The Kings Daughters School
5.00 (1 review)
The Kings Daughters School Photo #2 - Our students at the Center for Autism with the bug houses they helped build and decorate.
- The King’s Daughters’ School is a residential school for individuals ages 7 to late adulthood with developmental disabilities.
- KDS offers four comprehensive programs: the Total Lifestyles Program (TLP), the Center for Autism (CFA), the Young Adult Academy (YAA) and the Adult Lifestyles Program (ALP).
- While KDS is a primarily a residential school, there are a limited number of openings for day students each year.
- Students come to KDS from all over the United States and abroad.KDS is primarily made up of two campuses: our main campus and The Center for Autism campus.
- Both are located in Columbia, TN, which is approximately one hour south of Nashville.
- All students are placed in an academic program based on their ability level.
- Students participate in a regular 6 1/2 hour school day of basic skills plus physical education and vocational training.
- All programs are non-graded, but parents and teachers set goals through an Individualized Educational Plan (IEP) and an Individualized Program Plan (IPP) for each student at the beginning of every semester.
- Students are evaluated on their progress toward these goals every nine weeks.Education is the top priority at KDS, because it is the essential tool students use to create the lives they dream of and deserve.
- Since we are a residential school, learning takes place both inside and outside of the classroom; in fact, it's often cleverly disguised as fun! Students benefit from small peer groups, in which certified teachers use many methods of instruction to meet the needs of each student.
- In the residential homes, teacher/counselors focus on life and social skills.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|Grades Offered||Grades Inquire with school|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||most developmental delays|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||54 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 15%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||8 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(school shirt and khakis)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||residential/main campus: 5k-7k residential/Center for Autism: 7k-10k day student rates also available|
|Admissions Director||Shauna Bryant|
|Admissions Associate||Jesse Davis|
- The King's Daughters and Sons is an international and interdenominational group of Christians organized to serve "In His Name". In 1912, the group built and operated the first hospital in Maury County, Tennessee located in Columbia. It was the only hospital in the county until 1954 at which time the Maury County Hospital was completed. The mission of The King's Daughters' School is to serve the educational and training needs of children and adults with developmental disabilities. The school strives to provide a high-quality program of personal development in a wholesome residential atmosphere aimed at allowing each person to reach his or her fullest potential as an independent and productive citizen. Education is the top priority at KDS because it is the essential tool students use to create the lives they dream of and deserve. Since KDS is a residential facility, learning takes place both inside and outside the classroom; in fact, it's often cleverly disguised as fun. During classroom time, certified teachers use many methods of instruction to meet the needs of each individual student. And in the residential homes, teacher/counselors focus on life and social skills. The program is non-graded, but parents and teachers set goals through an Individualized Educational Plan and an Individualized Program Plan for each student each semester. Students are then evaluated on their progress toward these goals every nine weeks. KDS maintains an admissions committee that reviews referrals and applications, and accepts all students who are appropriate for the program, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Columbia Grades: PK-12 | 252 students
1201 Mapleash Ave
Columbia, TN 38401
(931)388-0556 1.7 PK-12
- Columbia Grades: NS-12 | 955 students
1101 W 7th St
Columbia, TN 38401
(931)388-5363 0.9 NS-12
- Franklin Grades: 5-12 | 198 students
818 Old Charlotte Pike East
Franklin, TN 37064
(615)599-9229 23.3 5-12
- Franklin Grades: NS-6
244 Noah Dr
Franklin, TN 37064
(615)794-0567 22.6 NS-6
Kings Daughter's has been an additional family to our family since July, 2012. My son attends there & if it were not for the love, caring & support from all staff, teachers, nurses, etc, we couldn't have made this trasnisiton. The campus is spotless, the staff are the kindest I have ever had the pleasure of. And the children are delightful. They greet me each time they see me with a huge smile & it just warms your heart. This school has been my saving grace & I have seen such a big difference in my son. There is hope!
- Posted by Parent - malti
Most private schools have endowment funds. We explain how these work and why schools are fortunate to have them in tough times.
COVID-19 has turned education at every level upside-down, inside-out. We offer some steps to guide your planning for academic year 2020-21.
Teachers and parents are concerned about the teaching that will take place post-pandemic. I have tried to cover their concerns in the following set of questions and answers.