The Discovery School Of Virginia
- The Discovery School Of Virginia for Boys and the Discovery School of Virginia for Girls serve young people who are experiencing emotional, behavioral, and learning problems.
- The 318 acre boys program and 150 acre girls program are located on separate campuses in the rolling uplands of central Virginia.
- The Discovery Schools use a group problem-solving process and the natural environment to promote a student's overall positive development.
|School Type||Alternative School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||State or regional independent school association|
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild/Moderate Learning Differences, Emotional/Behavioral Disorders, Other Health Impaired|
|Total Students||54 students|
|Student Body Type||All-boys|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 24%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||7 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||5 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$60,000|
|Admissions Director||Don Williams|
|Admissions Associate||Mike Forman|
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Fork Union Grades: 7-12 | 343 students
PO Box 278, 4744 James Madison Hwy
Fork Union, VA 23055
(434)842-4205 19.4 7-12
- Henrico Grades: 9-12 | 268 students
12829 River Road
Henrico, VA 23238
(804)708-9504 49.1 9-12
- New Castle Grades: 6-11 | 12 students
700 Scenic Lane
New Castle, VA 24127
(540)864-6640 85 6-11
What is a lab school? It's a K-12 school or school with some variation of those grades which is operated by a university or college.
Helicopter, velcro and snowplow parents can't stand the thought of their children having difficulty with anything. Over-protective parents come in several flavors. More here.
Raising money for your small school never seems to end. There is always some pressing need. And a few long-term ones as well. We offer some tips, suggestions and strategies to help you tackle this important aspect of your school's financial situation.