Western Pennsylvania School For The Deaf
Academics and Faculty
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Chess Club, Ecology, Fitness, Girl's Athletic Association, Photography
Arts and Music Programs:
Ceramics & Pottery, Drama
Recreational Athletic Programs:
View the Western Pennsylvania School For The Deaf yearly calendar below. Note key dates such as:
- The WPSD vision is for students to achieve at the same level as other children in society; to reach their highest potential in academics and citizenship; and to achieve independence, positive self-esteem and high personal aspirations.
- WPSD offers an all inclusive communication/language environment. Communication needs are met on an individual basis with emphasis on fluency in both English and American Sign Language.
- Over 25% of our student population has Cochlear Implants.
- The curriculum incorporates state and national standards.
- Mainstream opportunities are offered through a variety of local programs including the student's home school district, a local private elementary school and a public vocational training center.
- WPSD offers a complete after school program including a fully equipped fitness center, a variety of clubs and a comprehensive athletic program.
- Our staff includes speech language pathologists, audiologists, a school psychologist, a communication teacher, an occupational/physical therapist, guidance counselors and an art therapist.WPSD provides support services as needed.
- The Residential Program, open to students from preschool through 12th grade, is an integral part of WPSD. The residential staff provides care and guidance in a warm yet structured environment that includes clubs, social activities and athletic programs.
- American Sign Language classes are offered on-campus and at a variety of off-campus locations. Classes are also offered to the corporate community.
- The Choices for Children parent-infant program provides early intervention services through home visits and on-campus activities to deaf and hard-of-hearing infants, toddlers and their families through agencies across Pennsylvania.
Endorse Western Pennsylvania School For The Deaf. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards