The Laurel Hill School
- The Laurel Hill School is a vibrant learning community dedicated both to excellence in education and to improving the quality of individual student life.
- With helping hands, Laurel Hill encourages students to initiate journeys culminating in the establishment of individuality.
The Laurel Hill School places among the top 20% of private schools in New York for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Student Body Largest student body
- Sports offered Most sports offered
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||Please contact our main office for specific tuition rates.|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||369 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 28%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||35 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||11:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Chino Pants, Blazers, Shirts, Jumpers)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Please contact our main office for specific tuition rates.|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Robert H. Stark|
|Admissions Associate||Stephanie Alvarado|
|Total Sports Offered||13 sports|
|Sports||Archery, Baseball, Basketball, Dance, Flag Football, Football, Golf, Gymnastics, Indoor Soccer, Rock Climbing, Soccer, Tennis, VolleyballArchery, Baseball,|
Flag Football, Football,
Indoor Soccer, Rock Climbing,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||13 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Chess, Foreign Language club, Intramurals, Lego Challenge, Long Island Science & Engineering, Math Olympiads, Science Quest, Soccer, Suzuki
Arts and Music Programs:
Broadway Babies, Community Theater, Drama, Micro Society
- The achievement of top academic performance is certainly a standard for each student, but learning how to achieve shares equal importance. We invite critical thought, welcome creative leaps, and encourage passion in learning and doing.
- Every grade employs a small-class size model to enable close student and teacher interaction, promote individualized studies, and to encourage independent learning. An educational assistant is assigned to each class.
- Students organize to help our local, national, and world communities. Boys and girls work with "outreach" organizations to relieve some of the most pressing social needs.
- Themes are school-wide curriculum enrichment projects that allow the entire student body to study together as a community. Some previous themes include Black History, Poetry, The Election, Classical Literature and Earth Day.
- Students are encouraged to act in accord with their values and to always consider the best interests of others in their decision making. Caring, kindness, respect, responsibility, honesty and trustworthiness are central character building virtues emphasized throughout.
- Our Preschool Center is specially designed for infants, toddlers and preschoolers from 6 weeks old to 5 years old.
- Preschoolers, our 3-5 year old children, live in a magical time and space. The Preschool is a wonderland of opportunity to explore, discover and encounter the world. The program includes literature, reading readiness, math readiness, music movement, science discoveries, social studies explorations, physical education, computers, art, and playtime fun!
- Toddlers from 2-3 enjoy a fun-filled romp with everything our preschoolers do but tailored to their development. Language and social and motor skills receive special emphasis, as well as, careful attendance to emerging interests and voracious curiosity needs. All done under the guidance of warm, sensitive and genuinely caring teachers.
- Infants are our babies from 6 weeks old to under 2 years. And yes, they too have a scheduled day that includes music, movement, language, and activities for cognitive development to grow on. Personal schedules and routines are created under parental guidance. Food, sleep, diaper changing and much more are individualized. Daily reports are sent home. A baby's needs for gentleness, love, comfort, trust, and quality relationship with caregivers remain paramount concerns throughout each and every day!
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Centerport Grades: PK-6 | 184 students
105 Prospect Rd
Centerport, NY 11721
(631)754-4109 14.1 PK-6
- Huntington Station Grades: PK-9 | 212 students
165 Pidgeon Hill Rd Ste 1
Huntington Station, NY 11746
(631)423-3557 17.1 PK-9
- Bay Shore Grades: PK-6 | 187 students
211 Bay Shore Rd
Bay Shore, NY 11706
(631)665-5241 16.8 PK-6
Everyday at Laurel Hill is a good day. Every morning at the door, teachers stand and warmly welcome each and every student as they pass through the doors. The teachers and academics supplied are superb. We first came to Laurel Hill just for its use of pre-school for our daughter and wound up staying beyond just that year and will continue to now send our second daughter there as well. We couldn't be happier with what this school has gifted our children with education wise as well as fundamentally.
- Posted by Parent - Parent EGW
"A truly great mentor is hard to find, difficult to part with, and impossible to forget." Thank you for giving so much of yourselves to help shape our children and their future.
- Posted by Parent - MR
I have three children who have been attending The Laurel Hill School since pre-school. They receive an extremely well rounded education in a very intimate classroom setting. Because of the small class sizes, the teachers are able to cater to each student's needs as they see fit. The children are exposed to a very diverse curriculum and I have found the results to be fantastic. My three absolutely love going to school there. Highly recommended!
- Posted by Parent - Chris D.
Thank you to all the wonderful teachers and staff that make The Laurel Hill School special. Thank you for always caring for and looking after our children, Noah and Asa, as if they were your own. Bless all of you!
- Posted by Parent - Lavery-Mennuti
Laurel Hill offers a world-class education. The teachers are fantastic and the small class size allows each student to have all their needs met. We love the diversity of the students and the strong emphasis on character building and public speaking. Laurel Hills students become life-long learners with critical thinking skills and a global perspective.
