The Waldorf School Of San Diego
5.00 (6 reviews)
The Waldorf School Of San Diego Photo #2 - Discovering how things work in Kindergarten, with warm and loving guidance from a class teacher, assistant or parent volunteer.
The Waldorf School Of San Diego Photo #3 - Growing our own food is part of our curriculum from KIndergarten on up!
The Waldorf School Of San Diego Photo #4 - Phenomenological science keep those High Schoolers' interested!
The Waldorf School Of San Diego Photo #5 - Plenty of healthy outdoor play at recess, lunch and at other times during the school day allows us to concentrate better in class!
The Waldorf School Of San Diego Photo #6 - Friendships that last a lifetime are a hallmark of the Waldorf experience. Famous Alumni: Sandra Bullock and Jennifer Anniston, Nobel Prize Winner Thomas Sudhof, designer Tomas Maier (Bottega Veneta), American Express CEO Kenneth Chenault, Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg, and many more!
The Waldorf School Of San Diego Photo #7 - We learn both French and Spanish in an immersion style. Our wonderful language teachers use pop music, games, stories and poetry to open our ears to other languages and our hearts to other cultures!
The Waldorf School Of San Diego Photo #8 - Movement is an essential part of the curriculum....we do a wonderful form of dance movement called Eurythmy, non-competitive games, team sports, and much more!
The Waldorf School Of San Diego Photo #9 - How do you make Geometry fun?....use art! Using an arts-integrated curriculum allows students to use ALL their gifts and talents to enhance their academic work. Singing, dancing and playing stringed instruments, knitting and sewing, painting and drawing, metalwork and basketry, all nourish the soul as well as the mind!
The Waldorf School Of San Diego Photo #10 - Making mechanics fun! We offer a hands-on experiential curriculum where student "do" rather than just "looking" in a text book. The experience stays with the student going deeply into muscle memory and the artistic work helps solidify the process. WOW, real learning rather than rote memorization!
- Waldorf education is holistic, developmentally appropriate, innovative, and inspires a true love of learning in student! There are now over 1200 Waldorf schools worldwide making Waldorf education the fastest growing independent school movement in the world! 94% of Waldorf High School graduates go on to a 4 year college or university, and over 50% then go on to Masters or Ph.D programs. College and University professors LOVE Waldorf students..... "I have deep concerns about the scientific education in this country-.If I am seeing the cream of the crop then the rest of the country must be in pretty bad shape! What I saw yesterday at a Waldorf school convinces me that there is still hope- The Waldorf student workbooks were unbelievable!....this one beautifully drawn image captured the essential anatomical and physiological essence of a unit of function of the kidney (the nephron)-it could only have been made by someone who really "got it"-This is it this is what is missing! If all our students knew how to work in this manner, just think of the marvelous science we could do!" Daniel J. Kenan, M.D., Ph.D, Assistant Professor of Pathology, Duke University Medical School.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Waldorf Schools of North America|
Waldorf Early Childhood Association of North America
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild Learning Differences, evaluated on an individual basis|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||Summer Camp averages $240 per week|
|Total Students||304 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||28 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||11:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||22 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Modest, appropriate and practical clothing without icons, TV characters or logo)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 31 / Aug. 30 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$18,000|
|Tuition Notes||Annual tuition ranges from $10930-$21810. The hallmark of Waldorf education is that it be "accessible to all" so we have a Tuition Aid program (ask for details) that fosters socioeconomic diversity in our school.|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Julie Joinson|
|Admissions Associate||Lori Williamson, Registrar|
|Total Sports Offered||18 sports|
|Sports||Archery, Baseball, Basketball, Climbing, Crew, Cross Fit, Dance, Flag Football, Indoor Soccer, Kayaking, Soccer, Softball, Surf Team, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, VolleyballArchery, Baseball,|
Crew, Cross Fit,
Dance, Flag Football,
Indoor Soccer, Kayaking,
Surf Team, Swimming,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||4 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Drama & Skit Club, French Club, Gay Straight Alliance
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Recreational Athletic Programs
- Waldorf education offers an arts-integrated curriculum engaging the whole child: head, heart and hands. The best way to understand and experience the curriculum is to attend a tour of the school to see for yourself why Waldorf education is so different. The comprehensive once-per-month school tour takes you through each program in our school, from Nursery through High School, so that you can see our teachers in action with their students! Waldorf education believes in bringing "the right thing at the right time" truly meeting the child where they are. This respect for the development phases of childhood results in happy, healthy students, harmonious classrooms, and a culture of true respect between teachers and students, as well as between each student. The students engage in the creative curriculum using ALL their senses, gifts and talents. They emerge from our High School with an authentic understanding of who they are, and their place in both their local and global communities. Social justice and hands-on community service are a hallmark of our school community. Technology and media are tools for use in the upper grades after students have developed their social and emotional skills (learning how to "be" is as important as learning how to "do"!) and developed their capacities for imaginative thinking (outside the box!). Education expert, Sir Ken Robinson says that in order to educate students for the future (and for jobs that have yet to be created!) that "creativity must be made as important as literacy!". You will find all that you have been seeking in a school, and more! Please call and come visit us TODAY!
