- The Waldorf School of Pittsburgh is located in the Bloomfield neighborhood of the city, housed in a Victorian-era mansion that is a city-designated historic landmark.
- The original residence, which was built circa 1867, was acquired by the Ursuline Sisters in the 1890s to be used as the Ursuline Young Ladies’ Academy, a Catholic girls’ school.
- The Ursulines made a number of additions to the original structure, including an auditorium/dormitory, chapel, and dining hall, but nonetheless maintained the integrity and beauty of the original building.
- The extensive walnut woodwork, decorative plaster ceilings, and other architectural details remain well preserved.
- The Ursuline Sisters finally sold the building in the early 1990s, leaving a nearly 100-year legacy of the building being used as a school.
- Our school serves children and parents coming from a rich variety of spiritual, cultural, social, and economic backgrounds.
- Indeed, this is an essential component of Waldorf education, where variety strengthens and enriches the spirit of brotherhood and community.
- Those drawn to the school find themselves and the world mirrored in the values and relationships that thrive here.
- The mission of the Waldorf School of Pittsburgh is to educate children using Waldorf curriculum and methods of teaching, which acknowledge and honor balance of the academic, emotional, and spiritual needs in child development while engaging families in education to create learning partnerships.
- The Waldorf School of Pittsburgh also strives to create a wider community of head, heart, and hands to create learning opportunities for the various audiences in the larger Pittsburgh area.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other special emphasis association(s)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Total Students||160 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||16 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||10:1
National avg.: 13:1
- School Location Miles Grades Students
PittsburghGrades: KG-8 | 352 students
4060 Allequippa St
Pittsburgh, PA 15261
PittsburghGrades: PK-6 | 184 students
550 Sleepy Hollow Road
Pittsburgh, PA 15228
PittsburghGrades: NS-6 | 245 students
950 Perry Highway
Pittsburgh, PA 15237
PittsburghGrades: K-8 | 84 students
5701 Fifth Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15232
PittsburghGrades: K-12 | 132 students
255 S. Negley Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15206
My son has attended the Waldorf School since he was two years old. He is now entering 5th grade, and we could not be happier. My son absolutely loves school, which is all the more extraordinary considering that a reading disability has meant that school does not always come easily for him. Thanks to Waldorf's incredible flexibility, individualized attention and commitment to meeting the students where they are, with all their individual gifts and struggles, my son not only has made tremendous academic strides, but he has done so with his curiousity, love of learning and self-esteem intact.
- Posted by Parent - alexa
May 15, 2017
Many famous children have attended private schools. Here is a sampling of schools and the famous folk who graced their hallowed halls.
May 11, 2017
As you narrow the field in your private school search process, you will develop a short list of three to five schools which you will evaluate in detail. Visiting each school is an essential part of your due diligence.
May 11, 2017
Learn more about the Private School Review "Ultimate Admissions Checklist," with top-flight tips from leading minds in education.