Walden Community School
5.00 (4 reviews)
Tel: (407) 677-8225
- Walden offers a flexible and unique educational program that focuses on the development of each student's artistic, intellectual, emotional, and physical growth, building upon children`s intrinsic desire to know about the world.
- Led by excited, passionate teachers, who utilize hands-on activities and big-picture thinking, Walden students are motivated and eager learners, who take pride in their work and who take responsibility for their actions. Walden's high academic standards require students to produce original ideas and work to the best of their ability
- We offer a full-time program for K-12th graders (Mon-Fri), as well as part-time programs for homeschoolers from 1 to 4 days/week.
|School Type||Alternative School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia, ADD, Multiple Intelligences|
|Total Students||30 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||6 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Average SAT score||1470|
|Average ACT score||28|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$12,500|
|Tuition Notes||We accept the McKay, Gardiner, Hope, and FL Tax Credit Scholarships for full-time students. We also accept the Gardiner for part-time students. Discounts available for siblings and annual payment.|
|Admissions Director||Dr. Carol Mikulka|
|Admissions Associate||Ashley Carson, MA, LMHC|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||3 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Rotating After-School Clubs on Fridays, STEM Program
Arts and Music Programs:
- Our progressive approach to learning, with a 1:10 teacher/student ratio, allows each student to excel and progress far beyond the standards of a regular classroom. Seminar-based classes (even in our elementary school) require active participation from each student. Engaging students to become involved and excited about learning is the result. Our graduates have been accepted at New College, Smith, Elon, Stetson, and Rollins, among others. Walden fosters independent thinking and personal responsibility for success, and our students graduate well prepared to succeed in college.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Winter Park Grades: PK-12 | 128 students
1997 Aloma Avenue
Winter Park, FL 32792
(407) 875-2300 2.6 PK-12
We wanted more for our daughter and that's why we chose Walden Community School. We wanted her to love learning and to be excited about going to school every day. On top of that, we wanted her to be safe and in an environment that would give her the freedom that she needs to express herself and learn from her peers. The curriculum is extraordinary and I'm constantly blown away by the critical thinking and creative writing skills that she's been developing at Walden.
- Posted by Parent - Thali Sugisawa
Walden Community School provides a unique learning experience for students. Both of our children attend Walden.This is my son`s fifth year here and we couldn`t be happier. The personal attention and student to teacher ratio is hard to beat! The teachers are very passionate about their jobs and are great at motivating the kids to learn. Students can learn at their own pace. The curriculum is really interesting and keeps the kids engaged. Our kids love going to school and couldn't wait to get back as summer was coming to an end. We love Walden!
- Posted by Parent - Parent
I have 5 children and am a Montessori teacher who stumbled upon Walden Community School by lucky chance. With an extremely low student:teacher ratio and a tailor-made curriculum of project-based learning, it is unlike any other school my family has ever experienced. The director's passion and staff's dedication to best learning practices is evident as students learn, aspire and achieve beyond what is typical in other school settings. The community is warm, inclusive, creative and constructively challenging, inspiring children to reach their fullest potential. I would highly recommend Walden to any families seeking an alternative learning environment.
- Posted by Parent - Montessori Mom
Walden now has over 20 kids in Middle and High School (no elementary). This is a great school where the students get individualized / differentiated instruction. Students are motivated and encouraged to do the best they can. The school focuses on academics -- but also on the "whole child" -- their emotional, physical, academically and social needs.
- Posted by Parent - eisen
The SSAT’s questions are different than questions on other standardized tests. Make sure you learn about the best SSAT test prep programs out there.
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.