The Academy At Charlemont
- The Academy at Charlemont is a small independent day school serving students in 7th-12th grades, and post-graduate.
- We highly esteem civility, helpfulness, and a concern for others.
- The Academy at Charlemont makes a classical, academic education available to children from the towns of Western Massachusetts and to a small number of boarding students from other countries and areas of the United States.
- Our traditional curriculum also includes the study of cultures and ideas outside mainstream Western history and society.
- We believe that the members of a free society should share a body of basic knowledge that both enables individuals to grow and flourish and equips them to contribute to the well-being of the larger group.
- To that end, we emphasize clear, original thinking that is expressed with precision, clarity, and grace.
- We believe that much is lost when this body of basic knowledge is divided into discrete disciplines; we strive to show the connections among peoples, places, and areas of inquiry through inter-disciplinary teaching and learning.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
New England Association of Schools and Colleges
Association of Independent Schools in New England (AISNE)
|Grades Offered||Grades 7-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Total Students||91 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||15 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Average SAT score||1390|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 15 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$22,500|
|Tuition Notes||Over half of our students receive need-based financial aid grants each year.|
|Admissions Director||Martha Tirk|
|Total Sports Offered||11 sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Freestyle Skiing, Kayaking, Lacrosse, Snowboarding, Soccer, Tennis, Ultimate FrisbeeAlpine Skiing, Baseball,
Basketball, Cross Country,
Freestyle Skiing, Kayaking,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||23 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||A Capella, American Roots Band, Basket Weaving, Blues Band, Celtic Band, Ceramics, Chess Club, Computer Programming, Creative, Dance, Film Studies, GSA, Garage Rock Band, Investment Club, Jazz Band, Jewelry Making, Klezmer Band, Knitting Club, Metal Working, Mosaics, R & B Band, Recording, Rug Braiding A Capella, Basket Weaving, Blues Band, Celtic Band, Ceramics, Chess Club, Creative, Dance, Film Studies, GSA, Jazz Band, Jewelry Making, Klezmer Band, Knitting Club, Metal Working, Mosaics, R & B Band, Recording, Rug Braiding, American Roots Band,
Garage Rock Band,
- Welcome to the Academy at Charlemont. The Academy is a public-spirited private school that combines the best of the classical academic tradition with a visible commitment to building and sustaining community. Most Academy students go on to college, and most of them live within fifty miles of Charlemont, a small town in rural Western Massachusetts. Explore our web site to learn more about this excellent small school. The Academy believes that the academic, liberal arts tradition is a challenging, intellectually stimulating ground on which young people can both learn to use their minds well, and furnish those minds with the kind of broad, basic knowledge needed to succeed in college and as citizens of the world. We believe in emphasizing connections among the academic disciplines because "real world" challenges require citizens to think beyond the discrete boundaries of academic disciplines, to look at things from many different angles. We believe that a school community based on values- self-reliance, industry, integrity, and compassion - encourages development of intellectual and social standards that reflect those values. We believe that affirming the uniqueness of each individual and at the same time insisting that individuals subscribe to a set of commonly held standards - civility, respect, concern for others - produces a healthy tension that helps students learn, grow, and become productive citizens.We`ll not be able to capture the unique spirit, vitality, and humor of Academy life on this website. When you come to visit you`ll immediately be struck by the physical beauty of our rural setting, the friendliness and civility of our community, the amount of laughter one hears, and the respect for learning one observes. In and of its place, The Academy`s school meeting is modeled on the New England town meeting, a democratic institution where each citizen is encouraged to: Find your voice. Speak your mind.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
WilbrahamGrades: 6-12 | 425 students
423 Main Street
Wilbraham, MA 01095
WellesleyGrades: 5-12 | 484 students
45 Dana Road
Wellesley, MA 02482
DeerfieldGrades: 9-12 | 644 students
7 Boyden Lane
Deerfield, MA 01342