The Child School/Legacy High school
5.00 (3 reviews)
- The Child School/Legacy High School is an academically rigorous, yet supportive community addressing the needs of a diverse population of special children, many of whom have not found success in other schools.
- Our children learn differently because of disorders in thinking, listening, speaking, reading, spelling, touch, or perception, etc.
- The School fulfills a vital function in the New York City Public School System, serving the needs of children with learning, social/emotional and developmental disabilities throughout the five boroughs.
- It is chartered by the Board of Regents of the State of New York to accept youngsters whose needs cannot be satisfied within the public education system.
- Under this authorization, The Child School is classified as an approved non-public day school, whose students may qualify for 100 percent tuition payment by New York State.
The Child School/Legacy High school places among the top 20% of private schools in New York for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Type||Special Education School|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Learning Disabilities Speech Language Autism Emotional and Other Health Impaired|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||306 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 28%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||30 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||10:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Soccer, Softball, Track and FieldBasketball, Soccer,|
Softball, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||15 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
College Now, National Honor Society, New York Cares, SAT Prep, School Newspaper, Student Council, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Band, Chorus, Dance, Musical Theater/Drama
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Bicycling, Ice Skating, Skiing, Swimming
- The Child School/Legacy High School has a campus of four buildings located on Roosevelt Island and accessible by car, tram or the F Train. Our campus includes:
- Science Lab Equipped to meet Regents Requirements
- Computer Labs in MS and HS
- Smart Boards in all Classrooms
- Stage with Professional Lighting and Sound
- 4840 Square - Foot Gymnasium with a Weight Room
- Art Studio
- Music Studio
- Fully Equipped Teaching Kitchen
- Multi-Purpose Rooms for Lunch and Meetings in Elementary, Middle, and High School
- Full Time Nurse
- Landscaped Organic Garden with a Waterfall and Fish Pond
- Fully Air-Conditioned Buildings
- Access to Roosevelt Island Playing Fields
- Individual Suites for all Related Services - OT, PT, Speech, and Counseling
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- New York Grades: K-12 | 398 students
301 E 29th St
New York, NY 10016
(212)722-0610 2.1 K-12
- New York Grades: K-12 | 530 students
219 Stanton Street
New York, NY 10002
(212)995-1987 3.5 K-12
I will like for my 2 kids to come to this school
- Posted by Parent - Amanda Davis
My child has been at the Child School for 3 years and we absolutely love it. He is a bright, talented student who did not do well in public school because the environment was overwhelming and his learning disabilities were not accommodated. He now reads above grade level and enjoys learning. The school is very nurturing and the arts/sports programs are superb. Our student body is diverse - I have no idea where this website got "12% students of color," as TCS is a demographic microcosm of New York City.
- Posted by Parent - holom
l would like to have an application for my son alex g he is attending the rebecca school right now. l woul like to know more information about the school for september coming
- Posted by Parent - maya0
Nearby Homes for Sale
You have just heard about a new private school opening soon in your area. Should you consider sending your child there? A look at the pros and cons of such a decision.
If you know the answers to all these questions, you probably teach or work in a private school. Be that as it may, these questions contain links with the answers.
As you evaluate schools, take time to explore fully what the schools which you are looking at teach.