Winston Preparatory School NY
5.00 (5 reviews)
Each year, students participate in fileld day, where they compete in a variety of team building events.
Seniors may participate in a variety of outdoor education adventures, including learning how to sail in the Caribbean Sea or hiking in the Appalachian Mountains.
- Winston Preparatory School is a co-ed day school for 4th through 12th grade students with learning differences such as dyslexia, nonverbal learning disabilities, expressive or receptive language disorders and executive functioning problems.
- Our mission is to facilitate the independence of individuals with learning difficulties through assessment driven individualized education, research and outreach. Our unique educational program for middle and upper school students with learningdesigned to develop essential skills and challenge his or her strengths. This is our sixteenth year of our highly successful "Focus Program," in which each student receives a daily period of one-to-one instruction concentrating on his or her greatest area of need.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
New England Association of Schools and Colleges
New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 4-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Language-based Learning Differences, Dyslexia, Non-verbal learning disabilities, Executive Functioning|
|Total Students||235 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||70 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||3:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Elise Brody|
|Admissions Associate||Medry Rodriguez|
|Total Sports Offered||6 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Track and FieldBasketball, Cross Country,|
Softball, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||28 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Art After Hours, At the movies- Starring You!, Beading and Jewelry Design, Body Work, Community service, Cooking, Film studies, Fun Fitness, Fundamentals of Modern Dance, Gardening, Girls Who Code, GLOW (Gay Lesbian or Whatever), Improvisational Acting for All, Poker, Tinker Talent, Video Gaming, Word Play, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Acting for All, Choir, Digital Photography, JAM Band
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Fencing, Flag Football (HS), Ping-Pong club, Weight training, Wrestling club, Yoga
- Educational programs at WPS center on facilitating the independence of students with learning difficulties through assessment driven individualized education. To achieve this mission, Winston`s curriculum focuses on skill-based learning with an underlying emphasis on social-emotional growth. Small classes of 8-12 students help to create a comfortable learning environment and facilitate the individualization of course work. At the high school level, students with appropriate levels of skill mastery may participate in college courses. Ninety percent of graduates in the last five years have been accepted to college.In addition to the New York City location, Winston Prep also has campuses in Norwalk, CT and Whippany, NJ.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- New YorkGrades: K-12 | 396 students
301 E 29th St
New York, NY 10016
- New YorkGrades: K-12 | 162 students
309 East 45th Street
New York, NY 10017
- New YorkGrades: K-12 | 306 students
587 Main St
New York, NY 10044
- BrooklynGrades: K-12 | 363 students
20 Bergen Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201
- New YorkGrades: K-8 | 160 students
211 West 61st Street
New York, NY 10023
My son is now completing his first 4 weeks at Winston Preparatory School's July Focus program. The brochures and websites say that the program is individualized. I can't think of adverb that expresses just how true this is. Each teacher in each academic class thoroughly absorbed and understood my son's formal assessments, informal comments and anecdotes from school records and application materials. The teachers combined that information with his/her own observations of my son, and developed 3 goals for each class that were laser-targeted to his individual needs. The classes were carried out with directness, honesty, and appropriate grade level rigor by professional teachers who expressed and elicited enthusiasm for the subjects. Thus, the past 4 weeks were probably the most productive and efficient school weeks of his academic career. I also cannot think of an adjective that expresses the superlatively happy and relieved emotion I feel upon knowing my son was really seen, understood, and taught for the first time in all his years. All I can do is cry and say thank you.
- Posted by Parent - Barbara
This school has changed my son's life, and by extension--our family's too. My son has become a more confident and successful learner, a motivated self-advocate, more independent, and he has broadened his social skills and community because of Winston Prep. It is an absolute gem of a school.The academics, educational/developmental support, school philosophy, extracurriculars, social environment, and the palpable feeling of a "Winston Family" are all, exceptional, and very rare indeed. Hands down, deserves the highest recommendation I can bestow upoon a school in the NYC area.
- Posted by Parent - JGF
I am interested in applying both my children in this school. Next year one child will be in 9 and the other in 5 grade. My email is email@example.com
- Posted by Parent - Latoia Hunte
I graduated from Winston and it was great for me. I learned to advocate for myself and what I needed for learning. The teachers were very supportive. I feel worried though because a friend of mine still at school told me that there are kids smoking weed in the gym and that is not good.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Graduate
The HeadMaster, Deans, Teachers, and Support Staff are beyond amazing. My Child has been here 3 Years, and this School, and School Program has made 1000% difference in her life... I highly recommend this school for any child that has Learning Differences. As a Parent, You are as Important as well. There is no other school like it in New York City...
- Posted by Parent - beaut
March 01, 2018
Shootings, terrorist attacks, tornadoes, floods, earthquakes, fire, and more are sadly commonplace happenings in the 21st-century. How prepared for the unthinkable is your school?
February 21, 2018
Raising children involves constant attention to their development and progress. Identifying learning disabilities must be part of your plan.
February 19, 2018
Think of the school search process as a series of checkpoints, each of which has a due date. We show you when to do the various items in the search process.