Tiegerman is a New York State approved non-public school program (K-12) for students with language disorders and developmental disabilities.
Our programs focus on providing language-based learning for students to establish the foundation for their educational and social development and prepare them for a world filled with words, sentences, stories and messages.
We focus on the relationship between language development and academic success, providing intensive language immersion and academic instruction.
- School Type: Special Education School
- Grades: Prekindergarten-4
- Enrollment: 206 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Learning Difference Programs
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 40%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
- Tiegerman's motto, "Giving Our Children a Voice", reflects our goal to meet the needs of preschool and school age children with severe language and autism spectrum disorders. We believe that students with autism spectrum disorders have underlying language disorders.At Tiegerman, our mission is to identify children with language and autism spectrum disorders early to provide educational programs which will prepare them for a world filled with words, sentences, stories and messages. Language is a symbol system; it provides the means to reach out to the world. It is the most important skill that a child must learn early in life. Language provides the foundation for socializing, reading, questioning, writing and thinking.We use the Tiegerman Language Method (TLM) which is designed to stimulate and challenge children's language development. We believe that "language is everything and everywhere," so our children need to be immersed in language activities to learn. We teach children to talk in order to reach the person inside.Tiegerman is also committed to increasing public awareness about the unique needs of these children, since they are often misdiagnosed and misplaced in educational programs. Is a child language disordered because he has cognitive delays or does he have cognitive delays because he is language disordered?Tiegerman sets the pace in New York State with innovative programs that address the unique developmental needs of children struggling to develop the words to reach out to others. Interactive classrooms are structured as language laboratories with small class size, taught by a licensed professional faculty dedicated to each child`s social, emotional, intellectual and language development. All the children are immersed in language activities using different methods so that we reach each child and teach each child.A team of educators develop a custom program for each child that provides the right teacher, the right setting, and the right curriculum. If a student needs to focus on arithmetic, reading lessons will include numbers and social studies lessons will include counting states. Tiegerman uses curriculum that incorporates New York State Learning Standards.Students also receive specialized therapeutic services that support their unique needs. These may include: speech, physical and occupational therapy, counseling, adaptive physical education, and computer-based learning instruction.
Source: Verified school update
Frequently Asked Questions
When is the application deadline for Tiegerman (Formally School For Language & Communication Development)?
The application deadline for Tiegerman (Formally School For Language & Communication Development) is rolling (applications are reviewed as they are received year-round).
My daughter had a wonderful experience here. I highly recommend this school. Thank you, Tiegerman teachers!
Awesome School for children- great teachers
My son have not been at SLCD for a year yet and I already see a change this is the school that he needed he has a totally different outlook on school. My son is in the 5th grade and has disliked school since he started until he came to SLCD. All I could say is thank you SLCD for being in my sons life.
Endorse Tiegerman (Formally School For Language & Communication Development). Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
The Evolution of Early Reading Strategies for Children
Explore the journey of early reading strategies from the 17th century to the present day, uncovering the evolution of tools, methods, and technologies that have shaped how children learn to read. This article delves into the historical milestones and contemporary approaches that offer a fascinating look at literacy development in children.
The Evolution of School Choice: A Focus on Vouchers
Explore the history and evolution of school choice, focusing on vouchers. This article provides an in-depth analysis of vouchers' origins, growth, benefits, and criticisms as part of the broader school choice movement, along with a look at current trends and future outlook.
August 11, 2023Admissions Matters: Following Up, The Competition, & Deadlines
Navigating the complex landscape of private high school admissions requires expertise and insight. This article delves into essential areas that every school should master: inquiry follow-up, standing out in a competitive market, and choosing between rolling admissions and fixed admissions deadlines.