The Discovery School Of Virginia
5.00 (2 reviews)
- The Discovery School Of Virginia for Boys and the Discovery School of Virginia for Girls serve young people who are experiencing emotional, behavioral, and learning problems.
- The 318 acre boys program and 150 acre girls program are located on separate campuses in the rolling uplands of central Virginia.
- The Discovery Schools use a group problem-solving process and the natural environment to promote a student's overall positive development.
|School Type||Alternative School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||State or regional independent school association|
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild/Moderate Learning Differences, Emotional/Behavioral Disorders, Other Health Impaired|
|Total Students||54 students|
|Student Body Type||All-boys|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 24%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||7 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||5 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$60,000|
|Admissions Director||Don Williams|
|Admissions Associate||Mike Forman|
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Henrico Grades: 9-12 | 268 students
12829 River Road
Henrico, VA 23238
(804)708-9504 49.1 9-12
- New Castle Grades: 6-11 | 12 students
700 Scenic Lane
New Castle, VA 24127
(540)864-6640 85 6-11
Focuses on changing lives for the better, not on making money. Caring and supportive staff.
- Posted by Teacher - Former Group Leader
This place should be investigated for child abuse, child labor and unsanitary living conditions. It is inhumane and counterproductive to treatment of the impairments that children are sent here for.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - X
Most private schools have endowment funds. We explain how these work and why schools are fortunate to have them in tough times.
COVID-19 has turned education at every level upside-down, inside-out. We offer some steps to guide your planning for academic year 2020-21.
Teachers and parents are concerned about the teaching that will take place post-pandemic. I have tried to cover their concerns in the following set of questions and answers.