Winston Preparatory School NY
5.00 (3 reviews)
Winston Prep Connecticut welcomes you to visit their interim location, 25 France Street, Norwalk, CT, to hear about the new 10,000 square feet educational building, opening September 2013.
Each year, students participate in fileld day, where they compete in a variety of team building events.
Seniors may participate in a variety of outdoor education adventures, including learning how to sail in the Caribbean Sea or hiking in the Appalachian Mountains.
- Winston Preparatory School is a co-ed day school for 4th through 12th grade students with learning differences such as dyslexia, nonverbal learning disabilities, expressive or receptive language disorders and executive functioning problems.
- Our mission is to facilitate the independence of individuals with learning difficulties through assessment driven individualized education, research and outreach. Our unique educational program for middle and upper school students with learningdesigned to develop essential skills and challenge his or her strengths. This is our sixteenth year of our highly successful "Focus Program," in which each student receives a daily period of one-to-one instruction concentrating on his or her greatest area of need.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
New England Association of Schools and Colleges
New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 4-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Language-based Learning Differences, Dyslexia, Non-verbal learning disabilities, Executive Functioning|
|Total Students||235 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 30%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||70 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||3:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Michelle Bramlett Rolfe|
|Admissions Associate||Medry Rodriguez|
|Total Sports Offered||6 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Track and FieldBasketball, Cross Country,
Softball, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||30 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Anime, Art in the City, Chess club, Choir, Comics and Cartoons, Community service, Cooking, Dance Fitness, Digital Photography, Documentary filmmaking, Drawing and painting, Fencing, Film studies, Flag Football (HS), Gardening, GLOW (Gay Lesbian or Whatever), JAM Band, Knitting Club, Manga, Ping-Pong club, Puzzles Club, Sports in American Culture, Student government, Tai Chi Chuan, The Fashion Flip, Video Gaming, Weight training, Wrestling club, Yearbook, Yoga Anime, Chess club, Choir, Cooking, Dance Fitness, Fencing, Film studies, Gardening, JAM Band, Knitting Club, Manga, Ping-Pong club, Puzzles Club, Tai Chi Chuan, Video Gaming, Wrestling club, Yearbook, Yoga, Art in the City,
Comics and Cartoons,
Drawing and painting,
Flag Football (HS),
GLOW (Gay Lesbian or Whatever),
Sports in American Culture,
The Fashion Flip,
- Educational programs at WPS center on facilitating the independence of students with learning difficulties through assessment driven individualized education. To achieve this mission, Winston`s curriculum focuses on skill-based learning with an underlying emphasis on social-emotional growth. Small classes of 8-12 students help to create a comfortable learning environment and facilitate the individualization of course work. At the high school level, students with appropriate levels of skill mastery may participate in college courses. Ninety percent of graduates in the last five years have been accepted to college.In addition to the New York City location, Winston Prep also has campuses in Norwalk, CT and Whippany, NJ.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
New YorkGrades: KG-12 | 396 students
301 E 29th St
New York, NY 10016
New YorkGrades: K-12 | 306 students
587 Main St
New York, NY 10044
New YorkGrades: K-12 | 162 students
309 East 45th Street
New York, NY 10017
BrooklynGrades: K-12 | 363 students
20 Bergen Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201
New YorkGrades: K-8 | 160 students
211 West 61st Street
New York, NY 10023
I am interested in applying both my children in this school. Next year one child will be in 9 and the other in 5 grade. My email is email@example.com
- Posted by Parent - Latoia Hunte
I graduated from Winston and it was great for me. I learned to advocate for myself and what I needed for learning. The teachers were very supportive. I feel worried though because a friend of mine still at school told me that there are kids smoking weed in the gym and that is not good.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Graduate
The HeadMaster, Deans, Teachers, and Support Staff are beyond amazing. My Child has been here 3 Years, and this School, and School Program has made 1000% difference in her life... I highly recommend this school for any child that has Learning Differences. As a Parent, You are as Important as well. There is no other school like it in New York City...
- Posted by Parent - beaut
July 25, 2017
A table comparison of the three popular early childhood education approaches.
July 25, 2017
How do I know how this school compares with the others I am considering? Has anybody ranked private schools?
July 20, 2017