The Vanguard School
5.00 (2 reviews)
The Vanguard School Photo #2 - Average class sizes are 6-10 students and student-to-teacher ratios are 6:1.
The Vanguard School Photo #3 - At The Vanguard School we cater to the whole student. Instructors adjust their level of support, and set the instructional level according to each student`s unique academic plan.
The Vanguard School Photo #4 - Located in Lake Wales, Florida, students enjoy warm, tropical temperatures with blue skies all year round.
- The Vanguard School is an independent, co-educational, boarding and day school for children in grades 6-12 who learn differently.
- We have been providing educational excellence to students who learn differently since 1966.
- Our purpose is to provide a quality education to students and prepare them for post-secondary education and independent living.
- Vanguard's program is for learners on an average to above average learning scale.
- We provide a structured program which focuses on each students capabilities in and out of the classroom.
- Vanguard offers an immense amount of support for students who have been frustrated with their learning in other academic settings.
- By helping to eliminate these frustrations Vanguard successfully provides its students with new opportunities for college placement and various other interests they may not have been able to achieve without the support and direction provided in this program.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
Florida Council of Independent Schools (FCIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia, Language-based, ADD, ADHD, Dysgraphia, Dyscalcula, Highly Independent Aspergers Students|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||106 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 41%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||27 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|Advanced Courses||Biology, English, Physics|
|Average ACT score||18|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Khaki or navy pants/shorts, blue jeans allowed, navy or white collared shirts)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$48,500|
|Tuition Notes||7-day boarding students for 2018-2019|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Candi Medeiros|
|Admissions Associate||Liliana Marshall|
|Endowment Size||$4 million|
|Total Sports Offered||9 sports|
|Sports||Archery, Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, WeightliftingArchery, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Golf,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||12 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Anime Club, Billiards, Community Service Clubs, Cooking Club, Equestrian Club, Gamers' Club, Intramural Chess, Key Club, Lady's Fitness, Wood Shop Club
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Intramural Sports, Tennis
- The Vanguard School provides opportunities for students to participate in sports including basketball, soccer, golf, cross country, tennis and volleyball. Vanguard is sanctioned by Florida High School Athletic Association and our courses are all NCAA approved. We have a student center, gymnasium, junior size olympic swimming pool and lake front access. Trips to Disney World, Legoland, Busch Gardens in Tampa, Sea World, MGM studios, Universal Studios and many other points of interest in Florida are all a popular part of the Vanguard experience.
- LD types supported: Dyslexia, ADD/ADHD, Language Based Learning Disabilities
- School accreditations: FCIS, SACS
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Haines City Grades: 1-12 | 57 students
706 Melbourne Ave
Haines City, FL 33844
(863)422-4999 8.2 1-12
- Kissimmee Grades: PK-12 | 373 students
2440 Fortune Road
Kissimmee, FL 34744
(407)891-7723 26.5 PK-12
actually I am a grandparent who was anxious about our asperger grandson. I watched public schools just move him along. I watched his self esteem diminish. I feared he would need a basement to spend the rest of his life in...BUT Vanguard turned all of that around. He is thriving and has a future...and he plays tennis!! I'm not kidding! He got a four point the first semester he was there and those grades I trust..HE has friends and his self esteem has returned..and he has a lovely sense of humor!! thank you Vanguard school.....
- Posted by Parent - marti
Our son is just finishing up his first year of high school and has almost straight A's and absolutely loves this school. Huge improvement in academics, independence and Social Skills! Having mentors assigned play a huge part. Of course the Principal and teachers are terrific too! I would highly recommend Vanguard to any parent!
- Posted by Parent - bonni
As you begin to evaluate schools, keep these five basic questions in mind.
The Cristo Rey Network of schools currently comprises some 26 schools in 17 states and the District of Columbia. Truth is they are just getting started.
Teaching gifted children requires deft handling. These children need intellectual and sensory stimulation. But they also need guidance and careful nurturing so that they grow up handling their special gifts and themselves appropriately.