The Waldorf School Of San Diego
5.00 (6 reviews)
Discovering how things work in Kindergarten, with warm and loving guidance from a class teacher, assistant or parent volunteer.
Plenty of healthy outdoor play at recess, lunch and at other times during the school day allows us to concentrate better in class!
Friendships that last a lifetime are a hallmark of the Waldorf experience. Famous Alumni: Sandra Bullock and Jennifer Anniston, Nobel Prize Winner Thomas Sudhof, designer Tomas Maier (Bottega Veneta), American Express CEO Kenneth Chenault, Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg, and many more!
We learn both French and Spanish in an immersion style. Our wonderful language teachers use pop music, games, stories and poetry to open our ears to other languages and our hearts to other cultures!
Movement is an essential part of the curriculum....we do a wonderful form of dance movement called Eurythmy, non-competitive games, team sports, and much more!
How do you make Geometry fun?....use art! Using an arts-integrated curriculum allows students to use ALL their gifts and talents to enhance their academic work. Singing, dancing and playing stringed instruments, knitting and sewing, painting and drawing, metalwork and basketry, all nourish the soul as well as the mind!
- Waldorf education was created in answer to the question "Is there a way to educate children to bring peace to the world " There are now over 1200 Waldorf schools worldwide making Waldorf education the fastest growing independent school movement in the world! 94% of Waldorf High School graduates go on to a 4 year college or university, and over 50% then go on to Masters or Ph.D programs. College and University professors LOVE Waldorf students..... "I have deep concerns about the scientific education in this country-.If I am seeing the cream of the crop then the rest of the country must be in pretty bad shape! What I saw yesterday at a Waldorf school convinces me that there is still hope- The Waldorf student workbooks were unbelievable!....this one beautifully drawn image captured the essential anatomical and physiological essence of a unit of function of the kidney (the nephron)-it could only have been made by someone who really "got it"-This is it this is what is missing! If all our students knew how to work in this manner, just think of the marvelous science we could do!" Daniel J. Kenan, M.D., Ph.D, Assistant Professor of Pathology, Duke University Medical School.
|School Type||Waldorf School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Waldorf Schools of North America|
Waldorf Early Childhood Association of North America
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild Learning Differences, evaluated on an individual basis|
|Total Students||329 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 43%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||28 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||12:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||22 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Modest, appropriate and practical clothing without icons, TV characters or logo)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 31 / Aug. 30 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$15,000|
|Tuition Notes||Annual tuition ranges from $10930-$21810. The hallmark of Waldorf education is that it be "accessible to all" so we have a Tuition Aid program (ask for details) that fosters socioeconomic diversity in our school.|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Julie Joinson|
|Admissions Associate||Lori Williamson, Registrar|
|Total Sports Offered||20 sports|
|Sports||Archery, Baseball, Basketball, Climbing, Crew, Cross Fit, Dance, Flag Football, Indoor Soccer, Kayaking, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Surf Team, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Water PoloArchery, Baseball,|
Crew, Cross Fit,
Dance, Flag Football,
Indoor Soccer, Kayaking,
Softball, Surf Team,
Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee,
Volleyball, Water Polo,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||3 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Drama & Skit Club, French Club
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Recreational Athletic Programs
- Waldorf education offers an arts-integrated curriculum engaging the whole child: head, heart and hands. It is vital to attend a tour of the school to see for yourself why Waldorf education is so different. The comprehensive once-per-month school tour takes you through each program in our school, from Nursery through High School, so that you can see our teachers in action with their students! Waldorf education believes in bringing "the right thing at the right time" truly meeting the child where they are - not where we think they should be! This respect for the specific development phases of childhood results in happy, healthy students, harmonious classrooms, and a culture of true respect between teachers and students, as well as between each student. The students engage in the creative curriculum using ALL their senses, gifts and talents. They emerge from our High School with a better understanding of who they are, and what their place is in both their local and global communities. Social justice and hands-on community service are a hallmark of our school community. Technology and media are tools for use in the upper grades after students have developed their social and emotional skills (learning how to "be" is as important as learning how to "do"!) and developed their capacities for imaginative thinking (outside the box!). Education expert, Sir Ken Robinson says that in order to educate students for the future (and for jobs that have yet to be created!) that "creativity must be made as important as literacy!". You will find all that you have been seeking in a school, and more! Please call and come visit us TODAY!
