Katherine Michiels School
5.00 (1 review)
- For over four decades, Katherine Michiels School (KMS) has served Bay Area children and families. We pride ourselves on providing high-quality, affordable education within a nurturing, child-centered environment.
- Our mission is to foster each child`s experience of the world so that he or she can blossom to their fullest potential and become a compassionate, autonomous and contributing member of society.
- KMS has chosen the humanistic, progressive pedagogies of the Reggio Emilia educational approach and Council in Schools as our educational compass.
- Both approaches see the child as a competent and equal partner in the educational journey.
|School Type||Alternative School|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-5|
|Total Students||85 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||13 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||14 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 15 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$17,200|
|Tuition Notes||Preschool 3 year = $1900/month Preschool 2 year = $2100/month Infants and Toddlers = $2,625/month|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Colleen Mulvey|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||4 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
After School Science Class, De Colores - Spanish Language Program
Arts and Music Programs:
After School Dance Class, After School Music Class
- Reggio Emilia educational approach & Council in Schools as educational compass.
- De Colores Spanish Culture and Language Program.
- Nature Education supports Science curriculum - includes overnight camping trips to Yosemite several times each year.
- Fieldtrip Fridays support project-based learning approach.
- Summer Camps and afternoon Enrichment Classes offered for KMS students and the public.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- San Francisco Grades: NS-8 | 230 students
1690 Church St
San Francisco, CA 94131
(415)648-2055 0.5 NS-8
- San Francisco Grades: K-8 | 271 students
665 Elizabeth St
San Francisco, CA 94114
(415)824-8467 0.7 K-8
- San Francisco Grades: PK-8 | 195 students
1387 Valencia St
San Francisco, CA 94110
(415)567-6177 0.1 PK-8
- San Francisco Grades: PK-8 | 441 students
333 Dolores Street
San Francisco, CA 94110
(415)861-5432 1 PK-8
Absolutely the best place to send your child Hands down! I have been sending my children here since they were two and a half years old now they are 10 and 6. The girls absolutely love their school and respect and admire their teachers (especially Randall). I can honestly say that my girls are " in touch" with the environment, the community and most importantly themselves. KMS takes a different approach to teaching and interacting with children fostering confidence and independence in each student. My girls are inquisitive, analytic, emotionally intelligent. I am a native San Franciscan and a product of tough -old fashioned public schools. I know the difference in quality and individualized focus my children get and I''m glad they are a part of KMS.
- Posted by Parent - chump
We look at ways in which your small to medium-sized private school can use social media to make families past, present, and future aware of your school.
Helicopter, velcro and snowplow parents can't stand the thought of their children having difficulty with anything. Over-protective parents come in several flavors. More here.
Choosing a college is one of the rituals every family with a junior in private school needs to cope with. These five metrics will give you an overview of the process.