The Newton School
Tel: (703) 772-0480
The Newton School in Sterling, VA serves grades K-5 in the Lower School and grades 6-8 in the Middle School.
It is designed for bright children who can benefit and thrive in a less traditional school environment.
The school offers small class sizes, hands-on, individualized academics, and a lot of physical activity built into the curriculum.
All students participate in at least 60 minutes of intense exercise during the school day in a facility with more than 10,000 square feet of gym space. Our gym space includes a foam pit, sports court, ball pit, trampolines, and more. We believe that integrating movement into the school day helps enhance academic performance, improve physical ability, build self-esteem, and prepare children to better meet life`s challenges.
The Newton School places among the top 20% of private schools in Virginia for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||AdvancED|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||ADHD, Anxiety, LD, Dyslexia|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$500|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||Discount for Newton students, siblings, or more than 4 weeks.|
|Total Students||90 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||19 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||8 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$30,600|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition includes all school supplies and field trips.|
|Admissions Director||Allison Abraham|
The Newton School is designed for bright students who benefit and thrive in a less traditional environment. The program includes:
- Small class sizes Typically 8 students with two teachers in the Lower School and 4-6 students per class in the Middle School. Overall student to teacher ratio 4 to 1.
- Twenty-two full-time faculty. Over 70% have Masters Degrees or higher.
- Guided by the Virginia Standards of Learning for Reading, Writing, Oral Language, Math, Science and Social Studies.
- Additional subjects such as Music, Art, and Drama offered weekly.
- Highly customized and flexible instruction within the classroom to meet the needs of our students.
- Sixty minutes of physical activity, "Movement", integrated into the day, using the 10,000 square feet of gym space including trampolines, a foam pit, a ball pit, sports court and basketball court.
- An integrated Social program, designed and led by a full time Speech and Language Therapist, with each class participating in a social group twice a week.
- Occupational Therapist supporting teachers and students, in the classroom one day per week.
- Organizational skills class taught in all grades. Executive functioning support provided in the classrooms throughout the day.
- Dedicated laptop computers for each student with Google Classroom suite of applications, Kidspiration/Inspiration software and individual online accounts. Computers are kept at school and maintained by IT staff.
- Written communication from teachers to parents sent home every day.
- Weekly field trips including recent trips to The Building Museum, The Kennedy Center, The Reston Zoo, The Air and Space Museum, The Manassas National Battlefield Park, and Adventure Theater at Glen Echo.
- After school activities every day from 3:15-6pm including homework groups, clubs, snacks and movement. Costs not included in tuition.
- Accredited by AdvancED in 2015.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Ashburn Grades: NS-6
42945 Waxpool Road
Ashburn, VA 20148
(703) 723-3364 5.8 NS-6
- Ashburn Grades: K-8 | 423 students
21370 St. Theresa Lane
Ashburn, VA 20147
(703) 729-3577 4.8 K-8
This hub page lists over three dozen articles dealing with issues in high school such as academics and discipline.
TLTR? There are a couple of private school documents which you need to read.
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.