
|Admissions Associate||Morgan Kunze|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||22 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||American Politics, Improv, Jazz Band, Photography, Project Theatre, Robotics, Sound Recording, theatre, Theatre Tech|
Club or Organization:
Costume/Make up, Environmental Club, Journalism, Literary Journal, Peer Leadership, Spirit Committee, Yearbook Staff
Arts and Music Programs:
after school music, and art classes, Art, dance, Digital Art, Garage Band
- Northwest Academy is an independent, coeducational, accredited, college-preparatory day school, grades 6 through 12, committed to education through academics and the arts. Northwest Academy's mix of engaging academic work and arts training gives students options and choices for college and beyond. Average student/teacher ratio is 15:1. The school is located in a culturally rich, urban setting, which constitutes an integral part of extracurricular and multicultural programs.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Portland Grades: PK-12 | 756 students
8825 SW Barnes Road
Portland, OR 97225
(503)297-1894 4.1 PK-12
- Portland Grades: 9-12 | 913 students
2401 Se Stark St
Portland, OR 97214
(503)235-3138 2.1 9-12
- Portland Grades: 9-12 | 96 students
9020 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy
Portland, OR 97225
(503)297-2336 4.6 9-12
- Portland Grades: 9-12 | 1300 students
9000 Sw Beaverton-hillsdale Hwy
Portland, OR 97225
(503)292-2663 4.6 9-12
Amazing school! Northwest Academy transformed my sons` lives. Because of the small class size and school, students develop close relationships with the faculty. The students enjoy the meaningful and creative work and learn to do their homework without parental nagging. Northwest Academy graduates adults who are curious, articulate, and inclusive. The location means the students experience downtown Portland's vibrant cultural institutions. My sons are able to talk confidently with adults, navigate an urban environment, and solve problems independently.You should check out the school if you are looking for an accepting environment that nurtures and supports achievement, risk-taking, hard work and questioning.
- Posted by Parent - P+Pmom
NW Academy has amazing academics, especially in the writing/humanities and math areas. The classes resemble college seminars with 12 to 15 kids clustered around a table with a teacher discussing the class topics. And the arts classes are the best, with amazing teachers who are leaders in their field, whether it is painting, theater, voice, music, etc. I like that it is all part of the class day, and the creative approach infuses the academic classes as well. The students are all there because they love learning -- and there's a culture of respect for differences and appreciation of lifelong learning that really meshes with our values. The teachers are inspirational, and the small class sizes mean that the adults set the tone and are strong role models for the kids.
- Posted by Parent - evkar
The Northwest Academy has provided my children with an incredible mix of artistic and academic challenges. The dedicated teaching staff takes the time to get to know each individual student and I have always found staff to respond quickly to my questions or concerns. Although this is an ''arts focused'' school, we have found the academics to be far superior to those which our eldest child received in our local school. A great deal of attention is paid to the development of solid writing skills, but the artistic responses provide an opportunity for students to show what they know in a wide variety of formats. Although no school is perfect, this one is pretty close.
- Posted by Parent - ajens
If you have a child who sings, you might want to consider a choir school. In the United States, most of these schools are day schools.
Your school's website and your social media sites are essential tools in your marketing program.
Choosing the right private school for your child is a lengthy process. I want you to achieve the success which you deserve without making these common mistakes other parents have made.