The Browning School
- Mission Statement: Founded in 1888 as a college preparatory school for boys, The Browning School continues its commitment to the goals of John A. Browning: the pursuit of academic excellence and a lifelong love of learning, the belief in the dignity of the individual, the development of personal integrity and responsibility to the broader community.
- The Browning boy develops amid these values. The Browning alumnus is a good citizen, sensitive to the needs of others, respectful of divergent yet informed opinions.
- He is, in the best sense of the word, a gentleman.
- Diversity Statement: The Browning School strives to create a diverse community in which all members are safe, respected and valued.
- We believe that in actively promoting a diverse learning environment, we are fostering intellectual, social and emotional growth for all.
- Recognizing and pursuing diversity, however, are not enough; we seek to transcend mere tolerance of differences and aspire to a celebration of the varied appearances, abilities, perspectives and values that characterize our community.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)
International Boys' Schools Coalition
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Total Students||405 students|
|Student Body Type||All-boys|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 28%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||60 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Nov. 24 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$48,615|
|Admissions Director||Janetta Lien|
|Total Sports Offered||11 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Fencing, Golf, Ice Hockey, Soccer, Squash, Tennis, Track and Field, Winter TrackBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Fencing,
Golf, Ice Hockey,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||22 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Amnesty International, Certamen, Chess, Computer, Debate, Drama, Environmental, Gay/Straight Alliance (GSA), Gender Studies and Feminism, Habitat for Humanity, Investment, Latin, Math, Mock Trial, Model UN, Multicultural, Robotics, Rube-Goldberg, Think Tank
Arts and Music Programs:
Art, Ceramics, Photography
- The Browning School is a place of harmony: between faculty and boys, older and younger students, tradition and innovation, freedom and responsibility, and collaboration and independence. At The Browning School, our focus is on boys: who they are, how they learn, and what they can become. Under the care of faculty and staff who understand the complexity of boyhood, our students work, take risks and explore in a community that both challenges and guides them. Browning is a school where boys realize their fullest potential as scholars, artists, athletes, and friends. Our course of study harmonizes the best of tradition and innovation, as imaginative teaching and appropriate technology promote deep engagement with a liberal arts curriculum. Ours is a school where boys will study Latin in the morning and learn robotics after lunch, where speaking and writing are valued alongside coding and computation, and where the classroom is complemented by the vast resources in and around New York City. At Browning, boys not only master the knowledge and skills of academic disciplines, but also come to understand and express themselves as thinkers, writers, makers, and doers; indeed, they become learners in the broadest and best sense. Our boys also grow amidst a value system that gives each community member an opportunity to express himself in a distinctive way, while also encouraging a sense of broader duty to others. In the classroom, on the playing field, on stage, or in the studio, boys are encouraged to discover and create unique ways of fulfilling their potential; as friends, neighbors, and community members, they take on identities of kindness, honesty, curiosity, and courage. At Browning, individual expression emerges in the context of social and ethical purpose, so that boys develop not only into good men, but as global citizens well-prepared to lead lives of significance.
- - John M. Botti, Head of School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- New York Grades: K-12 | 1329 students
108 E 89th St
New York, NY 10128
(212)423-5450 1.4 K-12
- New York Grades: PK-12 | 1240 students
5 W 93rd St
New York, NY 10025
(212)749-6200 1.7 PK-12
- New York Grades: K-12 | 644 students
260 W 78th St
New York, NY 10024
(212)812-8521 1.4 K-12
- New York Grades: K-12 | 587 students
210 E 77th Street
New York, NY 10075
(212)861-0404 0.8 K-12
- New York Grades: K-9 | 407 students
132 E 78th St
New York, NY 10075
(212)288-6710 0.9 K-9
Browning School provides a wonderfully supportive community, especially for boys with emotional and/or behavioral issues. Our son faced severe challenges coping with some traumatic family events, and the school could not have been more understanding and accommodative - our prior school was not nearly as tolerant. It provides a great environment that allowed our son to stay in a main stream educational environment.
- Posted by Parent - eafos