The Maryland School For The Blind
- The Maryland School for the Blind (MSB) is a private, nonprofit school dedicated to educating children and youth from infancy to age 21 who are blind, visually impaired, and multiply disabled.
- The school was founded in 1853 and our 100 acre campus is located in northeast Baltimore.
- Each year, MSB serves more than 1,000 students throughout all 24 Maryland jurisdictions through our on-campus and outreach programs.
- As a statewide resource center, MSB provides outreach, educational and residential services for students to reach their fullest potential by preparing them with the abilities to be as successful, independent and well-rounded contributing members of their communities as possible.
- The Maryland College and Career Ready Standards establish what our students need to know at targeted intervals during their K-12 education.
- Maryland’s College and Career-Ready Standards incorporate the Common Core State Standards and are built on high-quality academic expectations in English/Language Arts/Literacy and Mathematics that define the knowledge and skills all students should master by the end of each grade level.
- MSB also incorporates the Baltimore County Public Schools Curriculum (BCPS), Unique Learning System (ULS), along with the Expanded Core Curriculum (ECC) into our various K-12 classrooms.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Private Special Education Centers|
Other associations(s) for exceptional children
State or regional independent school association
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||148 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 30%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||35 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Admissions Director||Ruth Ann Hynson|
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Cheering, Swimming, Track and Field, WrestlingCheering, Swimming,|
Track and Field, Wrestling,
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Philadelphia Grades: PK | 217 students
6333 Malvern Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19151
(215)877-0313 80.6 PK
Most private schools have endowment funds. We explain how these work and why schools are fortunate to have them in tough times.
COVID-19 has turned education at every level upside-down, inside-out. We offer some steps to guide your planning for academic year 2020-21.
Teachers and parents are concerned about the teaching that will take place post-pandemic. I have tried to cover their concerns in the following set of questions and answers.