The Lang School
Tel: (347) 572-6971
The Lang School Photo #3 - Math at Lang is taught by two master's level math specialists. Whether your child loves math or fears it, our math team will help them find an anchor in math learning that works for them, from K on up. We combine Singapore Math with Math Circle, moving from the tactile, to the pictorial, to the abstract.
The Lang School Photo #4 - Our teachers are more interested in helping students learn how to think critically about the world of ideas and the world around them than in covering a set curriculum of known facts. Universal Questions, Enduring Understandings, and Key Vocabulary for exploring topics are the DNA of our pedagogy.
The Lang School Photo #5 - A rigorously differentiated curriculum means your child will always be learning with an ability peer. Our Code of Honor emphasizes civility and self-reflection.
The Lang School Photo #6 - An equal and interdisciplinary emphasis on STEM and the humanities means students who thought of themselves as specializers in one to the exclusion of the other might be happily surprised on any given day.
- The Lang School offers a child-centered, empirically-validated, STEM- and STEAM-driven education for high potential, gifted, and twice-exceptional (2e) learners in grades K-12.
- At Lang, students thrive often for the first time learning at their level with ability and affinity peers in small classes of no more than 12 students.
- Our rigorous, standards-based academics evolve to challenge students as they grow and develop commitment and independence.
- Our Talent Development program inspires passions, creativity and a sense of purpose.
- Our integrated and 1:1 supports address academic challenges, self-regulation, and social-emotional learning.
- We are a progressive school that incubates tomorrow`s thought leaders and innovators.
The Lang School places among the top 20% of private schools in New York for:
- Category Attribute
- SAT Score Highest average SAT score
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||ADHD, Dyslexia, language-based learning differences, sensory integration challenges, anxiety, High Functioning Autism (if highly verbal)|
|Total Students||60 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||25 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||2:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average SAT score||1460|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$74,750|
|Tuition Notes||40% of students receive financial support.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Reid Kuioka|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||11 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Coding Club, Dungeons & Dragons, Girls Alliance, Homework Club, Math Club, SGA, Table Tennis Club, Trans and Non-Binary Student Alliance
Arts and Music Programs:
Choir, Modern Dance, Specialized 1:1 Music Classes
- The Lang School offers gifted and twice exceptional (2e) learners in grades K through 12 a STEM- and STEAM-driven education informed by the ethics, poetics, and universal questions of the humanities. Our specially trained gifted and special education teachers dually differentiate the content and delivery of our standards-based academics in small classes of no more than 12 students. Our pedagogy dovetails rigorous, accelerated academics and integrates research-based supports. As a result, we meet each student where they are in their trajectory of learning and are constantly pushing them through their "proximal zone of development" (PZD) across subjects. Equally core to our mission is that we exemplify for and teach students how to own their impact and empower them to speak up and stand up for equity and social justice. We pride ourselves on this innovative model to gifted education, and Lang is the first school of its kind in the world, embracing the full set of social-emotional and intellectual needs unique to gifted and 2e learners. Our capstone Talent Development Program nurtures a sense of purpose by identifying and deepening areas of interest and strength, transforming native promise into talent, and facilitating early specialization and the acquisition of professional-level skills and commitment.
All of our graduating students have been accepted into their first choice college and on average awarded merit-based scholarships of $197,450.
- Boston University
- CUNY Brooklyn College
- Connecticut College
- Fordham University
- Marymount Manhattan College
- New York University
- Northeastern University
- Pace University
- Pratt Institute
- Skidmore College
- SUNY Stony Brook University
- SUNY Binghamton University
- Temple University
- The New School: Parsons School of Design
- University of California: San Diego
- University of Massachusetts Amherst
- School of Visual Arts
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- New York Grades: K-12 | 655 students
260 W 78th St
New York, NY 10024
(212) 812-8521 5.6 K-12
- New York Grades: K-12 | 1317 students
108 E 89th St
New York, NY 10128
(212) 423-5200 6.1 K-12
Whether you are just beginning the process of choosing a private school or several months into it, make sure that you keep these five 'must haves' front and center in your thinking.
Are charter schools private schools? What do vouchers have to do with private schools? Some answers here.
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.