Village Community School
- Since its founding in 1970, Village Community School's goal has been to develop self-motivated students who view learning as an exciting and rewarding process that will continue throughout their lives.
- We strive to be a diverse community where equity, justice and excellence are interdependent, and children become effective citizens, with the ability to make meaningful contributions.
- Our social-studies based curriculum matches a child's developing ability to study the world across time and place, peoples and cultures.
- We teach subject matter in depth with a strong interdisciplinary focus, allowing children to gain a substantial body of knowledge, along with the ability to see the connections among various areas of learning.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
State or regional independent school association
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Total Students||358 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 30%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||45 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||20 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 1|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$43,750|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Esther Lee|
|Admissions Associate||Barbara Binswanger Charlton|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Cross Country, Soccer, Softball, Track and Field, VolleyballCross Country, Soccer,|
Softball, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||5 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Chorus, Jazz Band, Jazz Dance, Recorder Ensemble, Rock Band Chorus, Jazz Band, Jazz Dance, Rock Band, Recorder Ensemble,|
- Since its founding in 1970, Village Community School's goal has been to develop self-motivated students who view learning as an exciting and rewarding process that will continue throughout their lives. We strive to be a diverse community where equity, justice and excellence are interdependent, and children become effective citizens, with the ability to make meaningful contributions. Our social-studies based curriculum matches a child's developing ability to study the world across time and place, peoples and cultures. We teach subject matter in depth with a strong interdisciplinary focus, allowing children to gain a substantial body of knowledge, along with the ability to see the connections among various areas of learning.
- People that viewed Village Community School also viewed these schools: City Country School, The Town School, Brearley School, Ethical Culture Fieldston Schools and LREI (Little Red School House & Elisabeth Irwin High School).
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- New YorkGrades: PK-8 | 277 students
146 W 13th St
New York, NY 10011
- New YorkGrades: PK-8 | 400 students
540 E 76th St
New York, NY 10021
- New YorkGrades: K-12 | 681 students
610 East 83rd Street
New York, NY 10028
- New YorkGrades: K-6 | 447 students
33 Central Park W
New York, NY 10023
- New YorkGrades: PK-12 | 650 students
272 Sixth Avenue
New York, NY 10014
We just started at VCS. The school had been highly recommended through various families who are "true" New Yorkers having been raised in the city themselves.The k-8 system was new to me. But as I learned during the school tour process,it made a lot of sense given how focused it allows the administration to be in getting to know their students and creating a close knit school culture. So far we have been very impressed by the school administration and teachers. They are extremely professional and easily accessible. The class size and mixed grade classroom is amazing. Music, art, every day gym, foreign language, woodshop, and technology really complete the curriculum. Early hour teacher assistance and afterschool activities. The parent community is active and kind. Our children have embraced this school. Their first reactions were "the learning is really good here "and "I really love this school".
- Posted by Parent - GB
I was searching for high schools to apply to when I came across this website and had to express my love for my k-8 school: am a 14 year old girl in the 8th grade at VCS. I started VCS 9 years ago in kindergarten, or as we call it, the 5/6s. I can't tell you what this school has done for me. My grade is under 30 kids, so we are all super close. We each have our own passions, but we always support each other and try new things. I was the quiet girl in kindergarten, but VCS taught me what really matters, community and awareness for yourself and others. I am now confident in myself and my classmates. I honestly love my classmates more than I can say. We are seriously the biggest family ever. This sounds totally cliché, but VCS is the greatest gift you can give to your child. I used to be jealous of my friends who went to "top schools," but now I realize I would never trade my VCS experience for anything, Whereas other schools have cliques and popularity, we are really such a family. We all take pride in not fitting in to the "Status quo." For example, when some kids from another school invited some of us to see a (very inappropriate) movie, we all denied, and instead went to see Alvin and the Chipmuncks....and this was in 6th grade!!! VCS is an a fairly unknown school, but the academics are fantastic. I have discovered my passion for writing there. The arts and sports are incredible as well. I do theater and softball (the sports teams are all inclusive so that kids can discover their passions) and I do watercolor. Anyway, I am sorry for going on and on, but honestly, if you want your child to be an open-minded, self respecting, outgoing, (safe) risk taking student and person in general, I can honestly say VCS is the place. I just can't express my love for the students and teachers here. I just....I''m going to miss them all so much next year :(
- Posted by Student/Alumni - allie