The Oxbow School
5.00 (3 reviews)
- The Oxbow School is a semester program in Napa, California focusing on studio artmaking and interdisciplinary humanities.
- This program provides juniors, seniors, and gap-year students the opportunity for an intensive art experience and thought-provoking academic instruction. The atmosphere at Oxbow is one of artistic and social exploration combined with rigorous academics designed to prepare students for college and beyond. Oxbow alumni often go on to earn distinguished art and writing awards, and earn offers of admission and win scholarships at top colleges and universities.
- We invite students to enlarge their artistic vision and enhance their technical skills in an environment dedicated to supporting artistic inquiry.
- Take this opportunity to further your education, expand your social horizons, explore your passion for art, and create a new foundation for your future! Oxbow also offers a spirited and engaging summer art program for students ages fourteen to sixteen. Oxbowschool.org .
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)|
|Grades Offered||Grades 8-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$3,700|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||Tuition is all inclusive. Room & board, food, books, supplies, field trips and many other costs are included.|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||95 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||8 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||12:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$29,000|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition is all inclusive. Room & board, food, books, supplies, field trips and many other costs are included. Need and merit scholarships available.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Holly McVeigh|
|Admissions Associate||Jason Tucker|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Climbing, Cycling, Kayaking, Mountaineering, Ultimate FrisbeeClimbing, Cycling,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||3 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
After School Art Program Mentor, Garden Crew, volunteer club - Pet Shelte
- The Oxbow curriculum is designed to match the requirements of the nation`s best public and private high schools and is as committed to academics as it is to art making. All of the courses at Oxbow are accredited, honors level, and college preparatory. The Oxbow School is a private, independent and not for profit organization.The Oxbow School is located in Napa, California, forty-five minutes from San Francisco, one hour from the Pacific coast, and within a few hours of exceptional state and national parks. Students enjoy an inspirational campus setting while still having access to all the amenities of downtown Napa, which is just a short stroll from campus. At Oxbow, studio art practice is not about waiting for inspiration; we believe that artists design problems and then solve them, opening up new ideas and possibilities while responding to materials that re-shape the originating question. Students leave Oxbow with a set of skills that can be reconfigured to meet the challenges of ever-changing goals and environments.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Napa Grades: 1-12 | 40 students
1600 F Street
Napa, CA 94559
(707)255-6412 1.1 1-12
- Napa Grades: PK-12 | 114 students
2055 Redwood Rd.
Napa, CA 94558
(707)258-9030 2 PK-12
- Napa Grades: K-12 | 120 students
2201 Pine St
Napa, CA 94559
(707)255-5233 1.3 K-12
- Angwin Grades: 9-12 | 87 students
One Angwin Ave.
Angwin, CA 94508
(707)200-2648 20.6 9-12
Oxbow is a one-semester only boarding school for about 40 motivated students from across the nation interested in a visual exploration while also engaged in an honors-level academic experience. My son attended in 11th grade and came back with greater maturity, independence, & an appreciation for true inquiry both in the arts and academically. He was well equipped for the rigor of RISD where he studies graphic design. But you don't have to plan on being an artist to attend. The point is to inspire creativity in thought and work in all disciplines. The semester culminates in a final project involving a major art project, a research paper, and a formal oral presentation and is an amazing event that highlights what this program is all about. The dorms are very nice. The food is excellent. Napa is a lovely and safe town. An hour or so from San Francisco airport. Cannot recommend this school more highly.
- Posted by Parent - Pamela T
I am a proud alum of OS 14- ten years later and Oxbow has continued to make impact my life, both personally and in my career. Oxbow provides a kind of education that never expires.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Rmans
We are so grateful for the Oxbow School for providing an environment where students feel safe to delve into subject areas deeply, to look outward with an open mind, inward with introspection, and to create, thoughtfully! Our daughter had an incredible semester there (OS34, Spring 2016, second semester Junior Year). She really pushed her own boundaries, and grew so much in maturity and confidence as a result. Before the Oxbow experience, she wasn't sure about what direction or what colleges she want to apply to; but after the Oxbow School, she has become more certain of what she wants. Oxbow is like a little piece of paradise, thanks to the incredibly nurturing and supportive staff and environment, not to mention the amazing food cooked with love! I highly recommend the Oxbow School to any young person who feels that the conventional school environment doesn't satisfy them, and that they are yearning for more "learning that's not divided into 7 period days."
- Posted by Parent - karen
Choosing a college is one of the rituals every family with a junior in private school needs to cope with. These five metrics will give you an overview of the process.
A long summer break offers plenty of time for a wide range of activities for every age group. Here are some of the options available.
Educating a gifted child can be daunting as there is no clear roadmap for your child's education. Some thoughts and suggestions here.