The Julia Brown School
- At The Julia Brown Montessori Schools, we work with nature, not against it, in helping your child achieve his or her goal.
- Our program accepts the endless energies, the creative impulses, and insatiable curiosities of the children and gradually directs their efforts into rewarding channels.
- Children have a strong natural desire to learn. This desire can best be nurtured by allowing the child to choose his or her own activities and to work at his or her own pace.
- No one can produce a better lesson schedule than the one produced by the child's own interests.
- When they are ready for each step in their development, their enthusiasm for this part of the program is obvious.
- As a complement to the Montessori program, the children are also introduced to a variety of special activities during the years they spend with us.
- In past years, for example, we have offered special programs in dance, gymnastics, music, or a foreign language as a means of enhancing our broad-based curriculum.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-3|
|Total Students||74 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 32%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||4 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||19:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- If you feel that your child should begin their formal education in a quiet, calm and busy atmosphere, using a method of education that took sixty years to perfect, we invite your child to join us. Call to schedule a tour today; we look forward to meeting you!
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Beltsville Grades: K-8 | 218 students
4230 Ammendale Rd
Beltsville, MD 20705
(301) 937-2933 5.8 K-8
My son attended from 2.5 - 3 years of age and participated in both the academic and day care portions. We would've stayed if we could. Ms. Mller is wonderfully patient, helpful, supportives, knowledgeable, and professional to orient families to what they would gain from being part of the JBS group. After visiting three places, I found JBS to be a great school. JBS fosters an independent learning environment where children can independently grow and develop their skills, while learning and gaining comfort in having a consistent structure they are part of. We found it equally helpful that the daycare portion of his day gave him the time to socialize with his classmates in their activities. If a parent is looking for primarily a social environment, JBS may not be the best fit for a child that ONLY attends the academic session. It is a great place for a child to gradually ease into a social setting while having opportunities to focus on just their own self. Overall, I'm impressed and happy with the skills my son came home with, the friends he made, and the teachers he loved. I appreciate the effort every teacher invests to learn all kids' names even if they're not their student.I wish that we lived closer to the school!!
- Posted by Parent - RLJ
Both of my kids attended JBMS in Laurel, and I couldn't be more satisfied with their experience. They learned so much while they were there. The teachers and assistants are so supportive and patient in caring for the kids. This school is a gem. I wish they had classes past third grade.
- Posted by Parent - cumbe
My son and daughter both attended the Julia Brown Montessori school in laurel and I can say they loved it! The teachers, assistants and administrator were very kind, caring and compassionate. My children enjoyed the beautiful lessons and developed a sense of pride in the their accomplishments. The classrooms were clean, organized and inviting for the children and you could tell the teachers invested a lot of time and making the classrooms warm and welcoming. If I had a question or issue to discuss with the teacher, the administrator would make sure that I was always contacted in a reasonable time. Everyday when I dropped my kids off, I knew they were going to be well taken care of in a safe learning environment. I was very impressed by the level of learning and excited to see my daughter excel in reading as well as my son in Math. This is a wonderful school environment and I am glad that our children had the opportunity to learn so much at such a young age. My children are now attending public school and their teachers are impressed with how much they know and how respectful they are to staff and class mates. I am very happy they attended this school!
- Posted by Parent - jonea
Whether you are just beginning the process of choosing a private school or several months into it, make sure that you keep these five 'must haves' front and center in your thinking.
Are charter schools private schools? What do vouchers have to do with private schools? Some answers here.
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.