Ursuline High School
5.00 (2 reviews)
Tel: (330) 744-4563
Ursuline High School Photo #2 - In 2019, Ursuline High School graduated 115 students. These students were awarded $22 million in merit scholarships from some of the nation's top schools. 98% of our students matriculate to college. UHS has had more National Merit Scholars over the last 10 years than any other Mahoning Valley school.
Ursuline High School Photo #3 - Ursuline High School was founded in 1905 by the Ursuline Sisters of Youngstown. Our Catholic Identity is the heart and soul of our school. The school's motto, "Soli Deo Gloria", For the Glory of God Alone, drives our school community.
Ursuline High School Photo #4 - Ursuline High School academics are second to none in the Mahoning Valley. UHS's rigorous college preparatory curriculum prepares students well for life after high school. On site tutoring from teachers, peers & an intervention tutor is available for students. Small class sizes allow all students to receive individualized attention which allows them to meet their God given potential.
Ursuline High School Photo #5 - Ursuline students scores on the ACT, PSAT, and Advanced Placement (AP) exceed state & national pass rates. Students can benefit from 18 Advanced Placement programs, the most of any school in the Mahoning Valley.
Ursuline High School Photo #6 - Luke's Gospel says, "From everyone who has been given much, much will be required." UHS is proud of our service record to our local and international community. Seniors have the opportunity to take Christian Service Class which allows them to serve the community daily. Students of Stewardship & The Interact Club provides thousands of hours of local and international service.
Ursuline High School Photo #7 - Ursuline students have the opportunity to travel the world! Students of Stewardship takes part in a service trip to El Salvador to build homes for the impoverished. The Global Rovers, the international traveling group at UHS, travels to Europe, Canada, & the Caribbean on a regular basis. Trips to New York City & other major American cities are also taken.
Ursuline High School Photo #8 - In addition to four levels of traditional art courses, Ursuline offers students coursework in Ceramics, Multimedia Art, & Digital Photography. The Ursuline Theater Department stages four shows a year. The Marching & Concert Bands annually win awards for their superior performances. The Speech & Debate Team qualifies performers to the state & national competitions.
Ursuline High School Photo #9 - The Fighting Irish are known around the state of Ohio for their hard work, discipline, sportsmanship, and tradition of excellence. 17 Varsity Sports are played at Ursuline. The gymnasium & trophy cases are filled with District, Regional, & State Championship accolades. Student Athletes are annually recognized for both their academic & athletic successes.
- Established in 1905 by the Youngstown Ursuline Sisters, Ursuline High School has provided a community of faith and an academic environment within which young people are challenged and supported to become who they have been called to be by their Creator.
- Our religious heritage permeates every facet of life at Ursuline.
- We proclaim the Word through formal instructional programs, through experiential activities, and through the celebration of the Liturgy.
- We build community to reinforce Catholic values as the basis for decision-making and as the model for personal relationships.
- We foster respect for our differences in gender, creed, race, and nationality by celebrating our unique talents, gifts, and abilities and by developing relationships that energize us in our work together.
- We are committed to lives of service and our students have countless opportunities to reach out and befriend the poor, the elderly, and the dispossessed.Ursuline High School has a tradition of academic excellence demonstrated by our students who are named National Merit Finalists and Commended Scholars, by the rigorous standards of our eighteen Advanced Placement programs, and by the high percentage of Ursuline students (98%) who continue their education at colleges and universities around the country.
- Recent classes represent Ursuline today at Notre Dame University, John Carroll University, the University of Pennsylvania, NEOMED, and Ohio State University to name only a few.
- Commitment to the Fine and Performing Arts has long been a hallmark of the school.
- A full curriculum of studio art instruction is enhanced by elective courses in ceramics and multimedia art. Advanced Placement (AP) art courses are also available.
- The music program features marching and concert bands that successfully compete on local, regional, and national levels.
- Our theater department stages four major productions each year: Student One Acts in the fall, a major musical in December, a comedy or drama production in February, and the Spring Musical in May.
- Our students have multiple opportunities to develop their unique gifts and talents through a wide range of extra-curricular activities. Through these programs our students hone their leadership skills, recognize the importance of hard work, channel their energy and enthusiasm, develop their creativity and imagination, and form relationships with adult mentors and their peers who share their values and interests.Ursuline High School is blessed with a dedicated and talented staff who live the Ursuline motto Soli Deo Gloria - For the Glory of God Alone - each and every day.
- Over two-thirds of our teachers have master`s degrees, and all continue their education through planned professional development programs annually. The teachers commitment to their students extends beyond the classroom by serving as mentors, advisors, and chaperones.I invite you to learn more about Ursuline by exploring the pages of this website, and I encourage you to visit our school in person.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
Other school association(s)
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||434 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 19%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||37 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||12:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||20 students|
|Number of AP Courses||18 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$7,975|
|Admissions Director||Maggie Matune|
|Total Sports Offered||13 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Cheering, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Football,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||26 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Altar Servers, Art Club, Eucharistic Ministers, French Club, Global Rovers Travel Club, Interact Club, Italian Club, Lectors, Link Crew, Liturgy Committee, National Honor Society, Newspaper, Science Club, Ski Club, Spanish Club, Speech and Debate Team, Student Ambassadors, Student Council, Students of Stewardship, Video Game Club, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Band Program, Color Guard, Liturgical Choir, Majorettes, Theater Production
- Ursuline High School is a college preparatory school of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Youngstown, serving the people of the Mahoning Valley since 1905. We are a caring community of students, families, faculty, and staff who are dedicated to the challenging work of Catholic Education in the twenty-first century. We are inspired by the founding tradition of St. Angela Merici and the Ursuline Sisters to invite persons of diverse backgrounds into a family of faith, achievement, and promise. We instill and celebrate the riches of the Catholic witness of Christianity. We educate young people for life-long learning and living as responsible citizens in a global society. We seek to model the good character and wisdom of our ancestors in faith who have forged a living legacy of accomplishment.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Youngstown Grades: K-12 | 621 students
4401 Southern Blvd
Youngstown, OH 44512
(330) 788-8088 3.8 K-12
A great academic program with fantastic teachers!
- Posted by Parent - Betty H.
Ursuline was a great fit for my son who was involved in the band and speech team. The academics were top notch and my son ended up beginning college with 18 credits from his AP tests. The band program is excellent and my son ended up qualifying for the state speech tournament.
- Posted by Parent - John C.
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.