City and Country School, for children ages 2-13, was founded in 1914 by the pioneering educator, Caroline Pratt, during the dynamic period of progressive education.
Believing that education is fundamentally a social process, we strive to create a vital school community that supports each child's innate passion for learning while also expanding his or her understanding of communities and cultures that exist beyond school and home.
The teacher's place is alongside the child, posing questions that elicit imaginative thinking, problem-solving, and decision-making in pursuit of a deeper perspective.
In the partnership of learning among children and teachers, community is lived through purposeful experiences that foster responsibility, cooperation, active participation, care, and respect--qualities necessary to the life of a democratic society.
Quick Stats (2023)
- Top Ranked NY School
- Grades: Nursery/Preschool-8
- Enrollment: 380 students
- Average class size: 16 students
- Application Deadline: Dec. 1 / rolling
- Source: Verified school update
City and Country School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in New York for:
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 40%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Dec. 1 / rolling
Please see website: cityandcountry.org
% on Financial Aid
Total Sports Offered
- City and Country School, for children ages 2-8th grade, is an historically significant progressive school founded in 1914 by pioneer educator Caroline Pratt. Lower School classrooms are equipped with ample space and an abundant supply of carefully chosen materials including paint, sand, clay, wood, water, and Pratt`s creation: wooden unit blocks, now used the world over. These materials, along with teachers who expertly guide their use, inspire creativity, cooperation, and independence. Math, reading, and writing are taught effectively in systematic and contextual ways. In 3rd 8th grades, C&C's program emphasizes depth of learning and research skills as children engage in historical studies of our diverse world. Specials classes in Art, Technology, Library, Music, Rhythms, Science, Woodshop, Orchestra, and Spanish enable children to connect their scientific and artistic experiences with history, social justice, and culture. A hallmark is the Jobs Program: each grade has a job for the entire School community (post office, printing press, or school store, for example). Through their jobs, children solidify leadership, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills in a powerful and practical context, as well as develop a deep sense of responsibility and resourcefulness. Graduates are confident, creative thinkers with a true excitement for learning and the ability to collaborate and problem solve in any situation. Students are accepted to a wide range of high schools, and an extremely high percent attend their school of choice.
Source: Verified school update
Frequently Asked Questions
What sports does City and Country School offer?
City and Country School offers 5 interscholastic sports: Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer, Ultimate Frisbee and Volleyball.
What is City and Country School's ranking?
City and Country School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in New York for: Largest student body and Oldest founding date.
When is the application deadline for City and Country School?
The application deadline for City and Country School is Dec. 1 / rolling (applications are due on Dec. 1 but additional applications are reviewed year-round as space permits ).
Endorse City and Country School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Nearby Homes for Sale
Montessori Schools: An Overview
Are you curious about an educational approach that nurtures independent, creative, and lifelong learners? Look no further! We invite you to dive into the fascinating world of Montessori education and unlock its incredible potential for your children.
Securing Your School
With the rise of school shootings and other violent incidents, it is essential to have a comprehensive plan in place to protect everyone on your school campus.
Overview of State Voucher Programs in the United States
More than twelve states and the District of Columbia have education voucher programs. We describe the various programs and offer suggestions on how to use them so your child can attend private school.