The Cathedral School
5.00 (1 review)
Tel: (212) 249-2840
- Founded in 1949, The Cathedral School is a Preschool and co-educational Day School through the eighth grade that offers a rigorous academic education in an intimate and supportive learning environment.
- With a small student-teacher ratio, an international student body and placement of graduates in the city`s best high schools, The Cathedral School continues its legacy of educating children in The Classics.
- Rooted in the principles of Hellenism, the curriculum integrates the most up to date educational methods while adhering to the ancient Greek tradition of paideia which views education as character formation, responsibility and the pursuit of excellence.
- In short, we offer A Classical Education for the Modern World.
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||151 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||22 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$17,000|
|Tuition Notes||Nursery and Pre-Kindergarten - Half Day: $12,000 Full Day: $15,000 K - 8 tuition - $16,000|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$3,000|
|Admissions Director||Eleisa coster|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||14 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Greek Language and Culture, Music, Robotics, Supervised Homework, Test Prep|
Club or Organization:
Arts and Music Programs:
Acting, Art, Guitar
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Basketball Stars of New York, Gymnastics, Karate, Running Club, Super Soccer Stars
- The Cathedral School's curriculum includes Preschool (Nursery and Prekindergarten), Lower school (grades K-4) and The Accelerated Middle School (grades 5 - 8). Our Preschool Program offers a nurturing and family like environment to our youngest learners. Teachers encourage curiosity and creativity through hands-on inquiry, play, and rich language experiences. In Kindergarten social-emotional and academic growth builds upon learned social and academic skills to begin formal instruction in the subject areas such as reading, writing, mathematics, social studies, science, and forgein language.
- The Lower School (grades K-5) curriculum is designed to strengthen literacy, cultivate math skills, establish effective work habits, and encourage students` citizenship by enhancing their understanding of the world around them. Reading, writing, mathematics, social studies, and science are cornerstone to the curriculum. The core curriculum, in addition to specialized subject areas such as art, language, music, mythology, and technology provide students with a balanced foundation for future academic success.
- Our Accelerated Middle School (grades 5-8) offers three strands of disciplines, Humanities (English and Social Studies), Classics and STEM. These courses are block scheduled to allow teachers to work together on interdisciplinary projects. Students in 7th and 8th grade are introduced to Latin and Ancient Greek, enhancing their understanding and function of language. All students are encouraged to graduate with three earned high school credits in subject areas such as math, foreign language, and science. Through small class sizes and individual attention, our middle school students are given every opportunity to learn and explore.
- In addition to the standard core classes of Math, English, History, Social Studies and Science, The Cathedral School offers Physical Education, Art and Music in its daily curriculum. Movement and Exercise and Music Appreciation are taught to Preschool students. The After-School Center, offers a variety of activities including sports, karate, music, art, creative writing, creative cooking, hands-on science, chess, drama, and Greek language and culture.
- The entire curriculum, nursery through grade eight, is articulated through standards that define the important knowledge, skills and understandings that we believe all students must acquire in order to become mindful, well-educated citizens. Our skilled and dedicated teachers are committed to helping all children reach their own individual best in every subject area.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- New York Grades: K-9 | 407 students
132 E 78th St
New York, NY 10075
(212) 288-6710 0.2 K-9
- New York Grades: K-9 | 372 students
113 E 73rd St
New York, NY 10021
(212) 535-8787 0.3 K-9
- New York Grades: NS-5 | 251 students
416 E 80th St
New York, NY 10075
(212) 879-2296 0.3 NS-5
- New York Grades: K-12 | 655 students
260 W 78th St
New York, NY 10024
(212) 812-8521 1.5 K-12
A wonderful little gem on the UES. Wonderfully involved and caring teachers. Great Student body. Involved and kind parents. Academics are spot on. My son was tested for G&T and scored in 99%. We could not be happier with his education!
- Posted by Parent - tetta
You will encounter COOP, HSPT and TACHS if you are applying to some Roman Catholic high schools.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.