5.00 (6 reviews)
- The Laurel Hill School is a vibrant learning community dedicated both to excellence in education and to improving the quality of individual student life.
- With helping hands, Laurel Hill encourages students to initiate journeys culminating in the establishment of individuality.
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Total Students||403 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 30%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||28 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||14:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(Casual and dress uniforms K-8)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Total Sports Offered||3 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, SoccerBaseball, Basketball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||18 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Broadway Babies, Chess, Chinese, Community Theater, Dalcroze Music, Debate, Drama, Foreign Language club, Intramurals, Lego Challenge, Long Island Science & Engineering, Math Olympiads, Micro Society, Mock Trial, NASA Quest, Science Quest, Soccer, Suzuki Chess, Chinese, Dalcroze Music, Debate, Drama, Intramurals, Lego Challenge, Math Olympiads, Micro Society, Mock Trial, NASA Quest, Science Quest, Soccer, Suzuki, Broadway Babies,
Foreign Language club,
Long Island Science & Engineering,
- The achievement of top academic performance is certainly a standard for each student, but learning how to achieve shares equal importance. We invite critical thought, welcome creative leaps, and encourage passion in learning and doing.
- Every grade employs a small-class size model to enable close student and teacher interaction, promote individualized studies, and to encourage independent learning. An educational assistant is assigned to each class.
- Students organize to help our local, national, and world communities. Boys and girls work with "outreach" organizations to relieve some of the most pressing social needs.
- Themes are school-wide curriculum enrichment projects that allow the entire student body to study together as a community. Some previous themes include Black History, Poetry, The Election, Classical Literature and Earth Day.
- Students are encouraged to act in accord with their values and to always consider the best interests of others in their decision making. Caring, kindness, respect, responsibility, honesty and trustworthiness are central character building virtues emphasized throughout.
- Our Preschool Center is specially designed for infants, toddlers and preschoolers from 6 weeks old to 5 years old.
- Preschoolers, our 3-5 year old children, live in a magical time and space. The Preschool is a wonderland of opportunity to explore, discover and encounter the world. The program includes literature, reading readiness, math readiness, music movement, science discoveries, social studies explorations, physical education, computers, art, and playtime fun!
- Toddlers from 2-3 enjoy a fun-filled romp with everything our preschoolers do but tailored to their development. Language and social and motor skills receive special emphasis, as well as, careful attendance to emerging interests and voracious curiosity needs. All done under the guidance of warm, sensitive and genuinely caring teachers.
- Infants are our babies from 6 weeks old to under 2 years. And yes, they too have a scheduled day that includes music, movement, language, and activities for cognitive development to grow on. Personal schedules and routines are created under parental guidance. Food, sleep, diaper changing and much more are individualized. Daily reports are sent home. A baby's needs for gentleness, love, comfort, trust, and quality relationship with caregivers remain paramount concerns throughout each and every day!
Profile last updated: 02/02/2016
- School Location Miles Grades Students
SmithtownGrades: PK-6 | 358 students
211 Brooksite Drive
Smithtown, NY 11787
PatchogueGrades: NS-8 | 113 students
179 E Main Street
Patchogue, NY 11772
Stony BrookGrades: K-12
1266 N Country Rd
Stony Brook, NY 11790
PatchogueGrades: PK-12 | 51 students
1343 Montauk Hwy
Patchogue, NY 11772
Huntington StationGrades: PK-9 | 278 students
165 Pidgeon Hill Rd Ste 1
Huntington Station, NY 11746
The Laurel Hill School is so much more than a school and you all are so much more than teachers and staff...Laurel Hill is a home away from home and you all are family. You wrap your arms around our babies, big and small, and you nurture them, keep them safe, feed their minds and their souls, respect them, listen to them, support them, guide them, value them, inspire them, laugh with them, comfort them, and love them, every day and year after year. Your dedication is unending and the depth of our gratitude is immeasurable. There will always be a special place in our hearts for our Laurel Hill family.
- Posted by Parent - N. Brett
We are very grateful to all the teachers at The Laurel Hill School, where our children flourish and develop every day. We are particularly grateful to our 2-year-old's teacher, Mrs. Reese, who has opened her arms to our little rascal/angel from the very first day. In addition, Mrs. Reese's assistants are a continued source of support. We`d also like to specifically thank Mrs. Theisen and Mrs. S, who have taught our daughter pre-kindergartener amazing skills.
- Posted by Parent - AM
Laurel Hill was the most amazing decision I have made for my children. Every teacher is warm and kind. They are both so happy to go to school. I love to see the smiles on their face when I drop them off. The academics are stellar. Every child is catered to their needs.
- Posted by Parent - Courtney
Creative and nurturing school with solid academics geared to a child's specific level of ability to ensure the right mix of being challenged vs instilling confidence. Foreign Language, poetry / literature and creative writing are equally mixed with hands on science and math labs and projects. This school still has many field trips to reinforce classroom learning in all areas including art and music . Parents can still celebrate birthdays here with home made treats while still keeping those with allergies safe. Second graders learn script and the art of beautiful handwriting is taken seriously. Plays , poetry readings and chorus are part of the curriculum thereby ensuring the participation of all. A well rounded staff and administration strive for excellence in all they do . Everyone knows your name here and that's no small thing.
- Posted by Parent - Christine
My 3 year old started mid-year and he was very intimidated at first in a classroom setting. Mrs. Maggipinto and Mrs. Loeber have been such a positive force as he`s grown more in the last 4 months that I can hardly believe it`s the same boy. The class is full of happy girls and boys that radiates love and happiness. We are so lucky to be a part of the Laurel Hill family. What an amazing job all of the staff do loving our girls and boys when we aren`t there to love them ourselves! Thank you for all you do."
- Posted by Parent - Jaime James
Laurel Hill School has been, and continues to be, a great fit for our family. The caring teachers and administration help all of the students learn how to achieve their own highest academic performance. The school produces well rounded students with critical thinking, writing, mathematics, foreign language and creative arts as part of every grade's curriculum. Every grade employs a small-class size, close student/teacher interaction, individualized studies and independent learning. There are opportunities such as micro-society, the mentor program and teaching to the student's academic level which can not be found elsewhere. All of this in a neighborhood school with an excellent learning environment free from bullying.
- Posted by Parent - k_bfo
July 12, 2017
Here are five facts about Montessori schools to bear in mind when exploring preschools and primary schools for your child.
July 12, 2017
What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of a for profit versus a not for profit school? Is one kind of school better than the other?
July 11, 2017
Suggestions for the small school's IT infrastructure and services.