- School Location Miles Grades Students
I graduated from The Waldorf School of San Diego (WSSD), Class of 2015, spent 3 years at Mesa Community College (majoring in Chemistry, then Business, finally finding my passion in Anthropology!) graduating in May 2018 with High Honors (and zero student debt). I applied to UCLA, UCSD, USD and SDSU and was accepted at all of them. I will be heading to SDSU in the Fall, majoring in Anthropology and minoring in Spanish and plan to complete my bachelors and exit with zero student debt. My success as a college student can be traced back to my positive educational experience at WSSD. Smaller class sizes, teachers who are passionate and care about each student, an arts-integrated curriculum that helps students think more creatively and stay engaged even in subjects like history, science, math, etc. and an entire community of parents who are super supportive! Thanks mom for choosing Waldorf ! I am so appreciative of the sound educational foundation I received there!
- Posted by Student/Alumni - MJJS
I wish every family would check out the Waldorf School of San Diego. This education meets the child in the post positive, loving and caring way imaginable. 94% of their high school graduates go to college, and more than 50% of those students go on to even higher learning. The teachers at this school are remarkable in their dedication to their students. Rote memorization and teaching to the test are unheard of here! Instead, the children receive a hands-on, experiential curriculum full of wonder, awe and fun! They learn SO much yet are having so much FUN they don't think of it as studying/learning! The absolute best education available in San Diego today!!! They fill up quickly and have waiting lists for many classes so don't miss out!
- Posted by Parent - jjjoi
My son is currently in Grade 4 at The Waldorf School of San Diego and he couldn't be happier. We, his parents, couldn't be happier! Not only are the curriculum and education top-notch, but the community is wonderful and the teachers and staff are truly dedicated and amazing. We feel blessed to be a part of such a great school.
- Posted by Parent - mmwal
My daughter just graduated as a senior after an amazing 13 year journey through The Waldorf School of San Diego and she will be going to university in the Fall, studying science. 3 of her small class of 10 graduating seniors are going into the field of engineering (computer engineering, chemical engineering and environmental engineering), 2 are going into fashion (one with a passion for fashion design, the other with an eye on costuming), 1 will be studying nursing, 1 has been accepted into university but is deferring to engage in a structured gap year, 1 will be studying English and possibly the dramatic arts, 1 is studying the photographic arts, and 1 is an excellent dancer and has been accepted to a state university. All of them are engaged, socially adept, have a variety of academic and artistic interests, they're sporty, they sing or are accomplished musicians....and they are looking forward with excitement to what the university years will offer them. A Waldorf education is a gift for any child, I highly recommend it!
- Posted by Parent - desig
I have been going to The Waldorf School of San Diego since I was in Kindergarten and I am now in their High School. I love the small but passionate student group we have here. They are smart, friendly and kind, and are really my second family! The teachers are so interested in helping you succeed, giving excellent guidance in each subject as well as in personal mentoring relationships. I love the focus on social service and I''m excited about our extended visit to Peru early next year to work with under-served indigenous mountain people in a remote area. I am interested in pursuing math and science at the university level and know that my Waldorf education has served me well in this regard. I would highly recommend Waldorf to any parent seeking a well rounded, thoughtful education!
- Posted by Student/Alumni - the_b
My daughter has been attending the Waldorf School of San Diego for a year and a half now. She is six years old and has been in the kindergarten program. Her teacher Ms. Susan Starr is devoted to giving each child and family a safe and attentive space to be completely vulnerable and from which to let all the most subtle and complex parts of the child to bloom with grace and nurturing. The classroom is set up to surround all the senses with beauty from the warm rose colored lazure painted walls, to the natural toys made from wood, stone, natural fibers and natural elements. We love the community of dedicated parents and staff. We are grateful to have found this community dedicated to the small things that nurture the qualities in childhood that procuce resilient adults: Reverence, rhythm, diversity and community among others.
- Posted by Parent - sarah
What are the attributes which make 21st century military schools so special? We find out in this article.
A parent and I chat about finding the best school for her daughter. While the parent may be fictitious, her questions are quite typical of the kind of questions and concerns parents have when thinking about sending their children to private school.
We look at several ways you can use to search for private schools. Whether you are beginning the search process for a school for your child or just want to find out more about particular schools, we offer some tips and tricks to make searching more efficient.