Katherine Michiels School
- For over four decades, Katherine Michiels School (KMS) has served Bay Area children and families. We pride ourselves on providing high-quality, affordable education within a nurturing, child-centered environment.
- Our mission is to foster each child`s experience of the world so that he or she can blossom to their fullest potential and become a compassionate, autonomous and contributing member of society.
- KMS has chosen the humanistic, progressive pedagogies of the Reggio Emilia educational approach and Council in Schools as our educational compass.
- Both approaches see the child as a competent and equal partner in the educational journey.
Katherine Michiels School places among the top 20% of private schools in California for:
- Category Attribute
- Acceptance Rate Lowest average acceptance rates
|School Type||Alternative School|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-5|
|Total Students||85 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||13 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||14 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 15 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$17,200|
|Tuition Notes||Preschool 3 year = $1900/month Preschool 2 year = $2100/month Infants and Toddlers = $2,625/month|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Colleen Mulvey|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||4 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
After School Science Class, De Colores - Spanish Language Program
Arts and Music Programs:
After School Dance Class, After School Music Class
- Reggio Emilia educational approach & Council in Schools as educational compass.
- De Colores Spanish Culture and Language Program.
- Nature Education supports Science curriculum - includes overnight camping trips to Yosemite several times each year.
- Fieldtrip Fridays support project-based learning approach.
- Summer Camps and afternoon Enrichment Classes offered for KMS students and the public.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- San Francisco Grades: K-8 | 230 students
1690 Church St
San Francisco, CA 94131
(415)648-2055 0.5 K-8
- San Francisco Grades: K-8 | 271 students
665 Elizabeth St
San Francisco, CA 94114
(415)824-8467 0.7 K-8
- San Francisco Grades: PK-8 | 195 students
1387 Valencia St
San Francisco, CA 94110
(415)567-6177 0.1 PK-8
- San Francisco Grades: PK-8 | 441 students
333 Dolores Street
San Francisco, CA 94110
(415)861-5432 1 PK-8
Absolutely the best place to send your child Hands down! I have been sending my children here since they were two and a half years old now they are 10 and 6. The girls absolutely love their school and respect and admire their teachers (especially Randall). I can honestly say that my girls are " in touch" with the environment, the community and most importantly themselves. KMS takes a different approach to teaching and interacting with children fostering confidence and independence in each student. My girls are inquisitive, analytic, emotionally intelligent. I am a native San Franciscan and a product of tough -old fashioned public schools. I know the difference in quality and individualized focus my children get and I''m glad they are a part of KMS.
- Posted by Parent - chump