The Discovery Center School
5.00 (4 reviews)
Reading, writing and arithmetic lead a student directly to excellence in education and success in college.
- The Discovery Center School is a college preparatory, private school in San Francisco.
- We are located on the second floor above a church (with no church affiliation).
- DCS offers college preparatory instruction to grades kindergarten through high school graduation. If interested, please ask about our college level.
- Remediation and tutoring are also available. The school is friendly, safe, academic and affordable.
- Regular field trips and activities are offered for academic and cultural enrichment -- and fun!.
- Students receive individual attention. Qualified, caring teachers prepare each student for success.
- Our graduates continue on to the best schools, colleges, and universities.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association for the Education of Young Children|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||We include well-behaved students with learning differences into our program on a regular basis.|
|Total Students||27 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 43%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||4 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Number of AP Courses||4 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||World History, Math, Physics, U. S. History, English|
|Average SAT score||900|
|Average ACT score||22|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Practical and appropriate)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$12,000|
|Tuition Notes||Affordable: Sliding scale. Family rates. We make an effort to work within the family's budget. We offer the Rula L. Rasmusson Trust Fund scholarship to help pay tuition, if needed.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$7,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Jan Taylor|
|Admissions Associate||Jan Taylor|
|Total Sports Offered||9 sports|
|Sports||Badminton, Basketball, Fencing, Figure Skating, Indoor Soccer, Martial Arts, Soccer, Tennis, VolleyballBadminton, Basketball,|
Fencing, Figure Skating,
Indoor Soccer, Martial Arts,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||3 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Coding Club, Homework Club
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Sports House Membership
- College Preparatory
- Safe and Caring
- Individualized Instuction
- Small class size
- Help with homework
- Extended care, 7:AM to 6:PM -- Please ask.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- San FranciscoGrades: PK-8 | 310 students
2938 Washington Street
San Francisco, CA 94115
- San FranciscoGrades: NS-12 | 1096 students
150 Oak Street
San Francisco, CA 94102
- San FranciscoGrades: K-8 | 153 students
495 9th Ave
San Francisco, CA 94118
- San FranciscoGrades: NS-8 | 276 students
300 Gaven St
San Francisco, CA 94134
- San FranciscoGrades: KG-8 | 253 students
665 Elizabeth St
San Francisco, CA 94114
Hi, This small college preparatory independent private school is for kindergarten through twelfth grade. It's academic, fun and affordable. Graduates continue on to the best schools and universities. DCS has on-going enrollment. It cares for each student as an individual while keeping the goals and standards set high. (Entrance to the University of California is used to set the standard.) Help the school grow. Enroll now! Jan
- Posted by Administrator - janta
My daughter has been taking private tutoring lessons at The Discovery Center School this summer and I hope to enroll her in the Fall for the 2013-2014 school year. I have been so impressed with the care and consideration given to my daughter who has struggled with math for years. Finally we have found a school that has teachers that can patiently take her from where she is to where she needs to be.
- Posted by Parent - peggy
I have found so many conflicting reports about this school. It is a wonderful school and I have found the teachers and students to be exceptional. The programs are of the highest standards and the flexibility offers windows for imagination and creativity. I would recommend this school to everyone!
- Posted by Student/Alumni - onesw
WOW can I tell you I have not been so excited to teach in a school for a long time! I love how this school is run and how much fun the kids have by both hands on and studies. Jan Taylor is a wonderful teach and I am priveledged to come on board!
- Posted by Teacher - hismi
January 19, 2018
Depending on their family circumstances, our Presidents received a wide range of primary and secondary schooling.
January 19, 2018
A fascinating look at where our first Presidents went to school.
January 18, 2018
From time to time we all wonder how things might have turned out if circumstances and situations had been different. We apply that questioning to private schools.