The Island School
5.00 (3 reviews)
- At The Island School, every child matters. Our mission is to educate each of our children; we nourish their innate curiosity, inspire a lifelong enthusiasm for learning, and foster respect and appreciation for themselves and others.
- We provide a place where it is safe for children to risk, to learn, and to dream.
- Our wish for the children who come to work with us is that they take away a quiet confidence in themselves and what they can accomplish.
- A developmentally appropriate curriculum in all subject areas provides the most flexible framework for encouraging our students to develop lifelong skills as critical thinkers, self-motivated learners and independent decision makers.
- While building a solid academic foundation, we seek creative approaches to educating our young students and search for innovative responses to meet the varied needs of our students.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||State or regional independent school association|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-5|
|Total Students||88 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 27%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||12 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Joan Henderson|
- The Island School is an independent school for students in kindergarten through fifth grade. Our mission is to educate each of our children; we nourish their innate curiosity, inspire a lifelong enthusiasm for learning, and foster respect and appreciation for themselves and others.
- Spanish, art, music, dance and physical education are core parts of our educational program.
- A developmentally appropriate curriculum in all subject areas encourages our students to develop lifelong skills as critical thinkers, self-motivated learners and independent decision makers. While building a solid academic foundation, we seek creative approaches to educating our young students and search for innovative responses to meet the varied needs of our students.
- Each grade has a classroom teacher and an assistant to support learning, except in fifth grade, which has two team-teachers. Our faculty is comprised of seven classroom teachers, seven specialists, seven teaching assistants, and an administrative and support staff of five.
- At The Island School, students and families are welcomed and embraced as part of our diverse community. Thoughtful, interesting people are drawn to our school because they value the important role a caring community plays in the lives of children and families. At The Island School, every child matters.
- Our school is nestled among the trees on Bainbridge Island. The campus is designed for teaching children of this age, and includes spacious light-filled classrooms, an art studio, a library full of books, an indoor courtyard, a kitchen, a theater, a gym, and a playfield with surrounding woods. Our campus is a certified Backyard Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Students, parents and teachers are committed to reducing our environmental and carbon footprint. Together we have earned a Platinum certification (highest) from Washington Green Schools.
- The Island School students come from Bainbridge Island and the greater North Kitsap area. Nearly 25% of our students come from the Kitsap Peninsula.
- Over $2,500,000 has been awarded in financial aid to an average of 22% of our families over the course of our history.
- Breakfast Club and Extended Day provide affordable supervision of children beginning at 7:30 a.m. before school and until 6:00 p.m. after school.
- The Island School is the only elementary school on Bainbridge Island and in all of Kitsap County accredited by the Northwest Association of Independent Schools.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Bainbridge IslandGrades: PK-8 | 92 students
1310 Madison Avenue N
Bainbridge Island, WA 98110
- Bainbridge IslandGrades: NS-6 | 144 students
10994 Arrow Point Drive Ne
Bainbridge Island, WA 98110
- Bainbridge IslandGrades: K-8 | 37 students
6974 Island Center Road NE PO Box 10160
Bainbridge Island, WA 98110
- Port OrchardGrades: NS-8 | 116 students
151 Tremont St
Port Orchard, WA 98366
- BremertonGrades: K-9 | 183 students
1516 5th St
Bremerton, WA 98337
The Island School is a true gem with exceptional teachers and staff. Each student is treated as an individual, invested in, and taken care of - academically and socially/emotionally. The Island School is the elementary school I wish I went to and can't wait to send our little toddler there when his time comes!
- Posted by Parent - SMessinger
I am a current parent and also an alumni of The Island School. As a student I remember caring, attentive teachers in a welcoming environment where curiosity and fun while learning was the norm. Nearly 30 years later I see my own child blossoming in this same amazing environment. When I hear "Mom, I love school; it feels like my second home", it made me so grateful for this phenomenal little school.
- Posted by Parent - Lorraine Scott
The Island School is a remarkable private school. We have two children currently enrolled and a preschooler that can't wait for her turn. The teachers know and love our kids and challenge them in meaningful ways every day. Our kids are mad when they are sick and can't go to school! It is a magical place.
- Posted by Parent - colle
October 18, 2017
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
September 30, 2017
Scandals in private school are bound to raise questions for those of us thinking about sending our children to private school. Regardless of how sensational these scandals may appear, they are actually few and far between.
September 29, 2017
Parents have many reasons for deciding to take their children out of public school and enrolling them in private school. This circumstance is something which can happen at any stage of your child's education.