- Posted by Parent - Jen
Not many places would I have a peace of mind kissing my son and walking out the door every morning. The Laurel Hill family, especially Mrs. Karchmar. I know he is going to have a fun day, be safe, and learn. He has learned so much this year and we are grateful. Thank you!
- Posted by Parent - CJ
The experience at Laurel Hill has been nothing short of the best. Thank you Laurel Hill teachers for your unwavering dedication and commitment to teaching our children on both an academic and social-emotional level. We are so incredibly grateful.
- Posted by Parent - Alexandra Lennon
Amazing school. Loving teachers and staff. Administration is caring and very involved with the children. My boys have always been very well taken care of. They love the school and have learned so much.
- Posted by Parent - Cassandra Hammond
The newest programs at LHS are so wonderful. The Outdoor Classroom is an amazing addition allowing the children hands-on exploration. The Mindfulness curriculum has shifted the entire school toward a deeper and focused engagement. The new STEM and Architecture programs are exciting and challenging. All of these programs go beyond the curriculum page encouraging and reinforcing not only critical thinking, but most importantly, a love of learning.
- Posted by Parent - Catie
The Laurel Hill School has opened its doors and arms to my son and my family. It is a family run school and immediately I felt like part of it! My son is in kindergarten and has already surpassed my expectations for his Kindergarten year, its only November! He comes home talking about what new words he learned in Spanish class and is excited to share the fun things he is doing in Lego Robotics! There are so many opportunities available for the children at this school. My child wakes up excited to go to school and thats a win in itself. It is definitely a step above the rest and the greatest investment we can ever make is in our child's education!
- Posted by Parent - Kindergarten Parent
I brought my oldest son to Laurel Hill for pre-school and he now attends Laurel Hill as a second grader. My middle son just started kindergarten and my youngest is in their 3 year old program. I can not imagine a better school or child care program for my children. Laurel Hill provides my children with an education which they could not receive else where. The administration and instructional staff are extremely gifted at tailoring the educational environment to the needs of the students.
- Posted by Parent - K.M
The Laurel Hill School is so much more than a school and you all are so much more than teachers and staff...Laurel Hill is a home away from home and you all are family. You wrap your arms around our babies, big and small, and you nurture them, keep them safe, feed their minds and their souls, respect them, listen to them, support them, guide them, value them, inspire them, laugh with them, comfort them, and love them, every day and year after year. Your dedication is unending and the depth of our gratitude is immeasurable. There will always be a special place in our hearts for our Laurel Hill family.
- Posted by Parent - N. Brett
We are very grateful to all the teachers at The Laurel Hill School, where our children flourish and develop every day. We are particularly grateful to our 2-year-old's teacher, Mrs. Reese, who has opened her arms to our little rascal/angel from the very first day. In addition, Mrs. Reese's assistants are a continued source of support. We`d also like to specifically thank Mrs. Theisen and Mrs. S, who have taught our daughter pre-kindergartener amazing skills.
- Posted by Parent - AM
Laurel Hill was the most amazing decision I have made for my children. Every teacher is warm and kind. They are both so happy to go to school. I love to see the smiles on their face when I drop them off. The academics are stellar. Every child is catered to their needs.
- Posted by Parent - Courtney
Creative and nurturing school with solid academics geared to a child's specific level of ability to ensure the right mix of being challenged vs instilling confidence. Foreign Language, poetry / literature and creative writing are equally mixed with hands on science and math labs and projects. This school still has many field trips to reinforce classroom learning in all areas including art and music . Parents can still celebrate birthdays here with home made treats while still keeping those with allergies safe. Second graders learn script and the art of beautiful handwriting is taken seriously. Plays , poetry readings and chorus are part of the curriculum thereby ensuring the participation of all. A well rounded staff and administration strive for excellence in all they do . Everyone knows your name here and that's no small thing.
- Posted by Parent - Christine
My 3 year old started mid-year and he was very intimidated at first in a classroom setting. Mrs. Maggipinto and Mrs. Loeber have been such a positive force as he`s grown more in the last 4 months that I can hardly believe it`s the same boy. The class is full of happy girls and boys that radiates love and happiness. We are so lucky to be a part of the Laurel Hill family. What an amazing job all of the staff do loving our girls and boys when we aren`t there to love them ourselves! Thank you for all you do."
- Posted by Parent - Jaime James
Laurel Hill School has been, and continues to be, a great fit for our family. The caring teachers and administration help all of the students learn how to achieve their own highest academic performance. The school produces well rounded students with critical thinking, writing, mathematics, foreign language and creative arts as part of every grade's curriculum. Every grade employs a small-class size, close student/teacher interaction, individualized studies and independent learning. There are opportunities such as micro-society, the mentor program and teaching to the student's academic level which can not be found elsewhere. All of this in a neighborhood school with an excellent learning environment free from bullying.
- Posted by Parent - k_bfo