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- San DiegoGrades: K-8 | 90 students
3811 Mount Acadia Blvd
San Diego, CA 92111
- San DiegoGrades: PK-12 | 1227 students
6501 Linda Vista Rd
San Diego, CA 92111
- La JollaGrades: NS-12 | 1155 students
9490 Genesee Avenue
La Jolla, CA 92037
- Rancho Santa FeGrades: NS-10 | 535 students
6233 El Apajo Road
Rancho Santa Fe, CA 92067
- Chula VistaGrades: PK-12 | 501 students
1771 E Palomar Street
Chula Vista, CA 91913
Waldorf education has been a gift to my daughter for every one of the 11 years she has been a student here! This isn't just an education for the head, but also for the hands and the heart as well (something neglected by a great many schools today!). The curriculum is hands-on and so creative that the children LOVE learning. For example, how fun is it to learn your math times tables outside using a jump rope vs. the traditional method (memorize this chart). How about spending several weeks working with real metals in 9th grade (hammering copper, melting down pewter, and forging iron!) instead of looking at a text book on metals. Or better yet, how about going to Central or South America for real work in social justice and true community service (vs. picking up a bit of trash in the school parking lot)? This is the most creative and soul nourishing form of education I''ve ever come across! And it's validated every day in my daughter straight A report at the end of the year, along with the positive comments and compliments she receives about what a lovely, helpful and accomplished person she is becoming.
- Posted by Parent - jjjoi
I wish every family would check out the Waldorf School of San Diego. This education meets the child in the post positive, loving and caring way imaginable. 94% of their high school graduates go to college, and more than 50% of those students go on to even higher learning. The teachers at this school are remarkable in their dedication to their students. Rote memorization and teaching to the test are unheard of here! Instead, the children receive a hands-on, experiential curriculum full of wonder, awe and fun! They learn SO much yet are having so much FUN they don't think of it as studying/learning! The absolute best education available in San Diego today!!! They fill up quickly and have waiting lists for many classes so don't miss out!
- Posted by Parent - jjjoi
My son is currently in Grade 4 at The Waldorf School of San Diego and he couldn't be happier. We, his parents, couldn't be happier! Not only are the curriculum and education top-notch, but the community is wonderful and the teachers and staff are truly dedicated and amazing. We feel blessed to be a part of such a great school.
- Posted by Parent - mmwal
My daughter just graduated as a senior after an amazing 13 year journey through The Waldorf School of San Diego and she will be going to university in the Fall, studying science. 3 of her small class of 10 graduating seniors are going into the field of engineering (computer engineering, chemical engineering and environmental engineering), 2 are going into fashion (one with a passion for fashion design, the other with an eye on costuming), 1 will be studying nursing, 1 has been accepted into university but is deferring to engage in a structured gap year, 1 will be studying English and possibly the dramatic arts, 1 is studying the photographic arts, and 1 is an excellent dancer and has been accepted to a state university. All of them are engaged, socially adept, have a variety of academic and artistic interests, they're sporty, they sing or are accomplished musicians....and they are looking forward with excitement to what the university years will offer them. A Waldorf education is a gift for any child, I highly recommend it!
- Posted by Parent - desig
I have been going to The Waldorf School of San Diego since I was in Kindergarten and I am now in their High School. I love the small but passionate student group we have here. They are smart, friendly and kind, and are really my second family! The teachers are so interested in helping you succeed, giving excellent guidance in each subject as well as in personal mentoring relationships. I love the focus on social service and I''m excited about our extended visit to Peru early next year to work with under-served indigenous mountain people in a remote area. I am interested in pursuing math and science at the university level and know that my Waldorf education has served me well in this regard. I would highly recommend Waldorf to any parent seeking a well rounded, thoughtful education!
- Posted by Student/Alumni - the_b
My daughter has been attending the Waldorf School of San Diego for a year and a half now. She is six years old and has been in the kindergarten program. Her teacher Ms. Susan Starr is devoted to giving each child and family a safe and attentive space to be completely vulnerable and from which to let all the most subtle and complex parts of the child to bloom with grace and nurturing. The classroom is set up to surround all the senses with beauty from the warm rose colored lazure painted walls, to the natural toys made from wood, stone, natural fibers and natural elements. We love the community of dedicated parents and staff. We are grateful to have found this community dedicated to the small things that nurture the qualities in childhood that procuce resilient adults: Reverence, rhythm, diversity and community among others.
- Posted by Parent - sarah
January 23, 2018
Depending on their family circumstances, our Presidents received a wide range of primary and secondary schooling.
January 22, 2018
Part of the private school selection process is financial aid. We point out five issues about which you should be aware.
January 22, 2018
Changes to the Tax Code in late 2017 included the addition of saving for K-12 private school education to 529 plans. We take a look at what this means for families thinking about private school for their children.