The Browning School
- The Browning School fosters growth of courageous and compassionate men of intellect and integrity who aspire to contribute meaningfully to our world.
- The Browning gentleman develops amid a community that upholds these values-
- HONESTY: We speak the truth, act with integrity and take responsibility for our actions.
- DIGNITY: We honor and celebrate the dignity of all people and support the power of a diverse, inclusive and welcoming community.
- CURIOSITY: We encourage and celebrate open-minded inquiry about our world and the perspectives of those around us.
- PURPOSE: We believe that education encourages exploration and discovery in pursuit of meaning and enduring fulfillment.
- Diversity Statement: The Browning School strives to create a diverse community in which all members are safe, respected and valued.
- We believe that in actively promoting a diverse learning environment, we are fostering intellectual, social and emotional growth for all.
- Recognizing and pursuing diversity, however, are not enough; we seek to transcend mere tolerance of differences and aspire to a celebration of the varied appearances, abilities, perspectives and values that characterize our community.
The Browning School places among the top 20% of private schools in New York for:
- Category Attribute
- Affordability Least expensive tuition
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Student Body Largest student body
- Extracurriculars Most extracurriculars offered
- School History Oldest founding date
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)
International Boys' Schools Coalition
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Total Students||390 students|
|Student Body Type||All-boys|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 28%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||60 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 2 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$52,320|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Kelly West|
|Admissions Associate||Kristen Rodgers|
|Total Sports Offered||10 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Ice Hockey, Soccer, Squash, Tennis, Track and Field, Winter TrackBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Golf,
Ice Hockey, Soccer,
Track and Field, Winter Track,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||22 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Amnesty International, Certamen, Chess, Computer, Debate, Drama, Environmental, Gay/Straight Alliance (GSA), Gender Studies and Feminism, Habitat for Humanity, Investment, Latin, Math, Mock Trial, Model UN, Multicultural, Robotics, Rube-Goldberg, Think Tank
Arts and Music Programs:
Art, Ceramics, Photography
- The Browning School is a place of harmony: between faculty and boys, older and younger students, tradition and innovation, freedom and responsibility, and collaboration and independence. At The Browning School, our focus is on boys: who they are, how they learn, and what they can become. Under the care of faculty and staff who understand the complexity of boyhood, our students work, take risks and explore in a community that both challenges and guides them. Browning is a school where boys realize their fullest potential as scholars, artists, athletes, and friends. Our course of study harmonizes the best of tradition and innovation, as imaginative teaching and appropriate technology promote deep engagement with a liberal arts curriculum. Ours is a school where boys will study Latin in the morning and learn robotics after lunch, where speaking and writing are valued alongside coding and computation, and where the classroom is complemented by the vast resources in and around New York City. At Browning, boys not only master the knowledge and skills of academic disciplines, but also come to understand and express themselves as thinkers, writers, makers, and doers; indeed, they become learners in the broadest and best sense. Our boys also grow amidst a value system that gives each community member an opportunity to express himself in a distinctive way, while also encouraging a sense of broader duty to others. In the classroom, on the playing field, on stage, or in the studio, boys are encouraged to discover and create unique ways of fulfilling their potential; as friends, neighbors, and community members, they take on identities of kindness, honesty, curiosity, and courage. At Browning, individual expression emerges in the context of social and ethical purpose, so that boys develop not only into good men, but as global citizens well-prepared to lead lives of significance.
- - John M. Botti, Head of School
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- New York Grades: K-12 | 1329 students
108 E 89th St
New York, NY 10128
(212)423-5450 1.4 K-12
- New York Grades: K-12 | 644 students
260 W 78th St
New York, NY 10024
(212)812-8521 1.4 K-12
- New York Grades: K-9 | 412 students
132 E 78th St
New York, NY 10075
(212)288-6710 0.9 K-9
Browning School provides a wonderfully supportive community, especially for boys with emotional and/or behavioral issues. Our son faced severe challenges coping with some traumatic family events, and the school could not have been more understanding and accommodative - our prior school was not nearly as tolerant. It provides a great environment that allowed our son to stay in a main stream educational environment.
- Posted by Parent - eafos